U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:15 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times

Advertisements

Southern frat guys with the moppy hair and pastel outfits, are they bros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,269,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC does not feel "guido" at all outside of certain fringe neighborhoods
The core neighborhoods NYC have basically no "guido" feel. You are about as likely to see one as in Kansas.

But there are certain fringe neighborhoods that still have them. Central and South Shore of Staten Island, a bit on the farthest fringes of Brooklyn (Mill Basin and Bergen Beach especially), a bit still in Howard Beach and some of the Rockaways, maybe a bit in Whitestone, Queens. That's about it in city proper in 2017.

Some of the sterotypical "guido" neighborhoods, like Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge, no longer have any such feel. Bensonhurst is now a huge new wave of immigrants, and Bay Ridge is gentrified.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Southern frat guys with the moppy hair and pastel outfits, are they bros?
Yes that is the upper crust Southern bro. The lower classes are the country boys with the trucks and baby mommas.

Of course Southerners are not super keen on the term bro. They use it but never to Northern levels. They're more likely to say brother, fam, dude, or main (man with a drawl).

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM

406 posts, read 290,507 times
Definitely Chicago. No question especially about the guido part, being that mob culture was huge in New York and Chicago so the Italian culture there is probably still heavy in some areas (like it is in Staten Island, LI, NJ, etc.)

Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,611,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The core neighborhoods NYC have basically no "guido" feel. You are about as likely to see one as in Kansas.

But there are certain fringe neighborhoods that still have them. Central and South Shore of Staten Island, a bit on the farthest fringes of Brooklyn (Mill Basin and Bergen Beach especially), a bit still in Howard Beach and some of the Rockaways, maybe a bit in Whitestone, Queens. That's about it in city proper in 2017.

Some of the sterotypical "guido" neighborhoods, like Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge, no longer have any such feel. Bensonhurst is now a huge new wave of immigrants, and Bay Ridge is gentrified.
Agreed. The crowd I see in Roll n Roaster sometimes is "Guido"-ish. Or at least it reminds me more of the white people I'd see in Massapequa than in other parts of Brooklyn.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,611,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I think maybe old perception of New York made people think of a Northeast Italian bro stereotypical guy. Nowadays I think something more a Williamsburg dude with an ironic glitter beard might come to mind but who knows. I feel like cities now are way less bro than they used to be.

I run into less BRO guys in lots of Chicago nowadays. Hell I don't remember any in Philly but I hear DC otoh is becoming more bro.

Anyway on the topic at hand, when I lived in Louisville the bro was a chewing tobacco kinda guy. He liked his college basketball and shooting guns, as well as country music. Nothing like the Chicago bro who prefers hobbies like weightlifting and house music. All bros are different in their tastes but not in their mindset.
Yeah, perceptions are often incorrect. I would add the the perception of the NYC accent is also dated/skewed. Even your perception of NYC's hipsterism is a little dated, the stereotypical hipster now lives in Bushwick or Bed Stuy.

You do see some bro types in Manhattan, maybe Williamsburg too, but they might be coming from New Jersey and Long Island.

I live in the suburbs of NYC and the nightlife near me (Rockville Centre and Long Beach) is very, very dudebro, so I much prefer going to Manhattan and Brooklyn even if it's less convenient for me.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Definitely Chicago. No question especially about the guido part, being that mob culture was huge in New York and Chicago so the Italian culture there is probably still heavy in some areas (like it is in Staten Island, LI, NJ, etc.)
This is more of a case in the suburbs than the city. Dudebros in the city are far from guidos. Hell Italians in Chicago have a tendency to now leave the suburbs for the exurbs. The Irish stayed in the city but the Italians were pushed out to the burbs and then to the outer ring burbs of the burbs. The city isn't very Italian now.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes that is the upper crust Southern bro. The lower classes are the country boys with the trucks and baby mommas.

Of course Southerners are not super keen on the term bro. They use it but never to Northern levels. They're more likely to say brother, fam, dude, or main (man with a drawl).
They're very proud of it as well.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,599,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Chicago doesn't have any legitimate big city Italian American neighborhoods. In fact, the only cities that have big city predominately Italian American neighborhoods in the US are in Philly (large parts of South Philly) and NYC (Staten Island, and parts of Brooklyn). The other major cities only have little Italys (emphasis on the word little) that have small Italian American populations.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
They're very proud of it as well.
Yes Southern culture breeds a very in your face type of bro. IMO a stereotypical Southern man is quite the bro. The South also breeds very violent individuals and that doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.