U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,233,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Cincinnati and Indianapolis feel just as southern as Louisville. Some people from these cities will try and deny it, but it's true.
They absolutely do not. Linguistically culturally and historically neither city is as Southern as Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM

638 posts, read 1,035,077 times
1/4 of the people I work with are from Kentucky, and identify as southern/midwestern. People in Cincinnati have a pronounced southern twang. People's families are from Tennessee, Kentucky, and W. Virginia, not Illinois, and Michigan. The only people in Cincy that say it doesn't feel southern, live on the east side, where there is a more white collar, east coast feel. I don't know why people deny this. You don't truley leave "the south" until you hit I-70. Confederate flags are noticeable all the way up until that highway. These are hybrid cities. They can claim the north and south. Embrace it :-)

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,128,093 times
Quote:
1/4 of the people I work with are from Kentucky, and identify as southern/midwestern. People in Cincinnati have a pronounced southern twang. People's families are from Tennessee, Kentucky, and W. Virginia, not Illinois, and Michigan. The only people in Cincy that say it doesn't feel southern, live on the east side, where there is a more white collar, east coast feel. I don't know why people deny this. You don't truley leave "the south" until you hit I-70. Confederate flags are noticeable all the way up until that highway. These are hybrid cities. They can claim the north and south. Embrace it :-)
I can count on one hand the number of confederate flags I have seen in Indiana south of I-70.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times
Quote:
Cincinnati and Indianapolis feel just as southern as Louisville. Some people from these cities will try and deny it, but it's true.
There's little that's Southern about Indianapolis. While parts of Indiana (and some parts of Indianapolis) have a definite country vibe, that doesn't make them Southern.

The Indy natives I've talked to don't have a hint of Southern drawl. They don't have an upper Midwest/Minnesota accent, but it's certainly not Southern. As someone who is from the South, I get asked all the time where I'm from. I'm obviously different from the locals.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,233,040 times
Quote:
Lies. Cincinnatians don't speak with Southern twangs I've known quite a few of them. Confederate flags exist all over the country. They are not hybrid cities. Indianapolis and Cincinnati are Midwestern in history, dialect, demographics, culture, etc. Louisville is the opposite except for demographics. There is no question which region each city belongs in and if you can't figure that out you obviously shouldn't be making these comments you're making. Interstate 70 is not the north south boundary..not even close.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,900,633 times
There are some major differences not yet emphasized in this thread.

With the only MLB franchise, Kansas City is the most "major league" of these four cities. It, like Indianapolis, also has an NFL franchise.

Indianapolis has the only NBA franchise, and Columbus has the only NHL franchise.

Columbus does have pro soccer and lacrosse (in nearby Delaware). And Ohio State is a great asset for sports lovers, not only for football and basketball, but also for great university sports such as wrestling (NCAA champions), swimming, gymnastics, baseball, track & field, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis and several more. Columbus also annually hosts the quirky Arnold Sports Festival, which draws 175,000 attendees, and also features the Arnold Fitness Expo.

http://arnoldsportsfestival.com/

Columbus and Indianapolis are the only two state capitals, a very important distinction, especially economically. Both of these cities would be much less dynamic without this distinction.

Indianapolis has the best cultural institutions, and the International Speedway.

Louisville, Columbus and Indianapolis all host state fairs, important economically, but also culturally.

Louisville and Columbus are horse towns, Louisville with Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby, Columbus with the massive All-American Quarterhorse Congress.

Thanks largely to Les Wexner, Columbus is one of the nation's shopping meccas and retail centers. E.g., Easton Town Center, Wexner's personal test laboratory.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/columbus...et-of-the-usa/

Last edited by WRnative; 05-19-2015 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,328,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Indianapolis has the best cultural institutions
I disagree.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,209,515 times
KC has the world class Nelson-Atkins Art Museum.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kaufman Center for Performing Arts "is one of the most technically and architecturally advanced performing arts centers in the nation ..."
https://www.visitkc.com/visitors/thi...nter-architect

Last edited by smpliving; 05-20-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,900,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
KC has the world class Nelson-Atkins Art Museum.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kaufman Center for Performing Arts "is one of the most technically and architecturally advanced performing arts centers in the nation ..."
https://www.visitkc.com/visitors/thi...nter-architect
Kansas City was the one city I was worried about when I wrote the statement about cultural institutions in Indianapolis. I wasn't aware of the Bloch addition. I've never seen the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art referred to world-class in a publication such as the NY Times. Do you have a reference? I should note that I'm not certain I consider the Cleveland Museum of Art as a world-class museum, even though I often see it referred to as such and I do understand the reference and the CMA is certainly one of the best in the U.S. It's just that I think of the handful of U.S. institutions such as the Met and the Philadelphia Museum of Art, especially with its administrative control of the Barnes Foundation Museum and collaboration with the Penn Museum, as truly and understandably world class.

Consider the attractions in the following two links for comparison, however. The Indianapolis Children's Museum often is considered the best in the U.S. Note also the Eiteljorg Museum. These two institutions greatly influenced my statement.

Top 30 Things to Do in Kansas City, MO on TripAdvisor: Kansas City Attractions

Top 30 Things to Do in Indianapolis, IN on TripAdvisor: Indianapolis Attractions

Indianapolis Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally wouldn't argue too much about whether Indianapolis was superior to Kansas City culturally, or vice versa.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-20-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,209,515 times
I got the reference from the following link of the museum ... no other publication.

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art | Art

"Be inspired by the treasures of the Nelson-Atkins. Discover the rich collections that comprise this world-class art museum by exploring select works ranging from ancient times to modern day. Learn what exhibitions are currently on view and how the Museum cares for its priceless treasures. "

Last edited by smpliving; 05-20-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or