U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,825,128 times

Advertisements

Have done cross country with the kids and hope to do it again next year. Just like to take my time and take it all in. Have made many 17 hour trips between Charleston and Houston. Down thru Ga., Fla. and along the Gulf states. Very scenic except for stretches of Fla., just flat with pine trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,198,334 times
I've driven from North Louisiana to East Virginia in 1 trip - 16 hours. Also from North Louisiana to Cleveland - 15 hours. Also from Monticello to North Louisiana - 15 hours (spend an hour or two in the mountains because of construction).

Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,148,282 times
I'd driven from Colorado Springs to Mason City, IA using Interstates 25/76/80/35 - 12 hours one-way. To pick up my car-accident injured son, who ended up laying across our back seat on the return. Longest single drive I've done. In the snow, ice and wind, 2-days before Christmas. No flights available. Drove continuously both ways with only 4 hours sleep on day one. Wow.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,453,126 times
Not really an interstate, but probably trumps most drives. I've done the AL-CAN from Anchorage AK to Alabama in about six days (not counting staying a couple of nights in Minnesota and Iowa).

And the crazy thing is, the bulk of the drive was two-lane.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,678,141 times
I've set myself with the goal of driving on the entirety of the Interstate Highway System. To keep it at least slightly manageable, I've limited myself to the one- and two-digit "primary" routes and don't concern myself with the three-digit spurs or bypasses.

Before I had kids, I really enjoyed racking up the miles and seeing the sights as I crisscrossed our magnificent country. Sadly, though, driving for driving's sake has really taken a nosedive, now that I have two little ones whose idea of fun does not include 12-hour days of straight driving with breaks only for food and the call of nature. But even so, I've still managed to knock off something like 80 percent of the country's total interstate mileage. Give me a week in Texas and the Deep South, and another week in the Upper Midwest, and I could finish it all.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 AM

814 posts, read 940,307 times
I can't do marathon drives on limited-access highways by myself anymore, I just get too bored. Put me on two-lane roads, though, and I can go dawn to dusk without even thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or