U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,604,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But most people just ask about walkability. You don't see too many ads that say "Great neighborhood! Everything's within footsteps! Located in a census tract with a density of 97,556 people per square mile!"

Outside of C-D, most people don't know what to make of population density. If you told most people the population density of their neighborhood, they'd probably just say "Wow" or "Is that good?"
Maybe not, but I think the naive way for people to compare walkability would be density. Before City-Data, if I wanted to investigate the nature of a city's walkability, I'd probably crunch density statistics.

Now, we have walkability score, which is great and awesome. And will probably put these density things to bed. Who cares if your city is dense because of a bunch of apartment blocks? I want shops, bodegas, clinics, bars, etc within walking of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 PM

526 posts, read 464,552 times
Walkabilty- most people are more concerned about having a drive thru

Diversity- america is by and far pretty segregated and it's not bc most people love diversity

Public transportation - most people would rather drive there Lexus from the suburbs than deal with stinky buses and beggars

None of these are necessarly my feelings, just simple observations from society as a whole

Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,604,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Walkabilty- most people are more concerned about having a drive thru
There is definitely a sizable amount of people who want walkability. Like me, I live in South Beach for walkability or I'd live in (north) Miami Beach, Key Biscayne or something like that.

Quote:
Diversity- america is by and far pretty segregated and it's not bc most people love diversity
When Americans say they want diversity they mean they want diversity of eating options, diversity of nightlife and music options, and diversity of shops. And what's not to like? Don't you like the presence of a Chinatown in your city?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 PM

526 posts, read 464,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
There is definitely a sizable amount of people who want walkability. Like me, I live in South Beach for walkability or I'd live in (north) Miami Beach, Key Biscayne or something like that.

When Americans say they want diversity they mean they want diversity of eating options, diversity of nightlife and music options, and diversity of shops. And what's not to like? Don't you like the presence of a Chinatown in your city?
Hey don't get me wrong I love walkable places like miami beach. My point is more people would rather live in the suburbs and drive everywhere which is evident based on the explosion of suburbs the last 50 years. And diversity I meant living. Everyone loves other ethnic foods, many less people seek out mixed ethnic neighborhoods

Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,407,579 times
Skylines. Skylines. Skylines.

People on here be mad pressed over them I swear lol. Nobody cares, it's not that serious.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,848,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
There is definitely a sizable amount of people who want walkability.

On this website on the internet there are. In the vast vast majority of the US, this is not the case.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM

1,078 posts, read 965,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Skylines. Skylines. Skylines.

People on here be mad pressed over them I swear lol. Nobody cares, it's not that serious.
Yes skylines are meaningless, especially in DC.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Yes skylines are meaningless, especially in DC.
Yep. In a lot of cities in Europe, skylines practically are meaningless as well. These cities have been cultural powerhouses and name-brands within themselves before the advent of a "skyline" in the American context and especially when most American cities were still relatively backwaters in the country's infancy.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,011,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What city has the ________________________ (Fill in the blank) type of women?

Buddy, if you can't get a date where you are, what makes you think you are going to more successful somewhere else?
Or even better the threads that are What city has the most women interested in _______guys?

Like, "Hey is there a city in the US where blond women want to date Indian guys?"
Just dress better and act confident and witty, that's what most guys try...

Old 04-10-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What is cities are northeastern
What cities are most like NYC
What cities have the most Irish and Italians
Density
Sprawl
CSA's
Most millionaires and billionaires
GDP
What America's 2nd city
Best Pizza
Accents
What city is the "toughest"

Basically comparing, bashing, bragging about things they have absolutely nothing to do with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or