U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2015, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,125,918 times
Reputation: 5966

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I got the reference from the following link of the museum ... no other publication.

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art | Art


"Be inspired by the treasures of the Nelson-Atkins. Discover the rich collections that comprise this world-class art museum by exploring select works ranging from ancient times to modern day. Learn what exhibitions are currently on view and how the Museum cares for its priceless treasures. "
Your reference is the museum calling itself world class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,898,630 times
Reputation: 4101
Default KC is top foodie city

Here's another area where Kansas City has a great reputation, especially for KC BBQ!

America

T+L likely is the top travel magazine in the U.S. with the most sophisticated and frequent travelers. Scoring a ranking as third best in the country, above the likes of NYC, San Francisco and New Orleans (likely partially because of affordability), is impressive any way the result is sliced! The other three cities under consideration here didn't even make the list.

America

There is no doubt that KC is one of the great underrated travel destinations in the U.S. It's another reason that road trippers from Chicago to Denver should bite the bullet and take I-55 to I-70. Springfield (great Lincoln attractions) and St. Louis are the other rewards for the slightly longer trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 PM
 
6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
As stated earlier, Broad Ripple is nice, but you can find places like that in suburban Cincinnati. There are zero college neighborhoods in Indy. There are only a few areas you can park your car, and walk around bar to bar, store to store. Butler is a small school, and doesn't influence commercial activity in the neighborhood in which it's located. There are over 800,000 people within 300 sq miles, yet there are only 4 distinguishable hoods. Minus the pro sports, you'll get more of a big city vibe in Louisville. Although Columbus is similar in geography, demographics etc... It blows Indy out of the water as far as urban environment and vibrancy are concerned. That says something! Indy is kind of out of place when it comes to the other three cities that are in the poll. It only compares in size.
Amen. Spot on. And Louisville is not THAT much smaller than the other cities. It is just that it lacks the HUGE mega suburban cities that the others have. Louisville has no Carmel or Dublin or Overland Park. Lacking that mega edge city is an advantage for Louisivlle in the new urban economy...it is making every one of its inner ring neighborhoods sprout with infill and rehabs. There are now bike lanes painted on almost every downtown and inner ring street, and even a dedicated bike lane and new medians through UofL's campus. Many of you are going to be surprrised at how vibrant Louisville has become. I would recommend coming for Forecastle July17-20 and seeing a VERY Vibrant, walkable, urban, indie, city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 PM
 
6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
You can't be serious when you say Louisville feels larger than Indy. Bland feeling is an opinion and very invalid at that for anyone that has actually spent time and lived in the city.
Absolutely it does. No where in Indy will you find an area like bardstown rd in the Highlands, and this is the main difference. Louisville WAS historically larger than Indy until around WWII, so the built urban city is just a lot denser and cooler.

Indy does have an impressive downtown, even if its a bit generic (the whole thing reminds me of the lackluster 4th st live in Louisville). Still, any midwest city would kill for the downtown retail that Circle Centre has, and the city has really grown through conventions and sports. There are several nice apartment midrises and a few semi walkable areas, but areas Indiana people tout as walkable or urban would be 6th place neighborhoods in Louisville, Cincinnati, or Columbus. Part of this is Indy has universities, but IUPUI and Butler do not have the draw of OSU, UC and Xavier, or even Louisville and Bellarmine. Indy's biggest strength? A great corporate environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM
 
6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
I would say this is spot on as well. Love Indy's museums, cultural trail/ bike path. Monument Circle and other stellar attractions downtown. But once I saw those, I started thinking where is your German village, Brewery District, Short North, Victorian village, Italian village. Even High Steet.
I think Columbus has the advantage long term. You can build a downtown up but it is much harder to add the surrounding neighborhoods adjacent to downtown.
Made me think that if we could combine the two, it would be a sweet city to live in.
It is the neighborhoods where Columbus and Louisville win this race. I'll give Columbus a slight nod but it is a VERy close race. I spend a lot of time in Cincinnati for work, and have also spent quite a bit of time in Columbus. The Highlands in Louisville gives the Short North all it can handle, and Old Louisville into Germantown is very much like German Village (even similar names). Tons of infill and rehabs that are too numerous to list.

Indy is the clear winner in downtown. Say what you want, but they have built a very tourist, convention, sports friendly, walkable downtown. Sure there are a lot of chains, but there are some unique aspects too, and Monument Circle is very pretty.

Louisville wins with the waterfront, look, vibe and views.

I will give KC the nod for the best inner ring, roaring 20s streetcar suburb in the Plaza. A very cool area.

All 4 are great cities and I have spent extensive time or lived partially in all of them.

I chose to live in Louisville bc it has the most kinetic energy and most indie vibe (and BY FAR the best food in this region) which effects my day to day living and makes me happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 AM
 
2,199 posts, read 2,327,445 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
It is the neighborhoods where Columbus and Louisville win this race. I'll give Columbus a slight nod but it is a VERy close race. I spend a lot of time in Cincinnati for work, and have also spent quite a bit of time in Columbus. The Highlands in Louisville gives the Short North all it can handle, and Old Louisville into Germantown is very much like German Village (even similar names). Tons of infill and rehabs that are too numerous to list.

Indy is the clear winner in downtown. Say what you want, but they have built a very tourist, convention, sports friendly, walkable downtown. Sure there are a lot of chains, but there are some unique aspects too, and Monument Circle is very pretty.

Louisville wins with the waterfront, look, vibe and views.

I will give KC the nod for the best inner ring, roaring 20s streetcar suburb in the Plaza. A very cool area.

All 4 are great cities and I have spent extensive time or lived partially in all of them.

I chose to live in Louisville bc it has the most kinetic energy and most indie vibe (and BY FAR the best food in this region) which effects my day to day living and makes me happy
I'd take KC for neighborhoods over Columbus and Louisville and I would most definitely take KC for food over any of the others mentioned. In fact, I'd take KC for food over any of the second tier midwest cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,125,918 times
Reputation: 5966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Absolutely it does. No where in Indy will you find an area like bardstown rd in the Highlands, and this is the main difference. Louisville WAS historically larger than Indy until around WWII, so the built urban city is just a lot denser and cooler.

Indy does have an impressive downtown, even if its a bit generic (the whole thing reminds me of the lackluster 4th st live in Louisville). Still, any midwest city would kill for the downtown retail that Circle Centre has, and the city has really grown through conventions and sports. There are several nice apartment midrises and a few semi walkable areas, but areas Indiana people tout as walkable or urban would be 6th place neighborhoods in Louisville, Cincinnati, or Columbus. Part of this is Indy has universities, but IUPUI and Butler do not have the draw of OSU, UC and Xavier, or even Louisville and Bellarmine. Indy's biggest strength? A great corporate environment.
Lackluster 4th Street Live? You're messing with us now.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 06-04-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM
 
6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I'd take KC for neighborhoods over Columbus and Louisville and I would most definitely take KC for food over any of the others mentioned. In fact, I'd take KC for food over any of the second tier midwest cities.
I disagree. Louisville blows KC out in every food metric from variety to restaurant strips to James Beard chefs to national press. I tell you what, post some links to the national press recognizing KC's food scene and produce lists ranking it as a top 20 foodie city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
 
2,199 posts, read 2,327,445 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I tell you what, post some links to the national press recognizing KC's food scene and produce lists ranking it as a top 20 foodie city.
Why don't you just google it yourself, skim a couple internet "articles", discard or discount the ones that don't confirm your opinion, then continue thining what you think, and I can do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 PM
 
6,563 posts, read 13,780,544 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Why don't you just google it yourself, skim a couple internet "articles", discard or discount the ones that don't confirm your opinion, then continue thining what you think, and I can do the same?

You are not sending them because they're aren't as many. If there were, you would send them right back. Look, KC is a great city. It just does not have nearly the "cool" factor nor the buzz that Louisville has built in the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top