Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 7,617 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I currently work a job that pays around $60K in Denver. The company I work for just told me they would be really interested in having me move to the LA office and that they are willing to consider an increase in salary to adjust for increases in cost of living. However, they want me to initiate the negotiation process by telling them how much I want the salary to be increased by. Here is where my question lies - what factors should I look into when coming up with this figure? I don't want to ask for too much and come off as greedy but at the same time I do not want to ask for too little and sell myself short.

Here are a couple of methods I am thinking of using to calculate my increase in salary. I would appreciate it if you could tell me which one is most likely to lead to a higher increase in salary. Furthermore, which one is most likely to be accepted by the company?

1. Take the average of online CoL adjustment calculators - I have been using a few CoL adjustment calculators on the internet and most of the calculators suggest that the salary would need to be bumped up to about $75K for me to maintain the quality of life I enjoy at Denver. Then there was one calculator that told me it should be only increased to $66K and another one that said it should be raised to $82K. There is some variation in these figures but there seems to be a strong average at $75K. Do you think I should just take the average of all the online calculator figures and ask for a raise to $75K?

2. Go all out and construct a detailed budget in excel - An alternative to using the online calculators is for me to buckle down and present a super-detailed budget using average cost figures for both locations for rent, utilities, transport, groceries, eating out, shopping, state taxes, etc. This will involve a lot more work on my part but it could also uncover some hidden increases in CoL that the online calculators did not account for, thereby increasing the figure for my new salary. There are a number of reasons why my method may result in a higher figure. Firstly, I am assuming the online calculators scale the prices with the assumption that a person will be consuming the same thing and living in the same type of accommodation in both locations. However, this is not entirely true in my case. I am currently splitting a 2BR with a friend in Denver but might be forced to live in a 1BR in LA since I don't know a single person in the city and am not comfortable living with random people I find on the internet. Since 1BR apartments are generally more expensive than 2BR apartments I expect my rent to increase more than if I had just gone from a 2BR in Denver to a 2BR in LA (which is what I assume online calculators assume). In addition, I currently have an arrangement where I am splitting my friend's car so I pay half price for parking, gas, etc, and I did not have to pay for the purchase of the car. If I go to LA, I might have to buy a car and pay full prices on everything related to the car since I don't know anyone I can split a car with there. This means that I will be paying about $5K extra to buy the car and maybe an additional $200/month or so to keep the car around. There is no way the online calculator would take this into account. Lastly, the tax rates are different in LA than in Denver. I am not sure if the online calculators account for this but if they don't, I think I can definitely get a figure that is higher than the online calculators using a manual method.

My concern with this method is that I don't know if the employer will buy my calculations and assumptions. All of this is incredibly specific to my situation and I am afraid the employer might just ask me to use the more general online calculator approach and leave it at that. These are all genuine concerns but I don't know if the employer will care that I can't live in a 2BR apt in LA with strangers? This seems reasonable to me but what do you guys think?

Anyway, those are my questions. I am sorry if it looks like I am overthinking this. I just really want to make sure that I take every little detail into account and do not come out poorer as a result of this move. Additionally, feel free to give me suggestions for other ways in which I can approach this process.

Last edited by FooFighters; 04-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention per month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I'd say at least double your salary. LA is extraordinarily expensive.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
This link may help you:

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Old 04-17-2015, 01:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,013 times
Tell your boss to give you at least 300k a year if you have to move to LA

Old 04-17-2015, 01:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,219 times
LA is not very expensive, except for 1 area, housing. If you're renting it won't be that noticeable, but as soon as you want to buy.

I suggest you look at the neighborhood you want to buy, and look at the house median value there and compare to the place in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.