U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 PM

526 posts, read 463,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Stop complaining about how the country should take care of you. The world owes you nothing. Get a second job. Or a third. No one owes you anything.
I really like you lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:27 PM

130 posts, read 126,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I really like you lol
Thank you

Old 04-09-2015, 02:41 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,245,278 times
Do you not have any out of state friends?

I had crashed with friends and "lived" in different parts of the states when I was younger. If I was especially interested about relocating, they'd take me out and show me around town.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM

178 posts, read 260,383 times
San Jose, CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQn1z2HBIrA

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
No.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

178 posts, read 260,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Stop complaining about how the country should take care of you. The world owes you nothing. Get a second job. Or a third. No one owes you anything.

Oregon has a higher than average unemployment rate...

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
Oregon has a higher than average unemployment rate...

Unemployment Rates for States
He is a libertarian, the kind of person who thinks everyone is just as lucky as he is and is totally ungrateful towards anyone who ever helped him get to where he is now.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:08 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
OP, I understand what you are going through. I escaped Portland for the same reasons using up a good chunk of my savings. But it was worth it. Those savings would have disappeared soon enough just to support my living there.

I didn't have a car either, I never had one but if you could afford to even rent one that could be your out. I know people who moved by driving themselves and belongings to a new city cross country. Hostels don't cost a lot to stay in. You could pick a city where jobs aren't too difficult to come by.

Staying in a place you can't afford is a disaster. Unfortunately, I have a some friends in Portland who are in your shoes. Due to family issues they cannot leave. Their lives are not good there. I am hoping their problems will be resolved and they will be able to get out soon. The same goes for you. Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 619 times
OK, your biggest obstacle (not trying to be a jerk) is yourself. You obviously have some ideas in your head you have gotten somewhere and you need to change your thinking before you change your location.

"what happens when you live in a country that only champions the big guy..."

Really? are you kidding? You live in a country that has the greatest opportunity for the most amount of people anywhere in the world.

You really need to start small and stop thinking so poorly of yourself. You cannot keep acting like the victim. You want a life but you have not done what is necessary to have a decent one. It is very simple, if you produce something of value, you get paid..the more value you produce for someone, the more you get paid/rewarded.

Stop being jealous of people (the big guy) who you look at and develop a problem with - can you really blame people for getting what they need/can? You are like a kitty cat blaming a tiger for getting all the antelope. Become a tiger don't blame the tiger. Find the thing you are best at..cleaning, cutting grass, speaking, being funny, writing, delivering ... whatever people maybe have complimented you on in the past, etc. and start there...chances are you are either better than average at it -or- are motivated by it....good places to start.

Changing your location will not change your life, you will find the same frustrations everywhere because your issues are internal and not external. Good luck.

That being said... living in an area that is "expensive" especially a city is difficult. Problem is, unless you have assets, suburbia is tough too (need car, etc). First look for cities with low cost of living, strong support services if you are going through some changes, etc.

You HAVE to do something to get some confidence... so you can get a slightly better "full time" job. Nobody wants to hire a bad person, shady person, etc (not saying you are) but clean up if you need to and get a real job instead of part time work.

Here is a cool idea - since you have online access - the top business schools in the country are giving free online courses.. very easy in fact in simple business concepts (operations, etc) take a couple hours over the next few weeks and take these (look up coursera). You can then use those as a resume point showing you are working to better yourself... if it gets you the next better job then great, you are on your way, Really...good luck. First thing I would do once I get some cash is to get out of left coast attitudes and stop assuming people with money are fat cats like you have been led to believe, I know it fits your narrative, but as long as you believe that, you are in for disappointment. This is not a left/right thing but a attitude thing As long as you blame others, politician, those with money, you are giving control to others which means you don't have control (you are the only person who DOES have control over you) take it. Change has to start internally. Sorry to be so preachy but after to establish some security and meet some personal goals, your ideas will be taken much more seriously if you have some to share. Unfortunately, that is the way it is. Swallow your judgement of others with more and "the system being stacked against you" and do what you need to do. Don't even let those thoughts creep in...they have not served you well. Stop judging and just get productive. I know it is frustrating but I was in a similar place as you and years of feeling like I was being held back by others and the system - left me worthless. Gotta take 100% personal responsibility no matter what you have gone through.

Last edited by goodguy2k2k; 04-10-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 03:49 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,839,691 times
This just sounds like a very bad idea. It sounds like a very good way to get killed or worse.

This is literally the prelude to a Forensic Files episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.