U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM

130 posts, read 126,661 times

Advertisements

I'm from Atascadero in San Luis Obispo, CA. When I was a teen my parents sold our little patch of land (we had an acre or so with a trailer on it) and bought a home in Texas. We left because my parents (native Californians of Okie descent) didn't like the way the state was going politically, demographically etc.

I have an offer in San Diego County that will increase my earnings by 33%, and SD is just such a beautiful area. I don't mind the social climate of that area, however I really don't share any values with the California government in regards to taxes, illegals, social policy etc. I am afraid that I won't be able to enjoy SD because I will be unhappy about taxes, illegal immigrants, certain laws and regulations and also I am afraid to send my kid to public school there (he is starting first grade) because they interject some social issues into the CA curriculum that my family doesn't agree with, and I don't think that he can opt out of certain lessons in school. It will be frustrating for me and my wife and confusing for him for us to be teaching him one set of values and his school to be teaching another. We can't afford private school because we are saving money because we are trying for more children.

Should I move? Or find a different job in a location more agreeable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM

19 posts, read 14,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
It will be frustrating for me and my wife and confusing for him for us to be teaching him one set of values and his school to be teaching another.
What type of things do you think they'll be teaching him?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChangeIsGonnaCome... View Post
What type of things do you think they'll be teaching him?
I do not want to debate here but a few things:

In CA, pot is legal for medicinal use and drug education reflects that. Here it is completely illegal and we want to instill in our son that it is unacceptable in any circumstance to smoke pot. In CA (like every state) they teach evolutionary theory, however in our state they allow an opt out which we would take so we can teach him both the view of our faith and evolutionary theory without bias against our beliefs.

Also, there is this:

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history - CNN.com

Which is not something we want our child learning in school. School is to learn math, reading etc. and CA interjects social issues into the curriculum. As a parent its my role to sit down with my son and have those conversations and I don't want him to be confused because his school teaches one thing and we teach another.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM

9,448 posts, read 18,367,813 times
It sounds like you've clearly got your mind made up already, OP.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Why not? I'm a centrist who lived in Texas for 12 years. Texas and California are pretty much mirror images of each other. California is wackadoodle to the left, and Texas is wackadoodle to the right.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 AM

12,344 posts, read 10,336,026 times
Quote:

In CA, pot is legal for medicinal use and drug education reflects that. Here it is completely illegal and we want to instill in our son that it is unacceptable in any circumstance to smoke pot. In CA (like every state) they teach evolutionary theory, however in our state they allow an opt out which we would take so we can teach him both the view of our faith and evolutionary theory without bias against our beliefs.

Also, there is this:

Which is not something we want our child learning in school. School is to learn math, reading etc. and CA interjects social issues into the curriculum. As a parent its my role to sit down with my son and have those conversations and I don't want him to be confused because his school teaches one thing and we teach another.

With your beliefs I would stick with a solid red state like the southern states.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
With your beliefs I would stick with a solid red state like the southern states.
What's my beliefs? That it is our job as parents to teach values to our kids? It's not even like I'm an extremist by any means, I don't want my kid to think drugs are okay, I don't want him to be confused about our religion, and I want me and my wife to explain to him about what being gay is, not a teacher.

I love California for its natural beauty and I want this job, but I just want what is best for my kid.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:59 AM

19 posts, read 14,459 times
Quote:

Also, there is this:

I don't want to get in a debate at all either, but I'm genuinely curious as to if you're against other medication since you're against medicinal cannabis (I'm not asking sarcastically)? It's just kind of confusing to me as to why a conservative who wants limited government believes in the government limiting one's medication options.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,912 times
I was born in CO 59 years ago and have seen this state move in a direction I could never have imagined. I think you adjust and get on with your lives. You aren't going to find any place in the world that will meet all of your personal expectations. I live in one of the more "libertarian" areas of my state (some say "conservative"). Point is, I know that CA isn't all the same. There have to be locales that come close to your belief system and will allow you to stay in-state if you truly love it.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChangeIsGonnaCome... View Post
I don't want to get in a debate at all either, but I'm genuinely curious as to if you're against other medication since you're against medicinal cannabis (I'm not asking sarcastically)? It's just kind of confusing to me as to why a conservative who wants limited government believes in the government limiting one's medication options.
I'm not debating with you, it's just not something that I want my child to grow up thinking that it is okay. If someone else wants to do it that's fine, but you don't smoke medication IMO. I will respect medical THC when people don't smoke it, they take a pill which exists.

Regardless, he is my kid and I don't want him to have conflicting views. Marijuana is a federally scheduled drug. It gets you high. I've smoked pot before. I don't want my kid to think it's something laudable to do. If you want to do it fine, but I don't want my kid thinking it's an acceptable thing to do. When pot becomes legal federally then we can talk but it's illegal, regardless.

Also, I'm not a libertarian either. I'm a social conservative who believes in mixed economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or