U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I do agree that a farmers or artisan market can definitely be a social activity, I notice it in my town. A food store or any other store though - no. My town has a small family owned farm that's open from about now until about November selling fruits, vegetables, milk, flowers, etc, and the place is seriously a community gathering place (not exactly a farmers market more like an actual albeit small farm but still). Everyone goes there, whenever you go there you see people you know, you talk to them a little. Local kids work there, it's just a very community feel when you go there because it's a local family owned farm that's been here for generations. They recently started selling this incredible chocolate milk imported from some upstate NY farm and everyone knows about it. You actually hear people asking each other around town here and there, "Have you tried the Dryer's milk??"

At our winter artisan market that began this year that I mentioned earlier, it was the same type of thing. Many people in town go, buy stuff, socialize. It was held in the community center which has a gym with basketball courts so while parents shopped, kids played. It was really nice. I really enjoy having this sense of community and closeness in our town, it's known for that. We have who we call "lifers" - residents who have lived here for life, raising their own family here, because it's seriously too great to leave. So is where I live boring? No way!
Thank you. That's what I was trying to say. People do run into friends at the Farmer's Market. . . sometimes. I've gone and seen tons of people; I've gone and seen no one I know, this in a town of <20,000 people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 03:01 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,498,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
According to your definition then nowhere is boring on the planet. You can have fun in the middle of the Sahara as long as you are social and open-minded I guess.

Some cities are simply more boring than others, just like some kids are just dumber than others, why is it so hard to accept?
I guess. What I do know is that everyone has an individual perspective.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,048,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To nitpick, for mountainous areas it's often national forest land though it depends on the region.

Plenty of people driving to trailheads in Europe. Trailhead parking in Italy:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0903...coarFgQxPQ!2e0

Slovenia:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2893...vImUHUD0zQ!2e0
Another trailhead parking lot in Europe:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4125...GTQA!2e0?hl=en

Looks rather packed appears to be early morning

Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM

601 posts, read 713,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Houston and Dallas may not be boring compared with some small town with 150k people, but compared with cities with similar population elsewhere (6 million), they are boring as hell.

Benchmark: Miami, Madrid, Toronto, Barcelona, Miami, Berlin etc.

Texas cities are definitely underachievers when it comes to fun and excitement factors.
Fun and excitement are very subjective. Just had this discussion with someone dealing with art, mainly music, and how "bad or boring" is contingent on perspective. I'm not sure what fun and excitement mean to you, but if you can't have fun in one of Texas cities, you're probably looking in the wrong areas.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM

601 posts, read 713,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
1. America is not monolithic.
2. America has very identifiable regions, with variation to those regions.
3. Do not generalize about America based on one specific place.

There are cities in the US which are very boring, the Indianapolis of the world. Very suburban and family oriented. Then there are places like Nashville, NYC, Miami, LA, and Las Vegas which have an entertainment culture.
You also have places like DC which are centered largely around careers, but maintains a healthy after work culture of happy hours and socializing. But because they are career oriented and have a normal m-f 9-5 office culture, they do sleep earlier so things close.

The point being is no place is monolithic. There is no stereotypical American city, or stereotypical American. Each city has it's own culture and fabric it adopts, even if that fabric is constant change.

Pretty fair points. Boring will definitely be based on an individuals perspective. I can generally find something to entertain myself no matter where I am for a week or so. I'm much more outdoor oriented than urban however.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,013,320 times
Is America "boring" compared to other countries?

No....only to a boring person.

Most larger cities in America have concerts every night, several town festivals a week, if not nightly,
museums, nightlife, parks, many of the parks have free plays and events throughout the year. Cinema's, theater...if where I have lived is any indication. (I am not really into the nightlife scene, but our bars don't close until 4 AM...many of our stores and shops are open 24/7.) Yes, there are big box stores and chain restaurants in every city in America, but yet there are also local cafe's and eatery's, Farmers Markets and local shops. Although the mass transit here is nowhere near as good as in Asia or Europe, most major cities have some form of mass transit or bus system.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,842,709 times
No. The US is so huge and intricate, you could spend a lifetime in one small area and never be bored.

When I took a tour of DC few years ago, our guide said that if one was to see every attraction/museum/embassy in DC it would take 41 Years.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 AM

9,628 posts, read 5,958,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
This is the second time you've asked me to "admit" something. Not responding.
I did not ask you to admit anything.

I only asked you to clarify why you admitted one thing and then immediately contradicted it.

It seems to me you have a hard time understanding me.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,738,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I guess. What I do know is that everyone has an individual perspective.
That is true.

I'll have more fun in Orlando; San Diego; Pigeon Forge, TN and Wisconsin Dells than New York City and Chicago to be honest.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 PM

260 posts, read 170,058 times
No country has as much to see or do as America. To say otherwise is simply foolish. The rest of the world is boring by comparison. We have more diversity than any place on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or