Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What dialect is he speaking? Specify sub-region if you can
Northern (Upper Midwest, Inland North, NYC, New England, etc) 22 31.88%
Midland 13 18.84%
Southern 3 4.35%
Western 12 17.39%
General American 10 14.49%
I don't know, never heard anyone talk like this 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:26 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,536,058 times

Advertisements

I hear an Italian accent in the video more than I hear any kind of regional accent. I've had some conversations with a few Italians from New York, Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Houston, and they all have the same or very similar accent. If you listen close, the Italian accent is very detectable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,987,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I hear an Italian accent more than a regional accent. I've had some conversations with a few Italians from New York, Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Houston, and they all have the same or very similar accent. If you listen close, the Italian accent is very detectable.
Well, NYC and Chicago are in similar accent families so to an extent that is true. But I have lived in Baltimore and Kentucky and my family is from Boston and I can assure you Italians there sound just like everyone else. And Italians in Boston are known for having STRONG Boston accents, not Italian ones.

Besides which, that's not what an Italian accent sounds like at all. He doesn't tense his I vowels (will sounds like wheel for example) for one and he doesn't use broad A's for every A vowel (the sound in pasta).

Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 AM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
What is so important about this particular guys accent to begin with? He doesn't really speak with any accent that sticks out. Such as a southern or Northeastern type accents. So how did this particular person, get picked for this discussion?. I just don't think he really speaks with a noticeable accent.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What is so important about this particular guys accent to begin with? He doesn't really speak with any accent that sticks out. Such as a southern or Northeastern type accents. So how did this particular person, get picked for this discussion?. I just don't think he really speaks with a noticeable accent.
It's not really of importance to you, so why post?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 917,861 times
I hear some California twang in his voice. He sounds sort of like a typical Los Angeles dude.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What region of the country does this guy sound like he's from? I gotta admit I am stumped. Sounds maybe Midland* of some kind to me. But, I honestly have no clue. Weirdest accent I've ever heard.

http://youtu.be/NSas5jiAREk

*By Midland I mean the dialect families spanning from the Mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania, NJ, Delaware, Northern Maryland), going west to Central Ohio, most of Indiana and Illinois, and the lower Midwest and parts of New Mexico.

Also to clear up, I am going with the linguist definiton of "Northern" meaning New England, all of New York, the Great Lakes area, and the Upper Midwest. Some Census designated Northern cities like Philly, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Omaha are not included because they are in the transitional Midland dialect zone where language is neither Northern or Southern
Sounds Midland - probably Illinois/Indiana suburban (but not Chicago city), possibly western Ohio or southern Michigan - maybe central midwest suburban? His accent on "you guys" indicates he is west of Penn/north of southern IL. He does not use a long "o" sound (e.g. in "boat"), which indicates he is not from far northern IL/Michigan or any part of Minn/Wisc. He is unlikely from city of Chicago because he doesn't have indications like "DD for TT inversion" (e.g. "midden" instead of "mitten") and has a sharp "th" sound pattern. His faster speech pace indicates he is midland suburban (likely not far from a big city like Chicago/Detroit - but not from the "neighborhood"). East Coast is also a faster pace, but I do not hear any East Coast accent at all, such as with the "r" sound, or even use of any East Coast colloquialisms.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,384,812 times
Sounds vaguely Southern to my ears. Maybe more Lower Midwestern, but I'm not really sure.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,439,550 times
Quote:
Western? Isn't a Western accent essentially an extension of the Midland? Most people I meet from Western States have no distinguishable accent except maybe for a few odd phrases but that isn't an accent, anyway.
I probably didn't make it very clear in my other post. What I was intimating is that Oklahoma has a good mix of Western AND Southern. Mostly like northern Texas or the westside of Arkansas, if that makes sense. It's not Deep Southy, but still obviously a derivative of Southern speech.

Yeh, the guy's accent in the original video sounds eastern coastish. Again, the person that said he was probably a transplant living in Florida is probably right.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Sounds Midland - probably Illinois/Indiana suburban (but not Chicago city), possibly western Ohio or southern Michigan - maybe central midwest suburban? His accent on "you guys" indicates he is west of Penn/north of southern IL. He does not use a long "o" sound (e.g. in "boat"), which indicates he is not from far northern IL/Michigan or any part of Minn/Wisc. He is unlikely from city of Chicago because he doesn't have indications like "DD for TT inversion" (e.g. "midden" instead of "mitten") and has a sharp "th" sound pattern. His faster speech pace indicates he is midland suburban (likely not far from a big city like Chicago/Detroit - but not from the "neighborhood"). East Coast is also a faster pace, but I do not hear any East Coast accent at all, such as with the "r" sound, or even use of any East Coast colloquialisms.
Ah so is that what people mean when they say East Coast tone? Like they walk fast? If so that makes sense.

I didn't even know there were Midland accents in Michigan. Thought everyone there was too far North for that; then again they do reach Toledo.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:30 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
Quote:

I didn't even know there were Midland accents in Michigan. Thought everyone there was too far North for that; then again they do reach Toledo.
Yeh, probably should have said North Central Midland and/or Southern Great Lakes regional accent. Further north, they sound a lot different - IMO big difference between Michiana speakers and speakers from UP Mich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.