U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM

130 posts, read 126,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I was born in CO 59 years ago and have seen this state move in a direction I could never have imagined. I think you adjust and get on with your lives. You aren't going to find any place in the world that will meet all of your personal expectations. I live in one of the more "libertarian" areas of my state (some say "conservative"). Point is, I know that CA isn't all the same. There have to be locales that come close to your belief system and will allow you to stay in-state if you truly love it.
Yes, the SD area is a little less crazy than say San Francisco, my main concern is all the illegal immigrants and the social engineering in the school system. I wish we could afford private school. I wasn't intending to ever move back home to California, but a job came up and I am in shipping and SD is a big port. I don't want to spite my family by not taking the job, but I don't want to spite my family but putting my kid in a situation where he is learning two different versions of right and wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM

4,634 posts, read 2,789,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
What's my beliefs? That it is our job as parents to teach values to our kids? It's not even like I'm an extremist by any means, I don't want my kid to think drugs are okay, I don't want him to be confused about our religion, and I want me and my wife to explain to him about what being gay is, not a teacher.

I love California for its natural beauty and I want this job, but I just want what is best for my kid.
You already said it yourself, as long as you teach him/her the correct ethics and morals, your child should be fine. what do you think they would say about being gay in school anyway? That its okay for people to be different! How dare they! That people smoke pot to feel better? How dare they! Drugs are not okay to do, but they need to understand that they do have medicinal purposes.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You already said it yourself, as long as you teach him/her the correct ethics and morals, your child should be fine. what do you think they would say about being gay in school anyway? That its okay for people to be different! How dare they! That people smoke pot to feel better? How dare they! Drugs are not okay to do, but they need to understand that they do have medicinal purposes.
I don't want my kids learning about being gay at school at all. It isn't something that should be talked about by teachers at least. When he is older I can explain that to him. And no he doesn't need to know that weed is medicine, because it is not that by the United States federal government government. The only drug education should be. Don't do it, under any circumstances.

It is conflicting for a young child to hear one thing from parents that they are supposed to trust and from teachers they are supposed to trust. When there is a gross contradiction it is confusing for a kid. I just wish there was an option to opt out from these lessons so that I can do my job as a parent.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM

4,634 posts, read 2,789,746 times
Quote:
I don't want my kids learning about being gay at school at all. It isn't something that should be talked about by teachers at least. When he is older I can explain that to him. And no he doesn't need to know that weed is medicine, because it is not that by the United States federal government government. The only drug education should be. Don't do it, under any circumstances.

It is conflicting for a young child to hear one thing from parents that they are supposed to trust and from teachers they are supposed to trust. When there is a gross contradiction it is confusing for a kid. I just wish there was an option to opt out from these lessons so that I can do my job as a parent.
I still am confused on what the difference would be. You tell them its not okay to be gay? That anyone who does drugs is the devil even for medicinal use? Your job as a parent should be to teach them right from wrong. If they understand ethics and have a strong moral code things will just fall into place.

This thread is really for the parenting forum anyway.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I still am confused on what the difference would be. You tell them its not okay to be gay? That anyone who does drugs is the devil even for medicinal use? Your job as a parent should be to teach them right from wrong. If they understand ethics and have a strong moral code things will just fall into place.

This thread is really for the parenting forum anyway.
Well aren't those things my choice to teach him? My issue is that the "right" taught to him will not be the same "right" I want to teach him.

We got on this tangent about schooling but I was wondering about the other topics too...like illegals, taxes, etc.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM

2,572 posts, read 3,528,431 times
Quote:

Just curious. Have you or your spouse ever smoked pot?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,677,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Just curious. Have you or your spouse ever smoked pot?
He said he has before.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:49 AM

18,635 posts, read 9,625,296 times
I'm Libertarian/Conservative and the state I relocated to is Liberal/Libertarian and it's worked out well. Actually Washington is a Dem state but the economic policies of the state are pretty conservative, for example, no state income tax. So in a way, I feel my vote doesn't count in statewide elections because I know the Dem will always win and I don't vote Demoncrat. But the actual negative effect of this difference has not bothered me much. If the Leftists gain full contorl of the stae, I will have to leave.

As far OP scenario, SD is pretty moderate and is an awesome city...just be prepared to pay a lot for your house and to the tax man.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
I have never lived in a state that came anywhere near sharing my values, and I see no prospect that I ever will.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 AM

12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
My understanding from studies that have researched the foundations of political beliefs is that it's been concluded they are mostly genetic, particularly when it comes to social issues. E.g., when they looked at the political beliefs of identical twins separated at birth, they found they correlated significantly more than would be expected based upon chance.

I guess what I'm saying is chances are if you and your wife are right wingers, your son will be a right winger no matter where he ends up, just due to heredity. It's not like he'd stick out like a sore thumb in San Diego anyway - it's not Orange County, but there's plenty of Republicans down there due to the military presence, with a lot of the suburban areas strongly Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or