U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 AM

130 posts, read 126,586 times

Advertisements

Way more than $3k for Burlington, VT. There are no jobs there and rentals are highly inflated because home prices are artificially high due to the fact that a lot of rich ex New York/Boston people have cashed out and moved there. $3k is one months security and one months rent.

If you need to move to VT, get a student loan and go to UVT or one of the many little colleges there. It is a college town in a state with high taxes, no jobs, a massive Heroin problem (that you might get involved in if you wind up as a homeless vagabond there) and the economy is sustained purely from out of state retirees, tourists and rich students from Boston being financed by their parents to spend 4 years in college in Vermont studying Art History, dropping acid and being pseudo hippies.

Unless you have a career where you can work anywhere (aka medical) do not move there without enough to sustain you for one calendar year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,724,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Maybe it would be best to simply not move to another city then?
I'm just tired of Portland, and i complain about living here a lot and the cost and boring snobby people, so I want to put my money where my mouth is.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Way more than $3k for Burlington, VT. There are no jobs there and rentals are highly inflated because home prices are artificially high due to the fact that a lot of rich ex New York/Boston people have cashed out and moved there. $3k is one months security and one months rent.

If you need to move to VT, get a student loan and go to UVT or one of the many little colleges there. It is a college town in a state with high taxes, no jobs, a massive Heroin problem (that you might get involved in if you wind up as a homeless vagabond there) and the economy is sustained purely from out of state retirees, tourists and rich students from Boston being financed by their parents to spend 4 years in college in Vermont studying Art History, dropping acid and being pseudo hippies.

Unless you have a career where you can work anywhere (aka medical) do not move there without enough to sustain you for one calendar year.
Sounds a lot like Oregon! Maybe I should consider Chicago or somewhere in Michigan instead. I've thought of Virginia too actually though I've heard it's a pretty damn conservative and uptight state with a lot of crime so I don't know. I also considered Mason City, Iowa believe it or not but I don't know if there are any jobs there...

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Unfortunately saving $3000 would take me at least 2 years unless I borrowed money from somebody. Rent gobbles up most of my money, and the rest is food.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
My first thought was "maybe Portland," but it looks like you LIVE in Portland. Man. Anywhere else might be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

A dime's worth of free advice: Make yourself a budget and get a clear view of how much you're bringing in and where you spend it. Cut the fat on the budget and pick up odd jobs and part time work to beef up your income. Seek out the parts of your current city that suit you best. Portland's a fairly big place and it's not ALL Portlandia. If that doesn't work, check out places in your region that might be more your speed. Make a plan and execute. Keep your expenses low.

And no, you don't need a car everywhere. In fact, a car can be more trouble than it's worth a lot of places. Most cities over 50k have a bus line and a few walkable areas.

You're clearly young, and seem to have few entanglements. Make the most of it.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
My first thought was "maybe Portland," but it looks like you LIVE in Portland. Man. Anywhere else might be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

A dime's worth of free advice: Make yourself a budget and get a clear view of how much you're bringing in and where you spend it. Cut the fat on the budget and pick up odd jobs and part time work to beef up your income. Seek out the parts of your current city that suit you best. Portland's a fairly big place and it's not ALL Portlandia. If that doesn't work, check out places in your region that might be more your speed. Make a plan and execute. Keep your expenses low.

And no, you don't need a car everywhere. In fact, a car can be more trouble than it's worth a lot of places. Most cities over 50k have a bus line and a few walkable areas.

You're clearly young, and seem to have few entanglements. Make the most of it.
My point isn't so much that I want to live in a tent, it's more that I want to leave Portland and be able to afford the transition. Even staying in a $30 a night hostel is $900 a month, and it could take a whole month or more because I can find an apartment. Moving elsewhere in Portland doesn't interest me, I already live in the part of the city I like best.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:00 PM

246 posts, read 265,658 times
Try finding somewhere you can house sit or pet sit for someone that is out of town during your transition time.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Do you have a criminal record? Can you pass a urine drug test? Get a job as a live in house keeper/nanny. You get room and board and you can save your salary

You sound like you belong out west. Move to the Bay Area, I am SURE you can find a nanny job for some rich Marin County family, save the money and rent a room in Berkeley. However if $3000 takes you that long to save you have issues, are you employed?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Do you have a criminal record? Can you pass a urine drug test? Get a job as a live in house keeper/nanny. You get room and board and you can save your salary

You sound like you belong out west. Move to the Bay Area, I am SURE you can find a nanny job for some rich Marin County family, save the money and rent a room in Berkeley. However if $3000 takes you that long to save you have issues, are you employed?
I'm not really the caretaking type unfortunately. I am employed, but I get very few hours. That's what happens when you live in a country that only champions the big guy. I did think about house-sitting, but I'm not sure I trust myself with that responsibility especially considering most people have pets. I'm paranoid I would screw it all up.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I'm not really the caretaking type unfortunately. I am employed, but I get very few hours. That's what happens when you live in a country that only champions the big guy. I did think about house-sitting, but I'm not sure I trust myself with that responsibility especially considering most people have pets. I'm paranoid I would screw it all up.
Stop complaining about how the country should take care of you. The world owes you nothing. Get a second job. Or a third. No one owes you anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.