U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I pay about 60-70% of my income on housing and utilities, and the rest is mostly food. I don't really go to the doctor. That's west coast living for you!
That seems very extreme. I think a lot of it must be moving to areas with lower housing costs. My BF and I have a great place we love and our housing costs plus utilities are around 18% of our income.

How much are people paying on housing costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
California where they tax you do death and then when you die they still tax you. I would only live in CA if I was so rich I didn't have to worry about money like a multi millionaire like net worth of over 10 million. Even if I had 1 to 2 million I wouldn't move to CA, it wouldn't buy you very much.
In California you get taxed to death and get nothing for it. Crap schools, crap roads, no transit, etc. That's why I can't stand the West Coast, well one of the reasons.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
In California you get taxed to death and get nothing for it. Crap schools, crap roads, no transit, etc. That's why I can't stand the West Coast, well one of the reasons.
How much do you think a "crap wages" employee gets taxed by the state of California?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:50 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Well high sales taxes which hit the poor the hardest. High gas prices, insurance rates, high water costs, high cost of food.
Just the basic necessities cost a lot more in California.
Well, yes, but it depends on where you are within California as well. I spent my first 23 years of life there (urban and small-town), I know how it works.

I voted with my feet. I wasn't going to gamble on having/not having crap wages and high COL for the rest of my life.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Well high sales taxes which hit the poor the hardest. High gas prices, insurance rates, high water costs, high cost of food.
Just the basic necessities cost a lot more in California.
I live in Oregon and I make virtually nothing, and I STILL have to give 10 percent of it away. The no sales tax is very nice, but things like food are not cheap here unless you have a Winco or Costco nearby.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,852,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think it should be illegal to refuse to rent to someone because they don't make a certain multiple of the rent. If you can pay the bills, that's all that matters! Just kick em out if they can't pay.
That is the thing landlords/property management companies want to avoid! They do that to help ensure they can pay and not HAVE to go through eviction process 2 months later

Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM

232 posts, read 189,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
My suggestion would be to get the heck out of California if you can.
This! Me and my wife together make less than 25k a year yet we raise 4 kids on that money,2 used vehicles,3 bedroom 2 bath house for 650$ a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.