Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,926,927 times

Advertisements

Don't you think the Western states are a lot like Canada? They're more expensive, more liberal (still very capitalist but open minded about gays, other races etc), more atheistic, and more unpopulated than the rest of the United States, but shares these attributes with Canada. The Western US and Generic Canadian accent are also extremely close. People in Toronto sound more like people in California than they do like people in Buffalo.

The main difference in my eyes between the Western US and Canada would be two things - the very large Latino population in the western US, and the fact the western US overall still has more right wing politics than Canada, though with Harper they are increasingly becoming the same. I would consider the western US a mix of Canada and Mexico, with the whites being pretty much identical to Canadians and the Mexican population having a culture that is different from both Mexico Mexicans and their white peers, but sharing elements of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Don't you think the Western states are a lot like Canada? They're more expensive, more liberal (still very capitalist but open minded about gays, other races etc), more atheistic, and more unpopulated than the rest of the United States, but shares these attributes with Canada. The Western US and Generic Canadian accent are also extremely close. People in Toronto sound more like people in California than they do like people in Buffalo.

The main difference in my eyes between the Western US and Canada would be two things - the very large Latino population in the western US, and the fact the western US overall still has more right wing politics than Canada, though with Harper they are increasingly becoming the same. I would consider the western US a mix of Canada and Mexico, with the whites being pretty much identical to Canadians and the Mexican population having a culture that is different from both Mexico Mexicans and their white peers, but sharing elements of both.
New England is also expensive (in parts), unreligious, and very liberal. The PNW isn't that special.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:39 PM

304 posts, read 322,600 times
Actually outside of California, and mostly the major cities, the west is actually quite conservative.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
^ Yes, New England is really the only region that is basically solidly Democratic/liberal across the board.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,785,873 times
The Driftless too (that blob of rural blue in the Midwest), but people are less likely to think of it as a region because it is spread between four states and isn't the majority of any of them.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
Actually outside of California, and mostly the major cities, the west is actually quite conservative.
I'm surprised that four eastern Montana counties voted Democrat, I wonder why.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Indian reservations?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The Driftless too (that blob of rural blue in the Midwest), but people are less likely to think of it as a region because it is spread between four states and isn't the majority of any of them.
I think Minnesota and Wisconsin have a lot in common with the West culturally, especially Utah, Oregon and Washington which have a lot of family ties.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,479,646 times
The midwest has more in common with Canada than the West has with Canada.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think Minnesota and Wisconsin have a lot in common with the West culturally, especially Utah, Oregon and Washington which have a lot of family ties.
When I moved here (from upstate NY) my impression was that Minnesota wasn't like the west per se, but it was sort of like it's first draft. It certainly isn't like the parts of the country farther east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.