U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:07 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Let's start a list of things that people on City-Data talk about that in the real world, really seems kind of silly to consider when choosing a place. Let me start:

Skylines.
Density.
For me, first place would be Density.

Don't get me wrong, I understand density can be good. For example, more people can equal more stores, restaurants and things to do. But I think for the most part, in REAL life most people want less density, not more.

Another annoying thing I see here on City-Data is Demographics. Not saying demographics is not interesting sometimes but its way too much of this: City A has 15% Irish, 12% Vietnamese, 8% Puerto Rican blah blah blah and City B has 8% Irish, 5% Vietnamese and 13% Puerto Rican blah blah blah so therefore City B is a different kind of city then City A!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 01:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,010,390 times
In even "walkable" cities in the US and Canada you'll find plenty of people driving--it's not even just "walkability" though that's always the attraction--it's the amenities that the popular cities possess.

The fact is that every city and town 100 years ago was basically walkable--it was either that or you lived out in the country. The post-World War II generation had such a demand to get out of the city and into more auto-friendly newer suburbs and cities with more space that barely anything that was built became increasingly more spread-out and older streetcar and older era neighborhoods became a novelty by this century.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-12-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 01:41 PM

6,642 posts, read 8,347,908 times
Eh, it isn't a topic necessarily that irritates me about what City-Data people say. It is that people care too much all the time, especially about where they live. It is like every post is "defending a place for its honor" or something like that.

It comes off as a huge turn off, to me, it shows desperate people trying desperately to make somewhere more likable than it actually is on this forum (why? It does nothing).

I love Miami and as does my girlfriend, that is all I care for. If someone wants to say or even think out loud that Miami should slide to the bottom of the ocean with everyone in it. That's fine. It is their prerogative. Say it, it doesn't affect me. It is when people from cities getting bashed go out of their way to defend it, eh, sort of desperate.

No one should care what others have to say, it shouldn't bother people as much as it actually does.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,671,047 times
The obsession with being part of a given region (northeast, mid-Atlantic, south, etc.). In real life nobody stresses that, that much.

Also, the idea that suburbs or "non-urban" areas are terrible, boring places to live. I live in a city now, but for several years I lived 20 minutes away from a city and enjoyed the change of pace. I was still close enough to easily come into the city for evenings or weekends, but could also enjoy many other ammenities that the suburbs offer.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 PM

4,590 posts, read 2,337,575 times
i actually like city-vs-city, to me its like fantasy baseball.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Eh, it isn't a topic necessarily that irritates me about what City-Data people say. It is that people care too much all the time, especially about where they live. It is like every post is "defending a place for its honor" or something like that.

It comes off as a huge turn off, to me, it shows desperate people trying desperately to make somewhere more likable than it actually is on this forum (why? It does nothing).

I love Miami and as does my girlfriend, that is all I care for. If someone wants to say or even think out loud that Miami should slide to the bottom of the ocean with everyone in it. That's fine. It is their prerogative. Say it, it doesn't affect me. It is when people from cities getting bashed go out of their way to defend it, eh, sort of desperate.

No one should care what others have to say, it shouldn't bother people as much as it actually does.
I agree, but what you also get sometimes is gross misinformation or exaggeration about cities/areas on here as well. So, it may be a matter of giving proper/correct information.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Politics / constant obsession with red state vs blue state.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 PM

4,636 posts, read 2,792,737 times
I disagree about density being meaningless, especially in the bigger cities. Density doesn't only mean the possibility of amenities like restaurants, shops, etc. It also reflects how active and lively your street feels and is at any particular point of the day. Where I live it is around 30,000ppsm and I like it that way. I am never the only person out on my porch or walking down the street be it at noon on a Wednesday or 2am on a Saturday night.

To me, skylines are like the urban version of mountains. It is just something to look at and if your city has some unique architecture chances are it is pretty pleasing to the eyes.

I agree with some of the other posters too about walkability being a generational thing. Street cars and trolleys really are a novelty left behind by a completely different generation that is being reinvested in and reutilized again by an entire new generation. I still own a car because having a car is a luxury that I can afford, but that doesn't mean I want to drive everywhere. I would rather walk to the coffee shop or to the park then get in my car and go to the park on a beautiful day like today. Also parking is nearly impossible in a lot of places so having a subway or trolley to take it eliminates that unneeded stress.

Things I don't like talking or reading about on here: Politics in the city vs city/general us (there is literally an entire forum to talk about them in on here if you really want), threads created by people with an agenda (its like a bad yelp review, you go on there just to spill about how much you hate something even though you could have been in the wrong). suburbanites/country people complaining about the essences of what makes a city a city.

Quote:
i actually like city-vs-city, to me its like fantasy baseball.
haha yes.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:33 PM

9,118 posts, read 4,158,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
walkability, city limit population, city limit crime "rate", nightlife
Crime rate is one of the most important thing people of all ages and preferences care about when moving to a place so I definitely wouldn't include it. Nightlife is also important to most people in their twenties.

I believe that sometimes posters on the Internet overstate the younger generation's desire to live a car-free lifestyle. I think Internet forums in general attract that subset of the population but while its certainly no fringe group among the broader population, a large majority are okay with continuing to rely on their car. Then again, I am in small town middle America but I lived in a major metropolitan area in the Southeast a few years ago and I knew a lot of people who cared about living downtown or near the light rail but I knew more who could have cared less.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:38 PM

9,118 posts, read 4,158,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Politics / constant obsession with red state vs blue state.
This.

With the exception of Oklahoma City on the right and San Francisco on the left, most major cities are purple enough that people of any political or religious persuasion can feel comfortable and find their niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or