U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,780 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I love Flagstaff, AZ for its size, community, liberal politics, sunshine and access to nature. However, I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and have severe structural instabilities in my pelvis and legs which make walking in snow and ice very challenging and dangerous.

I would love to find a town with similar attributes to Flagstaff, but without the snow or ice. I have not historically been a desert person, and would prefer mild as opposed to drastic climate, but would consider anywhere that may be a bit safer for ambulation if it has excellent community (good hearted, grounded people) and easy access to nature (e.g. going for a walk in the woods without having to drive 30 minutes to get there).

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 AM

6,529 posts, read 7,487,675 times
Santa Fe New Mexico, or on the other side of I-40 is Ashville NC. Ashville gets some snow, but I bet less than Flagstaff. San Antonio Texas is more liberal I believe, maybe there.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,519,950 times
If you can afford it, Santa Rosa or San Luis Obispo, California might be worth considering.

Eureka Springs, Arkansas might work too. It's beautiful country, and it's probably the most liberal town in Arkansas (albeit a little touristy).

Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,120,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleselinger View Post
I would love to find a town with similar attributes to Flagstaff, but without the snow or ice. I have not historically been a desert person, and would prefer mild as opposed to drastic climate, but would consider anywhere that may be a bit safer for ambulation if it has excellent community (good hearted, grounded people) and easy access to nature (e.g. going for a walk in the woods without having to drive 30 minutes to get there).

My parents lived in Prescott Valley for 10 years and absolutely loved it. The climate was perfect for them. I would not call it liberal by any stretch however.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 AM

130 posts, read 126,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My parents lived in Prescott Valley for 10 years and absolutely loved it. The climate was perfect for them. I would not call it liberal by any stretch however.
I love Prescott. Such a beautiful area.

The OP should move to any city in Nee Mexico besides Albequerque if they want a smaller, quirkier character city with nice weather. NM has lots of options because there are so many different elevations.

Santa Fe and Taos are my votes. Silver City is nice too. Las Cruces may be a bit too...Mexican, it feels less like NM and more like South of the border.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,545,667 times
I grew up in a smaller town in South Carolina and encountered plenty of liberals. I lived for many years in Chicago and encountered plenty of conservatives. Political stripe isn't a great way to pick your home, and you can find like-minded and differently minded people anywhere, if you're so inclined.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM

21,230 posts, read 30,469,580 times
Quote:
Hello,

I love Flagstaff, AZ for its size, community, liberal politics, sunshine and access to nature. However, I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and have severe structural instabilities in my pelvis and legs which make walking in snow and ice very challenging and dangerous.

Check out Durham NC which is a very well-educated, progressive/liberal city with an excellent cultural scene, great restaurants, friendly people from all over the world, a moderate four season climate with minimal snow/ice and plenty of beautiful areas/parks to walk in including my favorite...Duke Forest.

Why You Should Choose Durham | Durham, NC

Old 04-09-2015, 03:04 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Santa Cruz, CA. You can walk on the beach or in the woods. Liberal. Mild temps. University town.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:27 PM

601 posts, read 714,362 times
Quote:
Hello,

Asheville, NC or Fayetteville, Arkansas

Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 PM

365 posts, read 555,329 times
Rapid City is a small town and friendly but, the winters may be too harsh for you. Cheyenne is a small cute town but, windy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.