U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 PM

371 posts, read 329,977 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What U.S. Cities are like Madrid, Spain?

In regards to the (1) set-up, how the city is designed, how everything falls in to place and is very good looking; (2) the nightlife, the hookah bars that also sell liquor, the hours of night clubs, not closing until 5-6 a.m., and after the nightlife the coffee shops where they serve liquor, the amount of bars and clubs that they have, all arranged nicely so it's easy to party endlessly on Monday, Tuesday, wednes.. ect; (3) the business district, the tall buildings centered in gran via, the metro and never having to wait more than 3-5 minutes for a train, the cleanliness; (4) the youth-vibe, all of the young people, skating, running around, drinking-botellan; (5) the international vibe, people from every city imaginable in the world, Poland, morocco, gypsies, Romania, northern Europe, south American countries, mexico, west Africa, asia; (6) the freedom, people not allowed to have guns so cops don't have gun either and they can't go shooting everybody, and the sense that the cops are on the same level as the citizens, street vendors selling beer, candy, and whatever else you want on the street, everyone happy and sociable because you can do anything you want within reason; (7) the unifying passion everyone has about soccer and the city/country that they're from, people care about local state and national politics because they realize that it is their duty.

Is there any city in the U.S. that is similar to Madrid, SPAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Probably no. NYC would be the closest, I guess.

I think you're slightly exaggerating about Madrid, though. I've been there a couple of times, and it's indeed very nice, but you leave out some things.

It's economy pretty much sucks, salaries are low, prices are high, and the people are probably the coldest/least friendly in Spain. The architecture, at least for Spanish standards, is pretty boring outside the historic center. There's really no must-see attraction outside the Prado. The food is meh compared to Barcelona.

Yes, the streetlife is great, the transit is great, and it's active all-hours. The core is beautiful. The airport is beautiful. I don't think it's quite as diverse as you claim, though. I would imagine a Paris or London or Amsterdam or even somewhere in Germany would be more diverse.

And I would MUCH rather live somewhere in Italy, where the food is much better, the people far warmer, the architecture and history far more interesting, IMO. I think I'd even prefer dumpy Naples, which has far more character, better food, and more scenic/closer to more stuff. But Madrid, overall, is still a pretty nice place to live.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM

371 posts, read 329,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Probably no. NYC would be the closest, I guess.

I think you're slightly exaggerating about Madrid, though. I've been there a couple of times, and it's indeed very nice, but you leave out some things.

It's economy pretty much sucks, salaries are low, prices are high, and the people are probably the coldest/least friendly in Spain. The architecture, at least for Spanish standards, is pretty boring outside the historic center. There's really no must-see attraction outside the Prado. The food is meh compared to Barcelona.

Yes, the streetlife is great, the transit is great, and it's active all-hours. The core is beautiful. The airport is beautiful. I don't think it's quite as diverse as you claim, though. I would imagine a Paris or London or Amsterdam or even somewhere in Germany would be more diverse.

And I would MUCH rather live somewhere in Italy, where the food is much better, the people far warmer, the architecture and history far more interesting, IMO. I think I'd even prefer dumpy Naples, which has far more character, better food, and more scenic/closer to more stuff. But Madrid, overall, is still a pretty nice place to live.

The people are warm compared to DC and NYC, cold compared to LA. The food across Europe pretty bland, that's why I left it out 100%. I don't eat for pleasure anyway, I eat to survive. The prcies aren't that high, it's like any other major city. Its around the same price as DC or LA; 700-1000 for rent if you have a roommate. I do make it seem more diverse than it is, but I do think the Spanish are the best looking out of all European countries, maybe Portugal comes close because they have bodies.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
The climate in Spain is probably most like the climate in Texas. My sister-in-law who lives in Spain and has visited here confirms this, as have my family members who have visited her there.

But Texas has almost none of those other characteristics you listed.

That's why you're going to have trouble finding a very close match.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,298,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
What U.S. Cities are like Madrid, Spain?
Not sure about Madrid, but Kansas City has the Country Club Plaza tower that was modeled after La Giralda in Seville, Spain.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:16 AM

136 posts, read 233,862 times
Nope. Your description of Madrid sounds almost stereotypically non-American, especially the part about no guns hahaa. Not a single US city would satisfy all of your points.

That being said, my buddy from Madrid loves Miami and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or