U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,783,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
unless you're moving to NYC, Chicago, or Frisco. None of which you can afford.
Good post, but refrain from calling SF, "Frisco". Horrific.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 PM

595 posts, read 1,022,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Unless you want to live in a hobo encampment, no.

However, you CAN live at a designated campground indefinitely, or alternate between two.

If you want a home base and you're broke, move to a trailer court. In certain places you can rent one for $300 per month. I lived the first 15 years of my life on a trailer on an acre in San Luis Obispo County, CA. My family sold the acre for $50k and bought a McMansion in Texas and the rest is history. Where are you trying to move. Trailers are cheaper to rent ($200 - $400) in the Southwest and Deep South and more expensive ($600+) in SoCal, Florida etc.

Seriously, just go the trailer route. At least you won't be technically homeless and you will have an easier time getting girls than living in a tent.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was temporary! Find a campground and stay like a vacationer. Also you can sleep in all Walmart parking lots for free overnight in your car!
Mark only speaking for where I've lived. Trailers/mobile homes rent for as much as a traditional home. Believe me, I'd consider the option if it were beneficial!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,913,870 times
Tent City in Downtown LA, aka Skid Row

Old 04-11-2015, 07:39 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
What kind of work can you do?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 PM

365 posts, read 553,612 times
Have you thought about getting a seasonal job in a national park? Some provide free housing or housing for about 75 week or less. Most even have meal plans. You can find these jobs on coolworks.com .I worked 2 seasons in one and my housing was 3 dollars a day.Find one in a remote area and you can really save money because there won't be anywhere to spend it.Most campgrounds only allow people to stay for 2 weeks. Campgrounds also look for people to work there try work campers .com. PM me and I can give you some suggestions. I have traveled a lot ,applied at different seasonal jobs and I can answer a lot of your questions.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 PM

263 posts, read 267,778 times
OP I hope you are getting things sorted out and feeling safe and happier. Some good advice in the comments though some kinda harsh but they're just trying to help with a tough love approach.

I went through many "adventures in extreme poverty" myself for some years, moving around alot, switching friends and jobs and working very part-time and low pay or sometimes not at all. I avoided ever sleeping on the street by sleeping on couches of friends, acquaintances and couchsurfing.com people and pet sitting clients. Once in awhile a hostel or airbnb but that ate up $ too quick. It was hard being so poor, sometimes going a day or 2 with no food, always asking friends for rides and couches and family for money and food and feeling guilty and embarrassed about it. Low self-esteem and lack of clarity on what I truly wanted may have been why tons of job interviewers said no.

What ended up working for me was picking a career that truly fit me well. Key is to think what you honestly enjoy so much you do it for fun. What comes naturally to you. That was my ticket. I focused on that. Simple confident focus on one goal is a powerful thing! People like hiring a focused person who will clearly enjoy the job and be good at it. I got the job.

From there it was still a struggle. I had to somehow get a car but with determination I did it. I had to sleep in the car at campground for awhile and even (scary!) in parking lots a few nights and still scrounge up friend's couches...but finally started offering service in exchange for couches! That made me not feel like a guilty freeloader to help them with yard work and cleaning and caring for an elderly lady with Alzheimers. But by then I had the good job that fit me well. It built my confidence. I worked really hard. After awhile I saw the career had areas of stress so I made some changes and life grew even better. Raises and tips came in. Having a car and more and more money then finally my own room in a cozy house felt so empowering and relaxing. I am really proud and continue to work hard and tweak areas that get stressful and have done many things to build my confidence.

I hope this helps give hope to someone reading. Taking care of your basic needs, becoming more "adult" and secure feels AWESOME. You can do it Being all spontaneous and unplanned about it can be exciting and fine but being more cautious and planned out can be safer and more peaceful. Either way follow your heart and use your gifts and treat yourself with love. And enjoy the journey Have fun.

Sorry if this post seems dramatic, just have met so many struggling, homeless, poor and former homeless and you never know how desperate someone's situation may be so felt this post might help someone.

Blessings

P.S. If you do ever "car camp" do it the safest way. Lots of tips online.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 05-31-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 02:52 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
OP I hope you are getting things sorted out and feeling safe and happier. Some good advice in the comments though some kinda harsh but they're just trying to help with a tough love approach.

I went through many "adventures in extreme poverty" myself for some years, moving around alot, switching friends and jobs and working very part-time and low pay or sometimes not at all. I avoided ever sleeping on the street by sleeping on couches of friends, acquaintances and couchsurfing.com people and pet sitting clients. Once in awhile a hostel or airbnb but that ate up $ too quick. It was hard being so poor, sometimes going a day or 2 with no food, always asking friends for rides and couches and family for money and food and feeling guilty and embarrassed about it. Low self-esteem and lack of clarity on what I truly wanted may have been why tons of job interviewers said no.

What ended up working for me was picking a career that truly fit me well. Key is to think what you honestly enjoy so much you do it for fun. What comes naturally to you. That was my ticket. I focused on that. Simple confident focus on one goal is a powerful thing! People like hiring a focused person who will clearly enjoy the job and be good at it. I got the job.

From there it was still a struggle. I had to somehow get a car but with determination I did it. I had to sleep in the car at campground for awhile and even (scary!) in parking lots a few nights and still scrounge up friend's couches...but finally started offering service in exchange for couches! That made me not feel like a guilty freeloader to help them with yard work and cleaning and caring for an elderly lady with Alzheimers. But by then I had the good job that fit me well. It built my confidence. I worked really hard. After awhile I saw the career had areas of stress so I made some changes and life grew even better. Raises and tips came in. Having a car and more and more money then finally my own room in a cozy house felt so empowering and relaxing. I am really proud and continue to work hard and tweak areas that get stressful and have done many things to build my confidence.

I hope this helps give hope to someone reading. Taking care of your basic needs, becoming more "adult" and secure feels AWESOME. You can do it Being all spontaneous and unplanned about it can be exciting and fine but being more cautious and planned out can be safer and more peaceful. Either way follow your heart and use your gifts and treat yourself with love. And enjoy the journey Have fun.

Sorry if this post seems dramatic, just have met so many struggling, homeless, poor and former homeless and you never know how desperate someone's situation may be so felt this post might help someone.

Blessings

P.S. If you do ever "car camp" do it the safest way. Lots of tips online.
Great advice because I've been there too. The best advice I can give is if at all possible get out of a place where you are struggling if you have tried every means possible to live there. That's what happened to me and many others I have known in Portland who saw the upsurge in the COL become so crazy high the streets would have been our next address. I am not knocking that city, it's just the way things have become there.

The good news is that there are many other great cities in which to live in the U.S. If, like the OP, you are not tied down to a place by family obligations or other barriers there is no reason to stay in a place in which you are miserable. If you do, then the problem is you and not where you live. It's no use beating your head against a wall waiting for things to change for you because it's not going to happen. You have to make them happen.

The operative word here is work; work at anything and everything you can. I can't begin to list the many different jobs I have had in my life all while going to school to get better jobs. Life's not easy for most people but ironically the sooner that's realized the easier it does become. That's when you have the epiphany that it's usually within your power to make things come your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.