Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

Alright so sorry for the randomness, but this is killing me and for some reason Google is NOT helping at all. But basically, do you know of any place where it smells like Spring in the air all year round (or at least most of the year)?? I'm assuming if any place it would be one of the coastal states (geographically I feel Hawaii/North Carolina? might have this affect for longer periods than many places, but I'm not sure).

So I love the smell of Spring like more than anything else in the world. Basically if it was a drug I'd be addicted to it, out in the field sniffing the grass like a raggity bum all night long. And I don't like that knock-off crap either! I can tell the difference between the actual smell of Spring in the air outside and those cheap Spring scented candles/incense/soaps/etc..., only the good stuff for me! (but honestly, who actually thinks those Spring scented things smell remotely close to the real thing?)

Problem is Spring doesn't last long enough and I really don't even care for going outside and doing outdoor activities unless it's Spring (and some parts of Fall feel right in the air at times as well). I know it sounds crazy, but it's just something I've learned about me - I don't enjoy just walking around outside taking in the world if the air doesn't feel that pleasant. I don't even like to swim outside in the Summer because it just doesn't feel as 'fresh' being out there for long periods of time [feel free to call me weird]. Currently I live in Chicago (used to live in Michigan) but am planning on moving again soon. Conveniently I've got about enough set aside to move to anywhere (except California really isn't ideal because most of the Springish-like places all year round cost just an absurd amount of money to live in). I haven't looked into Hawaii really, but I assume that it costs even more than most Californian cities - so that may be difficult.

I remember I loved smelling the air in southeastern Florida (Ft. Lauderdale specifically) as a kid and teen. Although this was a long time ago and I can't even remember what time of year I was there usually (I believe Summer though) or know for a fact if this smell was 'Spring' or just the ocean. Plus I don't want to pay to travel all the way to Florida just to smell the air. If any of you have any input then I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synosaurus View Post
I remember I loved smelling the air in southeastern Florida (Ft. Lauderdale specifically) as a kid and teen. Although this was a long time ago and I can't even remember what time of year I was there usually (I believe Summer though) or know for a fact if this smell was 'Spring' or just the ocean. Plus I don't want to pay to travel all the way to Florida just to smell the air. If any of you have any input then I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks everybody.
When I started reading your post that's what came to mind for me. I grew up in Hollywood Fl clsoe to the coast and fondly remember the constant fragrance of scents like Gardenia, Night-Blooming Jasmine and Orange Blossom. I would say anywhere from Broward County south to the northern Keys or SW Florida from Fort Myers south would be good options.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Florida might be your best bet.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,383 times
The deep South - Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina

Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
The deep South - Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina
How is it in Alabama, Georgia, and such? I imagine that the smell would be more prominent near the coast or mountains (like North and South Carolina). But thanks for the replies guys! I'm definitely narrowing down my search to the south east (basically Virginia and anything south of it, and any states east of Texas).

The Florida coast seems great but is something I would like to consider potentially later in my life. The year round temperatures there can be potentially counter productive because I would enjoy having my windows open often but the heat can be unbearable at times. Also this may sound bizarre, but after being used to Lake Michigan and inland lakes all my life - I couldn't imagine my normal swim and other activities that I love to participate in during Spring being accompanied by alligators and sharks .

Anyone know of any southern states that may be a little cooler for a portion of the year (at least compared to southern Florida) with an intoxicating smell in the air? Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2015, 04:54 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synosaurus View Post
Also this may sound bizarre, but after being used to Lake Michigan and inland lakes all my life - I couldn't imagine my normal swim and other activities that I love to participate in during Spring being accompanied by alligators and sharks .
That is bizarre and definitely an overactive imagination at work. Alligators don't swim in the ocean and shark encounters are rare in the ocean unless a good distance out from shore.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,264 times
Nah, Florida is more of a "Summer in the air" most of the year since most of the flowers that bloom there bloom in the summer up north, plus the fact that its humid (a hallmark of what summer air feels like), along with pop-up storms. Only during the winter months does Florida feel truly springy. Looking at Tampa, I see mid-80s every day for the next seven and lows around 70 degrees- summer, not spring to most people (outside of the desert SW). When I think of "spring air", I think of being temperate, with mild to occassionally warm afternoons but with cool to occassionally chilly nights and crisp mornings. Really, only parts of the Pacific Coast are what I can think of.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Hawaii, some parts of the islands have constant rain showers, and there are always flowers in bloom anytime of year, many of them very fragrant.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM

123 posts, read 144,183 times
New Jersey smells the same way throughout the year as it does in the Spring.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
To me, that Spring smell is comprised of the annual saturating of soils wherein the bacterial cultures have hibernated over the cold dry months of winter, either by rains or snowmelt/thawing and the characteristic smell of new growth. Therefore, you would need a constant alternation of dry-cold die-offs and wet-warm rebirths to simulate a constant Spring smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.