Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

I really want to move to another city, but living in a tent is the only way I could realistically afford it, considering even hostels cost a fortune when you're staying in them long-term. Are there any cities where you can just go and live in a tent for free or very cheap, say $10 a day or less?

I feel like it would be a good and affordable way for a single male to move to another city. I'm pretty tough so I could manage it for a few weeks.

Edit: I mean live in a tent until I can find an apartment, not permanently. I can't afford extended stay hotels, all I can really afford is the trip out and to eat.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 04-08-2015 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 PM

334 posts, read 537,341 times
List of tent cities in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
I was thinking more like a formal campground. I don't want to live surrounded by desperate people who will probably steal my wallet and ruin the whole thing.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
In Rochester, New York, there are a bunch of homeless people who live in tents under the 490 Expressway, right where it intersects with South Ave.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:25 AM

130 posts, read 163,838 times
Unless you want to live in a hobo encampment, no.

However, you CAN live at a designated campground indefinitely, or alternate between two.

If you want a home base and you're broke, move to a trailer court. In certain places you can rent one for $300 per month. I lived the first 15 years of my life on a trailer on an acre in San Luis Obispo County, CA. My family sold the acre for $50k and bought a McMansion in Texas and the rest is history. Where are you trying to move. Trailers are cheaper to rent ($200 - $400) in the Southwest and Deep South and more expensive ($600+) in SoCal, Florida etc.

Seriously, just go the trailer route. At least you won't be technically homeless and you will have an easier time getting girls than living in a tent.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was temporary! Find a campground and stay like a vacationer. Also you can sleep in all Walmart parking lots for free overnight in your car!

Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 AM

I was thinking of moving to Burlington and they have a nice campground in the city on Lake Champlain, but it's 26 freaking dollars a night! Might as well just stay at a hostel right? That's just one city I'm considering though.

It seems like it's really hard to sleep cheaply in America. There are cheap campgrounds, but most of them are in the woods in the middle of nowhere, naturally. I don't have a car so sleeping in the car unfortunately isn't an option. I'd be flying out there.

I'm mostly looking at places east of the Mississippi River.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:59 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Try "wanted to rent" on craigslist. Do you have a clean criminal record and engaging personality? Someone might let you set up camp in their back yard. Whether this will work long term depends, of course, on the neighborhood attitude.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I really want to move to another city, but living in a tent is the only way I could realistically afford it, considering even hostels cost a fortune when you're staying in them long-term. Are there any cities where you can just go and live in a tent for free or very cheap, say $10 a day or less?

I feel like it would be a good and affordable way for a single male to move to another city. I'm pretty tough so I could manage it for a few weeks.

Edit: I mean live in a tent until I can find an apartment, not permanently. I can't afford extended stay hotels, all I can really afford is the trip out and to eat.
Maybe it would be best to simply not move to another city then?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 AM

130 posts, read 163,838 times
You need to get your life together.

What kind of adult doesn't have a car? What kind of adult wants to move cross country without enough cash to even get a hotel? Are you insane?

Grow up. Buy an automobile. You cannot enter the adult world and be taken seriously by peers if you're older than 17 and don't have a car, unless you're moving to NYC, Chicago, or Frisco. None of which you can afford.

Do not move without a job, or enough money to sustain yourself for a a year ($36000 - $3000 x12). Especially to Vermont. Vermont has a bad economy. You are going to wind up homeless or dead.

You need to grow up.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
Mark1988 may sound harsh, but he is right, you need to plan this out better. My advice would be get a job where you are now and start saving. Even a "small" amount of money like $3k will help immensely with moving. You will at least be able to get into a rental and have electric and roof over your head. At the absolute bear minimum save up at thousand and have a place lined up to live. Having a job in the new city is also very smart. You do not want to end up helpless and homeless in a city where you know nobody and have no plan B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.