U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
 
3,976 posts, read 3,511,864 times
Reputation: 6405

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Looking at the population growth stats the question should be does the Northeast and rust belt have a future?
There's really no point in engaging comments like these. Under this smug logic you'd have to ask the question,"does Europe have a future?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 PM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,680,174 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
There's really no point in engaging comments like these. Under this smug logic you'd have to ask the question,"does Europe have a future?"
No, he definitely does have a point. The Midwest is literally the only region that doesn't have any metros growing at breakneck pace. The Northeast has Boston, NYC, and DC. The South has Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami. The Southwest has Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and Austin. The West Coast has San Francisco and LA. The Northwest has Seattle and Portland. These cities are all 21st century boomtowns. What does the Midwest have? Minneapolis, maybe? It's pretty concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM
 
3,976 posts, read 3,511,864 times
Reputation: 6405
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
No, he definitely does have a point. The Midwest is literally the only region that doesn't have any metros growing at breakneck pace. The Northeast has Boston, NYC, and DC. The South has Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami. The Southwest has Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and Austin. The West Coast has San Francisco and LA. The Northwest has Seattle and Portland. These cities are all 21st century boomtowns. What does the Midwest have? Minneapolis, maybe? It's pretty concerning.
Well I don't see how the fact that they are growing slow, equates to the future of the region being in peril? Cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, MSP, Des Moines all cities that are growing at healthy rates among others. I believe they are in line with the same growth percentages like the aforementioned Boston and NYC. A couple of questions.

1. What is a healthy growth rate for cities and metropolitan areas? At what point do you all stop the funeral procession?

2. Why is there this histrionic notion that if a region isn't growing like Texas, that it is going to disappear? That defies logic. There are places all over the world that have grown slowly for centuries, they haven't disappeared and they aren't full of second class citizens, as it would suggest with this narrative about the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:56 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,081,574 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
No, he definitely does have a point. The Midwest is literally the only region that doesn't have any metros growing at breakneck pace. The Northeast has Boston, NYC, and DC. The South has Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami. The Southwest has Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and Austin. The West Coast has San Francisco and LA. The Northwest has Seattle and Portland. These cities are all 21st century boomtowns. What does the Midwest have? Minneapolis, maybe? It's pretty concerning.
The Midwest is growing, and will grow more in the future, when the desert southwest has serious water issues. It may be a while, but it will happen. In the meantime, please don't worry, we're doing fine.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3038388/c...ry-out-and-die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 PM
 
130 posts, read 126,803 times
Reputation: 206
Cities that grow really fast are places to avoid if you like security and don't want constant and intense flux.

Look at folks in Forsyth County Georgia who wanted to live in a rural area, however although they didn't go to the city, the city has gone to them. Someone who moved to Clayton County Georgia because they liked the demographics in 2001 will be mighty disappointed because all that "growth" and changed their world.

At least when you move to Sheboygan you can rest assured that your area isn't going to change completely.


I wouldn't move to anywhere growing really fast because I like security and I don't want to constantly have to move because of changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Juneau
601 posts, read 714,590 times
Reputation: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Apologies if this question has been brought up for discussion before. Do small cities have a future in the US? As our economy grows bigger and becomes more consolidated, companies are growing larger and thus are flocking to larger metros like Chicago, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Seattle etc. Talent and educated individuals are following said companies to find jobs. As a result, it seems like smaller metros, particularly the ones under ~600-700k, are getting squeezed out. Do any of these small cities have a chance to escape the brain drain and corporate drain that has been going on, or will this be an inescapable trend for all small metros? What do you guys think?

Sure they do. Probably moreso than now. In the future people will work less, have more freedom to work from home, etc. It will be less important to live in city centers. Lifestyle will become more important than the hustle and bustle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 AM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,680,174 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
The Midwest is growing, and will grow more in the future, when the desert southwest has serious water issues. It may be a while, but it will happen. In the meantime, please don't worry, we're doing fine.

Can America's Desert Cities Adapt Before They Dry Out And Die? | Co.Exist | ideas + impact
Oh, I totally agree. The Midwest's time will come. I see growth in US cities as cyclical by region-the Midwest hit a "down" phase, but will soon hit an "up" one. When the mega-sprawled cities like Houston and Phoenix hit a brick wall in terms of sprawling development-that is, they expand to a point where their infrastructure can no longer support them-then it's the Midwest's turn. Especially Detroit. Mark my words, Detroit is going to have a huge comeback in the next 30 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 AM
 
130 posts, read 126,803 times
Reputation: 206
Why is "growth" or "changing" a good thing? Some folks are happy the way things are..again, ask a white person who grew up in Clayton County Georgia is "change" and "growth" are good.


"Stagnant" places according to you, are my ideal because I know what I'm getting into. I can rest assured that the house I buy will be in the same (same type of folks) neighborhood in 20 years. Southerners in Raleigh, Atlanta etc. have had their worlds destroyed by "growth"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,364,601 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Why is "growth" or "changing" a good thing? Some folks are happy the way things are..again, ask a white person who grew up in Clayton County Georgia is "change" and "growth" are good.


"Stagnant" places according to you, are my ideal because I know what I'm getting into. I can rest assured that the house I buy will be in the same (same type of folks) neighborhood in 20 years. Southerners in Raleigh, Atlanta etc. have had their worlds destroyed by "growth"
Change and growth happens no matter if you like it or not. You can't stop people from moving to for whatever reason. Sounds like to me you have a problem with people who are not white and christian. Just admit that your a bigot.

Only a insane person would want a place to stay the same forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 09:39 AM
 
130 posts, read 126,803 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Change and growth happens no matter if you like it or not. You can't stop people from moving to for whatever reason. Sounds like to me you have a problem with people who are not white and christian. Just admit that your a bigot.

Only a insane person would want a place to stay the same forever.
I have admitted it, and I guess I'm insane. You actually can stop folks from moving in. Elect politicians that aren't pro growth, and live in a place that isn't a draw to Johnny come lately types.

How would you like if your beloved childhood home now resembled Mogadishu? That's what folks go through and that's why white flight still happens. You are from some ghetto in the city of Birmingham so it makes no difference to you. I've been to Birmingham, Ensley used to be Little Italy now it's Little Soweto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top