U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times

Advertisements

Since Tom Metzger & his WAR organization left the San Diego area, I don't think you'll find what you;re looking for there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This thread makes me horribly depressed for the future of this country.

As I said, I am far to the left by the U.S. scale. I'm used to never getting what I want out of U.S. policy, although I am always hopeful that conditions will change. But fundamentally speaking, we are all residents of America - we must, for the sake of our country, find common ground - a way to live together and respect one another, even if we don't agree.

I'm only 35 - not too old yet. But over the course of my life I've seen partisan/ideological orientation drift towards what I can only describe as quasi-nationalist/religious in nature. Too many people see themselves as conservatives/liberals first, and Americans second. They not only stereotype those they disagree with, but display open personal bigotry based upon what their fellow citizens believe.

Where are we going to end up as a country if all the right wingers move to "red" states, and the left wingers to "blue" ones? How will it help our national debate if we don't even know anyone from the other side any longer? How will our leaders govern - pass any legislation at all - if we cannot even agree on the moral priors for the legislation - if we don't even have an open national discussion about what we really think are the pressing issues, which involve all Americans, and the best way to solve them.

Either we start interacting more with one another as humans beings, and not as *******s and conservadumbs, or we might as well call it quits on the U.S., and break it up entirely.

And you should be. I've felt this way for years. America was a failure from the get go because it was founded by religious zealots and money making proprietary colonies. Australia imo has a far better future ahead. The US, not so much. My only hope is that when it breaks up, my state and other like minded ones join up in some kind of federation with Canada.

And just wait until these crackpots have their way with a constitutional convention. Just imagine the amendments these clowns would propose. Be very afraid.

http://www.conventionofstates.com/

Old 04-11-2015, 03:04 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Quote:
A country where people believe the Fed Govt is preparing concentration camps. A country where people consider Abraham Lincoln to have been an evil tyrant.
Yes you are exaggerating tom. Beyond exaggerating. You are judging the population of an entire state by the rantings of one bartender? How would you react if you encountered someone who judged an entire race or ethnic group based on the actions/speech of one individual?

Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
This site is LOL, seriously.

Turned down the California job, probably going to move back to Texas.

Get help liberals, seriously y'all need psychiatry

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Either we start interacting more with one another as humans beings, and not as *******s and conservadumbs, or we might as well call it quits on the U.S., and break it up entirely.
I foresee that happening and can't wait
Yeah, real nice to see you leading the way on that.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:06 PM

130 posts, read 126,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, real nice to see you leading the way on that.
I would love for this country to break up.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I want to live in a blue metro area in a blue state.

Oh wait, I do and I always have.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Quote:
What's my beliefs? That it is our job as parents to teach values to our kids? It's not even like I'm an extremist by any means, I don't want my kid to think drugs are okay, I don't want him to be confused about our religion, and I want me and my wife to explain to him about what being gay is, not a teacher.

I love California for its natural beauty and I want this job, but I just want what is best for my kid.
If you care about what is best for your kid you might want them to have a proper science education and that most certainly includes evolution.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 PM

687 posts, read 693,829 times
It wouldn't be worth it. I've visited California a few times and the landscape is stunning, however as a reformed liberal (now libertarian conservative) I simply could not stomach living in the stifling social and political climates there.

I grew up in Maryland and currently live here, but like the majority of my fellow residents (yes majority) I do not have a long term desire to stay here. One of the reasons this place is so liberal is because people are just as likely to reject liberal ideas and reform themselves as they are to just pack up and leave which is why the percentage of liberals does not change. The majority of retirees who've worked here all their lives do not stay here and virtually zero people from other states move here to retire. There are dozens of reasons despite the fact that we have all four seasons, mild winters, and everything from rural farmscapes (the majority of the state despite popular perceptions) to amenity rich suburbs, to lively urban areas (some of them pleasant).

Even though we just elected a conservative governor (a rejection of Martin O'Malley's successor) the state legislature here is still 72% democrat which is why business do not headquarter here and the only economic saving grace is having the federal government nearby (which relying upon is one of the reasons things are so bad in the first place).

I think I will much prefer the Dakotas or the upper Rockies (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or Utah) to the east coast. These are all places I've visited on RV trips or Ski trips out west so I am not completely in the dark as to life, lifestyle, terrain and weather, etc. in those areas. The trouble is taking that first risk and just going for it.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:25 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You've crossed into a different country. A country where people believe the Fed Govt is preparing concentration camps. A country where people consider Abraham Lincoln to have been an evil tyrant. A country where people think the law of the land is Christianity, a country where the people think the USA was a far better place in 1860, etc. Okay, I'm exaggerating. But I would rather live in a country where every single state was blue. Maybe some day I will get my wish when this country breaks apart.

You really need to get off this whole politics don't matter thing. Politics is how this country works in every way. Every single law passed etc. If you don't think politics impacts our every day life then you have no clue. The reason why high speed internet is faster in Europe is because of their laws, and because here corporations feel that the speed we get is good enough and they aren't going to spend the money to make it faster.

Europe, the place where people believe in the role of govt., has faster service. Just one of many things politics impact. But you go right on believing politics doesn't mean anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/up...abt=0002&abg=0

In many parts of Europe, the government tries to foster competition by requiring that the companies that own the pipes carrying broadband to people’s homes lease space in their pipes to rival companies. (That policy is based on the work of Jean Tirole, who won the Nobel Prize in economics this month in part for his work on regulation and communications networks.)
It matters i agree with everything here, but i'm not going to flip sh-t when there are people who have different views than me, its human nature and i accept it...

disrespecting people and calling people backwards because they don't share my views? that is a whole other thing.

both of which almost never happen in the real world, mostly just on these internet forums...... and fox news.

in the real world most people are worried about living their life, worried about their friends, family, possessions, etc..

That is what i mean when i talk about this whole strange " political obsession " stuff.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:49 PM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I always recommend the book, "The Big Sort: Why The Clustering of Like Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart" by Bill Bishop. Here are 2 sources of information about the book and how we self-sort when we decide where to live:

"America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. And we are living with the consequences of this way-of-life segregation. Our country has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred, that people don't know and can't understand those who live just a few miles away."

Home

"Bishop investigates "the Big Sort," tracking patterns of migration that reveal that Americans have, over the past three decades, been increasingly sorting themselves into communities where people share the same lifestyle...As geography becomes the most significant predictor of political orientation and liberals and conservatives become concentrated in separate communities, cross-party interaction is whittled down to a minimum, minimizing opportunities for civil discussion that might help to foster political tolerance. The Big Sort is, according to Bishop's findings, responsible for political imbalances that grow more and more pronounced each year. The end result of this mass movement are "balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over politics, but bitter choices between ways of life.""

The Big Sort: When Personal Preferences Build Political Partisanship | Educating the Public on Evidence-based methods for improving inter-group civility. | CivilPolitics.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or