Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
So, what's your ultimate question? Or is it just a rant about how you feel concerning the USA?
Just one of those non American posters who is always talking about the USA for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
I've been at the Grand Canyon and in the Rockies (Brekenridge, CO) in spring a few years ago. It was fantastic. I have a lot of criticisms for America, but boring is one thing it is most definitely not!

The notion that grocery shopping has to be some special kind of fun is new to me though
LOL you're not kidding.

I just went to the grocery store - actually two grocery stores. First I went to the all natural, all organic grocery store, and while I had an interesting discussion about various coffee beans with some gentleman in the coffee aisle, I wouldn't really classify it as a social event.

Then I went to Fresh (our local version of Whole Foods or Central Market). There I had a pleasant interaction with a manager in the cheese department, and I also had a funny conversation with the cashier because they sell Happy Hippo candy (by Kinder) there but she had never heard of Kinder Eggs, so I enjoyed telling her about how the Kinder Egg Storm Troopers won't let us have them over here because American kids from coast to coast might simultaneously begin choking on the toys and then Cuba may take advantage of our momentary shock by hooking up with Iran and the next thing you know an ISIS flag will be flying over the White House.

But once again...it wasn't exactly a social event. I must be really missing out. But I don't recall even the Saturday outdoor markets in Germany being particularly sociable, though they were pleasant (about as pleasant as the Farmers' Markets are here).

Hey, speaking of Fresh though - I actually just realized that maybe it IS a sort of social place. There are a couple of restaurants (fresh cooked food from the store) inside. There are cooking classes. There is a huge patio area and there's often live music out there, there are yoga classes held there - they even had a "Dog-A" class where you could bring your dog and do yoga with your dog on the Fresh patio.

But don't take my word for it - here's the link to their website and calendar of events.
http://freshbybrookshires.com/event-calendar/

And this is in a Texas town of about 120,000, nearly two hours from Dallas and five hours from Austin and three hours from Houston - right smack dab in the middle of what so many uninformed people would think is Hickville cowboy country.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-12-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Well, shopping is not the only kind of fun there is. Every Saturay and Sunday morning you can see tons of people with backpacks at the railway station, heading out into the Alps. Now, THAT is real fun!
On friday evenings we have traffic jams on the highways going towards the northwoods (cabin country), you see tons of pickup trucks towing boats. does that count?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:25 PM

309 posts, read 257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
On friday evenings we have traffic jams on the highways going towards the northwoods (cabin country), you see tons of pickup trucks towing boats. does that count?
Sure it does

And I've gotten into some lively discussions with older folks at the classical section of various music stores. But then classical CDs are probably a bit more conversation-stimulating shopping item than groceries.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:31 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
In Germany there is a market called Altonaer Fischmarkt in Hamburg. They sell fresh fish and other things every Sunday morning starting at 5 am.
We have that in San Diego. I can also surf in the am and ski in afternoon and get home fast enough to go out to nightlife. When that's over at 2-3 I can go 15 min South and party in Mexico till the sun comes up.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
In Germany there is a market called Altonaer Fischmarkt in Hamburg. They sell fresh fish and other things every Sunday morning starting at 5 am.

Here in east Texas we are famous for our delicious mix of Tex Mex, Cajun, and southern cooking.

We have "Street Taco" night every Monday night at a local restaurant in a town of 2500 - fresh, authentic street style tacos on homemade corn tortillas for $1 each (fresh barbacoa/chicken/shrimp with your choice of cilantro, avocado, mango, cabbage, you name it for toppings). The parking lot and restaurant are so full, people often have to park a block away. Inside, the atmosphere is festive - in part because there's also a discount on margaritas during that time!

Does that count?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:42 PM

309 posts, read 257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in east Texas we are famous for our delicious mix of Tex Mex, Cajun, and southern cooking.

We have "Street Taco" night every Monday night at a local restaurant in a town of 2500 - fresh, authentic street style tacos on homemade corn tortillas for $1 each (fresh barbacoa/chicken/shrimp with your choice of cilantro, avocado, mango, cabbage, you name it for toppings). The parking lot and restaurant are so full, people often have to park a block away. Inside, the atmosphere is festive - in part because there's also a discount on margaritas during that time!

Does that count?
You are asking as if it was me who insisted America was boring. I know you guys have a lot of events and nightlife (it is that I personally don't care for nightlife/bars/partying much) and some awesome nature in America.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM

623 posts, read 957,353 times
I can't imagine a nation that has more geographic, social and cultural diversity as the USA. The amount of urban activities, the incredible wealth of outdoor activities. If you're bored in the USA, you'll be bored anywhere.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:34 PM

75 posts, read 89,789 times
The US can be tedious, especially in the midwest, texas, the south (more provincial and religious)

however cities like NYC are anything but boring!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You are asking as if it was me who insisted America was boring. I know you guys have a lot of events and nightlife (it is that I personally don't care for nightlife/bars/partying much) and some awesome nature in America.

No, no, I didn't mean for you to think that - I was just going along with the "does this count" thing. I know you didn't say the US was boring. Sorry for the miscommunication!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.