U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 AM

9,628 posts, read 5,960,365 times

Advertisements

US is at the bottom third in terms of density by country, our urban design is car-centric (not walkable), and the big commercial strips are mostly dominated by big-box retail and chain. Add to that this nation is very young (by most standard it's still an infant) and so lacks many historic places. Also, we are a very conservative country (compare to the rest of the developed world) and a lot of "fun" stuff that other countries have are not allowed here or are frowned upon.

So yes, compared to many parts of the world, we are just not on the same level. One foreign friends of mine who studied here and is of Portugal decent described keenly that, "America is a place to relax." Another friend said, "In America, it's ok to sleep until noon because you're not missing anything."

With that said, there are certainly pockets of fun places. San Francisco, New Orleans, Los Angeles, NYC, etc. But because of this country's sheer size, the "fun" cities are very spread out and there is usually nothing but sleepy towns in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 AM

309 posts, read 205,935 times
If you equate nighlife with not being boring, then it is you who are boring. Nightlife = dancing to crappy music, drinking, drugs, hooking up with cheap girls - now, that is boring. A country that has mountains, national parks and places like the Grand Canyon and the Niagara cannot be boring by definition.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:21 AM

33,937 posts, read 42,216,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
US is at the bottom third in terms of density by country, our urban design is car-centric (not walkable), and the big commercial strips are mostly dominated by big-box retail and chain. Add to that this nation is very young (by most standard it's still an infant) and so lacks many historic places. Also, we are a very conservative country (compare to the rest of the developed world) and a lot of "fun" stuff that other countries have are not allowed here or are frowned upon.

So yes, compared to many parts of the world, we are just not on the same level. One foreign friends of mine who studied here and is of Portugal decent described keenly that, "America is a place to relax." Another friend said, "In America, it's ok to sleep until noon because you're not missing anything."

With that said, there are certainly pockets of fun places. San Francisco, New Orleans, Los Angeles, NYC, etc. But because of this country's sheer size, the "fun" cities are very spread out and there is usually nothing but sleepy towns in between.
You're describing suburbs more so than cities.

Big box stores. Tell you what, go do your grocery shopping and buy your meat at one store, your bread at a bakery and your greens somewhere else. Then criticize the US business model of having those all under one roof.

Do it while walking or taking public transportation. Remember, you'll have to do it every day, or every other day. After work.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:00 AM

13,331 posts, read 17,827,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What I'm more talking about is things like street life, festivals, walkability, and so on. America has very little of that. Even though the US is a well populated and highly developed country people still live like cowboys.
Would you mind to explain how cowboys live? Thank you.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:31 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,327,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
If you equate nighlife with not being boring, then it is you who are boring. Nightlife = dancing to crappy music, drinking, drugs, hooking up with cheap girls - now, that is boring. A country that has mountains, national parks and places like the Grand Canyon and the Niagara cannot be boring by definition.
Sounds good to me.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 AM

33,937 posts, read 42,216,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Would you mind to explain how cowboys live? Thank you.
We'll let Toby do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APbAqcOLj-g

Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,013,406 times
Some need to get out more as this country is overall, far from boring. True, there are many sections and small towns that would be pretty boring in many peoples opinion but for those who think other country's are all clubs, culture and endless activities, they may be shocked to learn there are many rural sections in those places where the sidewalks fold up at dark as well.

It just seems that the stories heard of how exiting country "x" may be are told from people who just got back from a vacation and probably spent it in a more touristy and exiting place and lived it up for the whole time he was gone. Of course they were shown the popular clubs and tourist attractions so in their mind that country is just one endless pile of exitement.

Now activities aren't all about clubs and nightlife as there are many other things to do as well, in which there are plenty here, but I can assure you that in the way of nightlife, this country is far from boring as well. And I'm not just mentioning big cities with major party and club seans such as Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, New York or Los Angeles.

Small town/city America can have plenty to do as well as the big cities. I live in Coastal MD and there is one club here in Ocean City which is extremely popular. Many come here in season from New York City to go to this particular club. The town overall is extremely walkable and has plenty of other clubs as well. I can think of many other places up and down the east coast which I have had plenty of an adventure filled night out and these places have all been walkable as well. Places such as Atlantic City NJ, Dewey Beach DE, Ocean City MD, VA Beach VA, Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, St Augustine FL, Daytona Beach FL, Ft Lauderdale FL, Key West FL. I have even found a few decent clubs to go to in touristy Island towns such as Nantucket MA and Nags Head NC.

I have never been bored in any of those places on the many stops I take up and down the coast. They rival many foreign places as well. And I have lived in Costa Rica and spent plenty of time in other Latin American "hot spots" such as Cabo and Cancun in Mexico, Panama City PA, Coastal Venezuela and Medellin Colombia as well as assorted "vibrant" Carribean islands and noticed not much difference. Bars still close at a certain hour (2 seems to be standard). After midnight there are fewer places to go to then before. After 2 there are even fewer. I still probably needed a cab to the popular section. People still got thrown out for being unruly and overly drunk.

Basically there is not much difference in all these foreign places then here. The only noticeable difference is that in a lot of Latin American country's the women are a bit more ,uhm, friendly? You can walk down the street with a beer but they usually want to keep the bottle and give you a to go cup. However, some towns in the US allow that as well. That is not a country wide law here.

You need to get out more. This is a big country with plenty to do for everyone. At least here if I decide to close down the clubs late at night/early in the morning I usually will have an endless selection of late night places to go get something decent to eat.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,518,448 times
If you're bored in the USA, the problem is you.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:58 AM

11,182 posts, read 22,403,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
It seems like in most other countries, there's always something going on, while in the US people are either at work, in their car, or in their homes. American cultural life is far more centered around job and immediate kin than most countries, which I think is the reason why, along with the car culture. Most cities have very lackluster nightlife too, it's rare for a city to have a closing time any later than 3 AM.

American cities feel like a cultural desert with the exception of New York and maybe 3 or 4 other cities to a lesser degree. Even downtowns in the US can feel downright country, everyone leaves after 5 PM and goes home to their picket fence exurb.
Maybe it's just because I live car-free on the north side of Chicago and work downtown, but I don't agree with this personally at all. There's always stuff going on here and I'm always about and about walking somewhere in the neighborhood to meet up with friends, go watch a cubs game or hit the gay bars till 5am, etc (not that I do the last one ALL the time!).

Just depends on where you are. If you're living a really boring life and you hate that everyone seems to be with families, working or on the couch - then pick up and move. There certainly are places around the USA that are not like that at all. For smaller areas try a college town, otherwise there's always something going on in many areas like San Fran, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, etc.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 AM

68 posts, read 52,452 times
To make this fair lets shove all of the most exciting cities and destinations in the US into the size of a European nation and then compare. Point is why even compare us to way smaller countries?

Dont like the rural parts of US? Dont go there. Thats what is great about America - you can get anything you are looking for. The OP is comparing the most exciting places in other countries to the most boring in US basically. I guess New York City, Las Vegas, LA etc. are irrelevant because we are a big country.

Last edited by chicago0311; 04-10-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or