U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 PM

21,186 posts, read 11,808,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
What's my beliefs? That it is our job as parents to teach values to our kids? It's not even like I'm an extremist by any means, I don't want my kid to think drugs are okay, I don't want him to be confused about our religion, and I want me and my wife to explain to him about what being gay is, not a teacher.

I love California for its natural beauty and I want this job, but I just want what is best for my kid.
Your values are not beliefs?

Quote:
Yeah I have. I have also gotten in drunken bar fights and have been arrested for DUI and am now 4 years clean. Every man in my family on both sides besides my father has had a substance abuse problem, that's genetic and I want to hopefully avoid that.

I don't care if my son is a republican, he's a small child. I don't want him to be indoctrinated with views that are conflicting to our family. I will be frank here, because I know this site is very liberal I am expecting a ban but whatever. I am Christian, so yeah in my faith being gay is not ideal. When he is older, I intend to tell him that some people are gay and thats their life, but here is what our religion says about it.. Other folks may not agree with that but they don't have too, however if I trying to instill beliefs (that I didn't create) from our religion and simultaneously in class he is learning about the "heroes" of the gay rights movement, don't you think that's a little confusing for a kid? Don't you think that undermines our religion? I would have no issue if while they were in that unit in school there was an option for him to go to another class but apparently there is no option.

The taxes I can't do anything about but honestly that keeps eating at me. I am just trying to do the right thing for my family. Taking this job will allow me enough money to give him a better life but at the same time I feel like putting him in CA public schools is putting him in an uncomfortable position.
If you think this site is very liberal, you are far more conservative than you are giving yourself credit for.

Quote:
Not necessarily true. In MA even the country is blue and in AZ the biggest city is in a red county.

It's not about Red or Blue, I wouldn't mind moving to a blue state like MI where there isn't crazy lack of traditional values, and I would hate living in a red state like GA because of the population composition.
California is a "majority-minority" state. As a white person, you will be a member of an increasingly small minority.

All in all, I don't think you would be very happy in California, and you should focus your energies on improving your job situation where you are instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM

12,339 posts, read 10,320,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So what magical thing happens the second you cross the border from a blue state to a red state?

You've crossed into a different country. A country where people believe the Fed Govt is preparing concentration camps. A country where people consider Abraham Lincoln to have been an evil tyrant. A country where people think the law of the land is Christianity, a country where the people think the USA was a far better place in 1860, etc. Okay, I'm exaggerating. But I would rather live in a country where every single state was blue. Maybe some day I will get my wish when this country breaks apart.

You really need to get off this whole politics don't matter thing. Politics is how this country works in every way. Every single law passed etc. If you don't think politics impacts our every day life then you have no clue. The reason why high speed internet is faster in Europe is because of their laws, and because here corporations feel that the speed we get is good enough and they aren't going to spend the money to make it faster.

Europe, the place where people believe in the role of govt., has faster service. Just one of many things politics impact. But you go right on believing politics doesn't mean anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/up...abt=0002&abg=0

In many parts of Europe, the government tries to foster competition by requiring that the companies that own the pipes carrying broadband to people’s homes lease space in their pipes to rival companies. (That policy is based on the work of Jean Tirole, who won the Nobel Prize in economics this month in part for his work on regulation and communications networks.)

Last edited by tom77falcons; 04-10-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 PM

5,299 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You've crossed into a different country. A country where people believe the Fed Govt is preparing concentration camps. A country where people consider Abraham Lincoln to have been an evil tyrant. A country where people think the law of the land is Christianity, a country where the people think the USA was a far far better place in 1860, etc. etc. I really would rather live in a country where every single state was blue. Maybe some day I will get my wish when this country breaks apart.
Are you actually for real with this?

How evah did you survive your recent trip to the Mobile area? Did you encounter mobs attempting to 'indoctrinate' you into our Southern ways and group mind-think? Did you make sure to get your Passport stamped prior to your flight back to PHL?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

How evah did you survive your recent trip to the Mobile area? Did you encounter mobs attempting to 'indoctrinate' you into our Southern ways and mind-think? Did you make sure to get your Passport stamped prior to your flight back to PHL?

No, but I had to listen to a bartender and some crackpot from Foley, AL going on and on about how evil Obama was. They were saying this out loud in a hotel bar. And yes, when people in a state elect someone like Ted Cruz I really have to wonder if I share any values with them at all.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

How evah did you survive your recent trip to the Mobile area? Did you encounter mobs attempting to 'indoctrinate' you into our Southern ways and group mind-think? Did you make sure to get your Passport stamped prior to your flight back to PHL?

And obviously I was exaggerating to make a point.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No, but I had to listen to a bartender and some crackpot from Foley, AL going on and on about how evil Obama was. They were saying this out loud in a hotel bar. And yes, when people in a state elect someone like Ted Cruz I really have to wonder if I share any values with them at all.
How sad for you. It must be very limiting to your enjoyment of life with such random 'Southern' outrages occurring.

I have witnessed the same public opinions being expressed in a bar in L.A. I blew it off to misinformed ignorance.

Good luck in dealing with public opinion being displayed, no matter what region you find yourself in.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:28 AM

130 posts, read 126,563 times
This site is LOL, seriously.

Turned down the California job, probably going to move back to Texas.

Get help liberals, seriously y'all need psychiatry

Old 04-11-2015, 04:39 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,360,582 times
Liberals needing mental help?..lol. Sounds like your the one with the issues. Its not 1950 Mark, minorities have rights, and gays are not in the closet. Bottom line you need to leave the country and find this social conservative utopia...Russia.

Tom77 if you hate parts of this country so bad, you might wanna look at
leaving this country as well.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 AM

12,439 posts, read 11,941,006 times
This thread makes me horribly depressed for the future of this country.

As I said, I am far to the left by the U.S. scale. I'm used to never getting what I want out of U.S. policy, although I am always hopeful that conditions will change. But fundamentally speaking, we are all residents of America - we must, for the sake of our country, find common ground - a way to live together and respect one another, even if we don't agree.

I'm only 35 - not too old yet. But over the course of my life I've seen partisan/ideological orientation drift towards what I can only describe as quasi-nationalist/religious in nature. Too many people see themselves as conservatives/liberals first, and Americans second. They not only stereotype those they disagree with, but display open personal bigotry based upon what their fellow citizens believe.

Where are we going to end up as a country if all the right wingers move to "red" states, and the left wingers to "blue" ones? How will it help our national debate if we don't even know anyone from the other side any longer? How will our leaders govern - pass any legislation at all - if we cannot even agree on the moral priors for the legislation - if we don't even have an open national discussion about what we really think are the pressing issues, which involve all Americans, and the best way to solve them.

Either we start interacting more with one another as humans beings, and not as *******s and conservadumbs, or we might as well call it quits on the U.S., and break it up entirely.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 AM

130 posts, read 126,563 times
Quote:
Either we start interacting more with one another as humans beings, and not as *******s and conservadumbs, or we might as well call it quits on the U.S., and break it up entirely.
I foresee that happening and can't wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or