U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
Reputation: 4270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Regional stigmas and stereotypes. Some C-Der's blindly stand by them as if they were biblical.
<doing my best impression of a yokle, waiving my cane in the air>
"Cleveland IS a mistake on a lake, dag-nabbit!! And I'm pretty sure the city is covered 'n rust, bein' in the Rust Belt and all..."

-I'm here all week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM
 
3,965 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Reputation: 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It doesn't dictate where one lives though (usually)....but I realize that's not necessarily what the OP is asking for, even though that's sort of how I viewed this topic when initially answering.

*It's interesting, though, that somebody from OKC mentions how important skylines are, since it fairly recently has received a new-tallest building downtown. It makes me wonder how much emphasis the local reporting agencies gave to skylines and downtown, and whether or not the public bought in.

Out of curiousity -- possibly proving my point -- was that building heavily subsidized?
The new tallest building downtown OKC looks phallic and out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The new tallest building downtown OKC looks phallic and out of place.
Just like many of its constituents.....very peculiar..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
Reputation: 5702
Pretty much everything argued about in this forum is not important in day to day life. As long as you love what you do and have good friends, family, and maybe a partner in life you can make a good life in any city. I feel some times that people protest so loudly on some of these things (while obviously having a tangible effect on life) debated in threads to make up for a lack of the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Reputation: 3601
What is cities are northeastern
What cities are most like NYC
What cities have the most Irish and Italians
Density
Sprawl
CSA's
Most millionaires and billionaires
GDP
What America's 2nd city
Best Pizza
Accents
What city is the "toughest"

Basically comparing, bashing, bragging about things they have absolutely nothing to do with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:42 PM
 
1,376 posts, read 1,009,184 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Pretty much everything argued about in this forum is not important in day to day life. As long as you love what you do and have good friends, family, and maybe a partner in life you can make a good life in any city. I feel some times that people protest so loudly on some of these things (while obviously having a tangible effect on life) debated in threads to make for a lack of the latter.
This place is interesting because it's ostensibly a real-estate industry supported relocation forum, but there's also a lot of people who a) Just like to argue about city stats as a sort of competition and b)Are just here to complain about certain cities.

City vs City threads are occasionally started by earnest people actually considering to move to two different cities, but then half the time people ignore the OP's criteria and just talk about population figures or something. Then there's threads that just compare city match ups like you'd compare sports teams.

It's almost like they should just split off a forum for talking about city stats vs. having a relocation forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,090 posts, read 4,137,451 times
Reputation: 7731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
*It's interesting, though, that somebody from OKC mentions how important skylines are, since it fairly recently has received a new-tallest building downtown. It makes me wonder how much emphasis the local reporting agencies gave to skylines and downtown, and whether or not the public bought in.

Out of curiousity -- possibly proving my point -- was that building heavily subsidized?
I am NOT from OKC nor did I live here when the tower was built. I have the unfortunate experience of living here right now but will jump ship as soon as an opportunity becomes available. To answer your question, that skyscraper was built with petro-dollars and has little to do with the city. I agree that the skyline looks simply awful and would have looked much better with two mid-sized towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,959 posts, read 3,824,235 times
Reputation: 3281
I live in Cap Hill, which is a very walkable urban neighborhood right next to downtown Seattle. From my experience living here, skylines are definitely NOT overrated. Have any of you lived by a gorgeous skyline? Because from my apartment I have views of the Space Needle and the skyline and it's absolutely breathtaking. It also changes the whole experience of living in a neighborhood with a skyline view.

Honestly, for someone living a true urban lifestyle, nothing discussed on this forum is overrated. I think the only people who think something's overrated are just suburbanites who like to pretend that they're living an urban lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,634 posts, read 2,787,987 times
Reputation: 2986
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I live in Cap Hill, which is a very walkable urban neighborhood right next to downtown Seattle. From my experience living here, skylines are definitely NOT overrated. Have any of you lived by a gorgeous skyline? Because from my apartment I have views of the Space Needle and the skyline and it's absolutely breathtaking. It also changes the whole experience of living in a neighborhood with a skyline view.

Honestly, for someone living a true urban lifestyle, nothing discussed on this forum is overrated. I think the only people who think something's overrated are just suburbanites who like to pretend that they're living an urban lifestyle.
I have to agree with you. Come sit on my rooftop and tell me it isn't awesome looking at the skyline, using the grill and drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Dallas
282 posts, read 275,574 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Before skyline threads were banned, skylines used to be pretty much all CD used to talk about all the time.

I can't think of anything more inane than skylines. Even density could tangentially affect your quality of life, depending on whether or not you want to be in a congested or uncongested area.

Skylines though....really?
Population estimates seem to be the new "it" topic, since skylines have apparently been banned. On that note, what does population growth have to do with the average person either? How does it (positively) affect me that the population growth in Dallas is 1.5% faster than X city? LOL.

I'm sorry, but nice skylines and aesthetics are far more important to me than population. At least I can look up and enjoy a visually simulating skyline.

99% of the things discussed here, from Census estimates to GDP has no relevance to the average person. But we are still free to talk about whatever we want.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-10-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top