U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 AM

1,023 posts, read 898,076 times

Advertisements

So far, US is the least racist countries I've been. Nobody cares where you from.

I'm from Southeast Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,551,358 times
Indians are moving to USA in droves for the employment opportunities.....and to avoid the whole Caste system that's still prevalent in India.

Asians' median incomes exceeded White's income by 17% in 2013. This includes all Asians----but I strongly suspect Indian-only incomes exceed the Asian-only average.

Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

Like I previously said, Indians are beginning to dominate the NYC and California banking communities, Medicine, and Technology. I have a lot Indian neighbors ----all good people----my only complaint is they don't take care of their homes and yards----but that's for another thread. If I was in charge----I would allow any and all Indians and SE Asians to emigrate to the U.S. This country needs more of them.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,228,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsamerica View Post
1. Thanks.
2. Thanks for the confirmation. Even though I live in Switzerland, the USA can give off this extreme attitude against Arabs/Indians. The USA was generally portrayed as more 'evil' in Swiss media during the past decade since it was more accepting of war than the EU was.
The American public honestly isn't focused specifically on Indians at all in regards to profiling post-9/11. The thing you're talking about with Arabs basically involved anyone who could look semi-Arab, so this caught in its net some Latinos, other Middle Easterners, Greeks, Italians, etc. It's not like the public went after them, and from looks alone it had more to do with being "randomly selected" at some airports.

The bigger issue is less about race or ethnicity, and more about the religion of Islam. There are ignorant people who say stupid things when people are wearing Islamic clothing, like hijabs. These same people don't mind watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians though, even though Kim would look similar to the same people they're judging if they put her in a hijab. Yes, I do know she's Armenian, but I'm just going by her looks.

Quote:
Thanks. The 'geek is bad' is generally something I associated with the USA, I don't usually come across 'geekism' in Switzerland or Europe.
In high school, yes, but American society isn't built on high school stereotypes. People move on.

Quote:
1) I'd still like to know if Asians and Latinos, along with Whites, are likely to be interested in Indians. As I said, it's not nice feeling totally unsexy and ****. If I keep getting rejected by many people I will feel depressed, and being confined to one's own race is not thrilling to say the least. Would a gay Indian be able to get an asian/latino/white boyfriend in the USA?
I don't see why not, especially in the larger diverse metros. Not every large city is the same though. I will say that I see people of different races on dates, going out together, and dancing together in the bars and restaurants in Boystown all the time though (One of Chicago's gay neighborhoods), even though Boystown is located in a predominantly white neighborhood overall.

You're bigger issue is that you won't be able to get into bars and clubs in the United States; not legally anyway. The drinking age is 21, and many cities and states don't let anyone under 21 in after certain times, if at all, for liability reasons. You're essentially the age of a freshman or sophomore in college here. Do you plan on attending school, or do you have a degree already? You would be able to meet people through your university, or even apps if necessary.

Quote:
2) Is there anything I should be aware of about the 'culture shocks' I'd have being a gay Swiss Indian in metropolitan coastal USA? I'm going for a holiday and there'll be no working, but it's for more than a few months so I want to be certain that I'll be happy.
The coasts are dissimilar from one another. Hell, the Pacific Northwest is going to be different from the coastal California cities. Also note that when people talk about the East Coast, they're more so talking about the Northeast. Everything south of DC is typically perceived as being "the South," which is definitely a different thing than what you're gonna find in the Northeast.

I'd also point out that the center of the country isn't a culturally wasteland filled with racist and homophobic conservatives. There are liberal cities and states between the coasts. I should know, I live in one.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 AM

7 posts, read 6,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I think the OP has it all backwards. Indian Americans have great influence in this country, particularly Banking, Medical and Technology. Additionally, the writer I respect the most is Indian:

About Dinesh D'Souza
But it's hardly equal to the impact Whites, Blacks and even Asians have had on the USA. There simply hasn't been enough Indians in the US to graffiti the culture.

Compare the US to East Asia, the Middle East, or even Europe. The US hardly has any Indian culture at all. If I recall correctly, the most 'Indian' culture in the USA came in through the latino culture via gypsy culture in Spain (think of that eastern music), or maybe through Asians and the ridiculous amounts of Indian culture in East Asia.

Taking Europe as a whole, I could say Indians have had a greater impact in the entertainment and political sectors here. Obviously Indians excel in the traditional industries (healthcare, science, etc) in Europe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Indians are moving to USA in droves for the employment opportunities.....and to avoid the whole Caste system that's still prevalent in India.

Asians' median incomes exceeded White's income by 17% in 2013. This includes all Asians----but I strongly suspect Indian-only incomes exceed the Asian-only average.

Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

Like I previously said, Indians are beginning to dominate the NYC and California banking communities, Medicine, and Technology. I have a lot Indian neighbors ----all good people----my only complaint is they don't take care of their homes and yards----but that's for another thread. If I was in charge----I would allow any and all Indians and SE Asians to emigrate to the U.S. This country needs more of them.
But they're moving for money. I'm just taking an seriously extended vacation for enjoyment. I sure many of those Indians will put up with **** just for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Why not a black boyfriend?
I just do not find blacks attractive. However I'm open to whites, indians and asians. Switzerland doesn't have that many gay blacks and I guess we're more racist here. I'm used to thinking that they are the least attractive. I'm happy with the situation. Blacks are perceived to be the ugliest in Europe like in South Asia. I personally find the more feminine face shapes that Whites, Indians and Asians have to be more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The American public honestly isn't focused specifically on Indians at all in regards to profiling post-9/11. The thing you're talking about with Arabs basically involved anyone who could look semi-Arab, so this caught in its net some Latinos, other Middle Easterners, Greeks, Italians, etc. It's not like the public went after them, and from looks alone it had more to do with being "randomly selected" at some airports.

The bigger issue is less about race or ethnicity, and more about the religion of Islam. There are ignorant people who say stupid things when people are wearing Islamic clothing, like hijabs. These same people don't mind watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians though, even though Kim would look similar to the same people they're judging if they put her in a hijab. Yes, I do know she's Armenian, but I'm just going by her looks.
I'm tolerant of Islam like I'm tolerant of everything. Europe is also ridiculously anti-Muslim right now, there's been several referendums here involving getting rid of 'Islam' and even asylum seeks have been targeted.
Quote:
In high school, yes, but American society isn't built on high school stereotypes. People move on.
I hope so.

Quote:
I don't see why not, especially in the larger diverse metros. Not every large city is the same though. I will say that I see people of different races on dates, going out together, and dancing together in the bars and restaurants in Boystown all the time though (One of Chicago's gay neighborhoods), even though Boystown is located in a predominantly white neighborhood overall.

You're bigger issue is that you won't be able to get into bars and clubs in the United States; not legally anyway. The drinking age is 21, and many cities and states don't let anyone under 21 in after certain times, if at all, for liability reasons. You're essentially the age of a freshman or sophomore in college here. Do you plan on attending school, or do you have a degree already? You would be able to meet people through your university, or even apps if necessary.
I didn't realize the drinking age was 21! wow! I'm sure I'll find a way even if I have to stay in a '21' area.

If things go well I might study there, but I'm simply looking to have fun right now lol.

Quote:
The coasts are dissimilar from one another. Hell, the Pacific Northwest is going to be different from the coastal California cities. Also note that when people talk about the East Coast, they're more so talking about the Northeast. Everything south of DC is typically perceived as being "the South," which is definitely a different thing than what you're gonna find in the Northeast.

I'd also point out that the center of the country isn't a culturally wasteland filled with racist and homophobic conservatives. There are liberal cities and states between the coasts. I should know, I live in one.
We are told (via the media) that its the 'southern' states that are the vile 'FOX NEWS' obsessed states, such as Florida, Texas or Alabama.

Well thanks for the help.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:19 AM

159 posts, read 201,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsamerica View Post
I personally find the more feminine face shapes that Whites, Indians and Asians have to be more attractive.
I don't want to change the direction of the thread but blacks actually tend to have more feminine features than most others partly because africoid features tend to be more rounder and softer. Caucasians tend to have more chizzled and defined features. Asians tend to have more rounded features too IMO

But regardless, you are entitled to your preferences. The BBC can impair your walking abilities for days anyways

Last edited by JoyfulHope; 04-19-2015 at 04:28 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM

320 posts, read 673,875 times
Don't worry, America is less racist than Switzerland, what you will first notice is that it's wayyy wayyy more diverse and nobody cares where you are coming from ...

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,119,705 times
I can't tell the white Europeans the migrate to the states sure love blacks. I am in a relationship with a French guy and here in NY I see all Europeans dating black

Old 04-20-2015, 04:40 PM

115 posts, read 122,542 times
You don't have much to worry about if you are living in a diverse city such as NYC. You'll find lots of people to meet and lots to do. The gay community here is also very diverse. Virtually no one cares about your race. You won't have a problem finding friends or people to date.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 6,201 times
I'll close this thread then. Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
I don't want to change the direction of the thread but blacks actually tend to have more feminine features than most others partly because africoid features tend to be more rounder and softer. Caucasians tend to have more chizzled and defined features. Asians tend to have more rounded features too IMO

But regardless, you are entitled to your preferences. The BBC can impair your walking abilities for days anyways
It was actually a black guy who said that Indian men had more feminine face shapes (attempting to prove the masculinity of blacks, maybe as an insult). Those feminine East Asian beauty standards are the same in India and originated in India - you can see it in all their historic artwork and culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Don't worry, America is less racist than Switzerland, what you will first notice is that it's wayyy wayyy more diverse and nobody cares where you are coming from ...
I always thought this was a white/black thing when Americans talked about the US being less racist (look at the media on the black riot at Ferguson!). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I can't tell the white Europeans the migrate to the states sure love blacks. I am in a relationship with a French guy and here in NY I see all Europeans dating black
Europe is too 'classist' for that, my school friends were too anti for that stuff. I think the UK is the most pro-black country in Europe and even there it's looked down on. I don't think you'd get far in Europe, especially compared to Whites/Indians/Asians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
You don't have much to worry about if you are living in a diverse city such as NYC. You'll find lots of people to meet and lots to do. The gay community here is also very diverse. Virtually no one cares about your race. You won't have a problem finding friends or people to date.
They are not direct friends, but friends of a friend so I thought I'd run the idea by here first. Thank you!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
IF YOU WANT TO FIT INTO U.S. CULTURE, you have to become Americanized.
You don't really have to, just speaking english is the most important part... there are no laws that say you must become Americanized, just stick to whatever culture you are most comfortable with and you will still make plenty of good friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or