U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,048,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I think Providence is a good suggestion. Some people think of Italians and Providence plus the "hill" Federal Hill section of PVD and truthfully a lot of those Italians moved out of Providence years ago. They're more likely found in North Providence, Johnston, and Cranston. The old PVD neighborhoods with Italian families have changed and are mostly other minority groups now.
I don't have numbers handy to back this up or anything but I am born and raised with my parents from the areas in question. I think any of those towns mentioned close to Providence are good for what you are looking for.
Pretty much this.

I think you'll find nightlife and atmosphere in the Providence area to fit what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:45 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Our Big 10 bros ≠ Guidos. Those are two different things. This article is in jest, but it's not too far off.
All of those seem spot on to me, most especially the Mid-Atlantic Bros, DC Bros, Southern Frat Bros, and Ma$$holes lol

Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 PM

25 posts, read 31,182 times
How about Vegas?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 PM

1,578 posts, read 981,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Outside of NYC.. What towns/cities are the Bro-iest/Guido-est?
Joseph, I like this thread. Want to give it a bump. When we determine which city fits your description, we need to get a sign up at it's city limits: Guidos, Welcome to America's 2nd Bro-iest City !

Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 PM

6,511 posts, read 9,047,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Florida weather sucks. And outside of Miami beach which is mostly richie rich, Miami ain't the place to have a good social life if you aren't Spanish

See I thought so too! But I am getting mixed messages on their board

Philly was waaaay too fancy. Chicago I have been too but I kinda got the white collar vibe there as well. Which burbs of Chicago and Detroit?
Roscoe Village, Lake View, Lincoln Park, Ravenswood Hyde Park, University of Chicago area, for near and in the city areas.

Suburbs: Evanston, Skokie, Niles, Park Ridge.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Bros have nothing to do with guidos. They're almost opposites.

Bro territory is all over the U.S., from San Diego to DC. NYC is actually one of the least Bro cities, though there's a presence. Wall Street is kind of a weird version of uber-Bro, but most everything else in NYC leans anti-Bro. Not too many Bros in Williamsburg or Park Slope or the Upper West Side. Really only Hoboken is obvious Bro territory.

Guido territory is only areas with high degrees of relatively recent Italian immigration, so mostly just NYC and Montreal, with some lesser presence everywhere between Philly and Boston, and maybe in Toronto.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 AM

23,049 posts, read 35,003,509 times
My second husband was born in Providence. So yes, absofreakinlutely.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:05 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
The subculture is not defined consistently or concretely, but refers to a type of "fratty masculinity", predominantly "if not exclusively" white, associated with frayed-brim baseball hats, oxford shirts, sports team t-shirts, cargo shorts, and boat shoes or sandals. NPR also noted that bros could include people of color and women, though that is not the popular conception of bro subculture. Oxford Dictionaries recognized Barney Stinson's character on the sitcom How I Met Your Mother as "the quintessence of a certain iteration of the contemporary bro" and noted how his language uses the word liberally. A survey from NPR's Codeswitch blog named popular figures such as Matthew McConaughey, Brody Jenner, Joe Rogan, Dane Cook, and John Mayer as representative of bro subculture, with Ryan Lochte as their "platonic ideal of bro-dom".

The wide-ranging iterations of bro include "twenty-something investment bankers", fraternity brothers in flannel shirts, and "laconic surfers". NPR identified four types of bros: dudely, jockish, preppy, and stoner-ish. In their description, dudely bros form close and homosocial friendships in a group of bros, jockish bros are defined by ability at team sports tempered by interest in alcohol, preppy bros wear "conservatively casual" clothes as the Abercrombie and Fitch sons of Brooks Brothers men and flaunt "social privilege", and stoner-ish bros may not get high but speak relaxedly and exude the air of surfers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bro_(subculture)

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 AM

When I think of "bro" culture, North Side Chicago neighborhoods and Arlington, Virginia are the first things to come to mind.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Bros have nothing to do with guidos. They're almost opposites.

Bro territory is all over the U.S., from San Diego to DC. NYC is actually one of the least Bro cities, though there's a presence. Wall Street is kind of a weird version of uber-Bro, but most everything else in NYC leans anti-Bro. Not too many Bros in Williamsburg or Park Slope or the Upper West Side. Really only Hoboken is obvious Bro territory.

Guido territory is only areas with high degrees of relatively recent Italian immigration, so mostly just NYC and Montreal, with some lesser presence everywhere between Philly and Boston, and maybe in Toronto.
Wouldn't Murray Hill qualify as bro territory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.