U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Houston and Dallas are far from boring. Same could be said for Austin and San Antonio. Texas is diverse and has two of the larger cities in the US.
Houston and Dallas may not be boring compared with some small town with 150k people, but compared with cities with similar population elsewhere (6 million), they are boring as hell.

Benchmark: Miami, Madrid, Toronto, Barcelona, Miami, Berlin etc.

Texas cities are definitely underachievers when it comes to fun and excitement factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
But you do know that many people do exactly what you said they don't do, right?

Let's step back, you admitted that you are familiar with farmer's markets. Are you aware that farmer's market sell grocery and people hang out there? Just a simple yes or no would do.

This is an example of a gathering at a particular farmer's market:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1581156198836180/




Yes it is.

Just because it's a chore, does it mean it must be boring?




But you are aware that many do, right?
.
1. I'm tired of your attitude towards me.

2. I have never known of anyone, anywhere, and I've probably lived in more places than you have, who ever went to the grocery store to "hang out". What would you do there? Nowadays, a lot of them have a Starbucks in-store with tables, so some, like the person I referenced earlier who works at home, may go to the grocery store to buy a cup of coffee. But to "hang out"? No, I don't know of anyone who does/did that.

The only one who's ever said the bold, even here on CD, is you! Nor have you presented any stats re: same. Grocery shopping is not a "social time" activity. Going to the Farmer's Market may be, but I agree with saibot, I just go to get what I'm looking for (usually sweet corn) and leave, trying to avoid the homemade soap for $10/bar, and other bric-a-brac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 AM
 
76 posts, read 68,950 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Houston and Dallas may not be boring compared with some small town with 150k people, but compared with cities with similar population elsewhere (6 million), they are boring as hell.

Benchmark: Miami, Madrid, Toronto, Barcelona, Miami, Berlin etc.

Texas cities are definitely underachievers when it comes to fun and excitement factors.
Exactly my point

San Antonio has 2 million people and the only thing to do is go to a water park they have, walk around the river walk (A shopping mall built on a creek downtown) and go to the Alamo (the best thing in the whole city)

compare it to cities of 2 million people elsewhere and you'll see how lame san Antonio is

Austin is even worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,482,787 times
Reputation: 3406
It's only boring because people are so anti-social and prejudice, but try to act all brand new when they go overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It's only boring because people are so anti-social and prejudice, but try to act all brand new when they go overseas.
According to your definition then nowhere is boring on the planet. You can have fun in the middle of the Sahara as long as you are social and open-minded I guess.

Some cities are simply more boring than others, just like some kids are just dumber than others, why is it so hard to accept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 AM
 
9,623 posts, read 5,944,949 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
1. I'm tired of your attitude towards me.
What attitude? I have not called you names. I did not put down any city. All I wanted is for you to acknowledge a couple of facts so the debate can move forward because it keeps getting stuck in the same place. And if you disagree with those facts then I'd like to hear any point you make to the contrary. I am perplexed why you think I have an attitude.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
2. I have never known of anyone, anywhere, and I've probably lived in more places than you have, who ever went to the grocery store to "hang out". What would you do there? Nowadays, a lot of them have a Starbucks in-store with tables, so some, like the person I referenced earlier who works at home, may go to the grocery store to buy a cup of coffee. But to "hang out"? No, I don't know of anyone who does/did that.

The only one who's ever said the bold, even here on CD, is you! Nor have you presented any stats re: same. Grocery shopping is not a "social time" activity. Going to the Farmer's Market may be, but I agree with saibot, I just go to get what I'm looking for (usually sweet corn) and leave, trying to avoid the homemade soap for $10/bar, and other bric-a-brac.

The thing is you are contradicting yourself right there in the two sentences.

First sentence you say grocery shopping is not social time.

Second sentence you acknowledged that going to the Farmer's Market may be used as social time.

You say one thing and then the very next sentence you contradict what you've just said. And when I press further you say I have an attitude. For now, for this debate to move forward you'd have to clarify why you admit that Farmers Market have been used as a place for social activity but yet you keep insisting such activity is non-existent.

You keep saying, "I don't know anyone who does this.... or that...." Well, I don't know anyone who thought a Tesla either, does that mean Tesla isn't selling like hot cakes?

I have also provided a link to a group who gathered at their local Farmer's Market for drinks, hang out, and listen to music. The very activity that you said people do not do. If that is not a fact that I provided, I don't know what is.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:19 PM
 
3,308 posts, read 2,764,457 times
Reputation: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Houston and Dallas may not be boring compared with some small town with 150k people, but compared with cities with similar population elsewhere (6 million), they are boring as hell.

Benchmark: Miami, Madrid, Toronto, Barcelona, Miami, Berlin etc.

Texas cities are definitely underachievers when it comes to fun and excitement factors.
It depends on what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
1,221 posts, read 1,731,211 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio-claudio View Post
Exactly my point

San Antonio has 2 million people and the only thing to do is go to a water park they have, walk around the river walk (A shopping mall built on a creek downtown) and go to the Alamo (the best thing in the whole city)

compare it to cities of 2 million people elsewhere and you'll see how lame san Antonio is

Austin is even worst
You've obviously never lived in SA. I listed several activities in the last few months in my post and FIESTA starts this week. Seriously besides Splashtown, who goes there anyway - and Schlitterbahn is in New Braunfels, there is Six Flags, Seaworld, the zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Tower of the Americas, the Missions (churches and minor league baseball), the Pearl, the Witte, the McNay, the Childrens Museum, the Institute of Texan Cultures, the Majestic Theater, sheesh the SPURS if you want sports. Not that these are festivals but since you only found 3 things to cite in the entire city I thought I'd correct your perception.

Within an hour of SA is Federicksburg with the Nimitz Museum, Octoberfest, German restaurants, Enchanted Rock and you can even take a wine tour of the wineries in the area. Headed east of SA toward that water park you pass Greune with the Gristmill (yummy catfish), Greune Hall with Texas country music with many festivals held among the antique stores. New Braunfels hosts Wurstfest each year and besides Schlitterbahn you can tube the Guadalupe which everyone should do at least once. The opposite side of SA gives you Bandera chock full of cowboy activities and festivals, and the Alsatian food and shops in Castroville used to be a favorite of my mother and mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
What attitude? I have not called you names. I did not put down any city. All I wanted is for you to acknowledge a couple of facts so the debate can move forward because it keeps getting stuck in the same place. And if you disagree with those facts then I'd like to hear any point you make to the contrary. I am perplexed why you think I have an attitude.





The thing is you are contradicting yourself right there in the two sentences.

First sentence you say grocery shopping is not social time.

Second sentence you acknowledged that going to the Farmer's Market may be used as social time.

You say one thing and then the very next sentence you contradict what you've just said. And when I press further you say I have an attitude. For now, for this debate to move forward you'd have to clarify why you admit that Farmers Market have been used as a place for social activity but yet you keep insisting such activity is non-existent.

You keep saying, "I don't know anyone who does this.... or that...." Well, I don't know anyone who thought a Tesla either, does that mean Tesla isn't selling like hot cakes?

I have also provided a link to a group who gathered at their local Farmer's Market for drinks, hang out, and listen to music. The very activity that you said people do not do. If that is not a fact that I provided, I don't know what is.

.
This is the second time you've asked me to "admit" something. Not responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
 
12,658 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Reputation: 17562
I do agree that a farmers or artisan market can definitely be a social activity, I notice it in my town. A food store or any other store though - no. My town has a small family owned farm that's open from about now until about November selling fruits, vegetables, milk, flowers, etc, and the place is seriously a community gathering place (not exactly a farmers market more like an actual albeit small farm but still). Everyone goes there, whenever you go there you see people you know, you talk to them a little. Local kids work there, it's just a very community feel when you go there because it's a local family owned farm that's been here for generations. They recently started selling this incredible chocolate milk imported from some upstate NY farm and everyone knows about it. You actually hear people asking each other around town here and there, "Have you tried the Dryer's milk??"

At our winter artisan market that began this year that I mentioned earlier, it was the same type of thing. Many people in town go, buy stuff, socialize. It was held in the community center which has a gym with basketball courts so while parents shopped, kids played. It was really nice. I really enjoy having this sense of community and closeness in our town, it's known for that. We have who we call "lifers" - residents who have lived here for life, raising their own family here, because it's seriously too great to leave. So is where I live boring? No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top