U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 AM

144 posts, read 144,838 times

Advertisements

Do you ever get confused as to which culture you fit best in? For example, if you're half Japanese and half Spanish wouldn't you sometimes feel a little "mixed up"?

I ask this because I myself am mixed(Russian Jewish, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Italian, English, and German(or Norwegian, never really got to know Great-Grandma Irma)). So, of course, I sometimes feel a little torn between worlds here.

Again, do you sometimes have trouble identifying with what you're made up of? How do you decide who you relate to most, or which customs to practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 AM

9,623 posts, read 5,406,118 times
yes. First born Filipino.

I get torn between both cultures but unlike most of my relatives identify with mostly US/American culture. I am one of the few that can't speak our native language although I can understand it. Part of it is the location of our childhood... I grew up in a mostly white neighborhood while my relatives of similar age grew up in a neighborhood that's a mix of asian families.

I'm also married. Wife is a mix of Jewish, German, and various European bloodlines. We really don't follow the customs of either side... more like we are focusing on educating about the cultures that make up our ancestry but we celebrate customs that we are making as a family.

Both sides of the family have experienced a form of "attrition". Large families long ago but as the generations passed, became very small, and distant. We wish to change that starting with ourselves.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,249,202 times
Not really. I'm a mixture of German, Syrian, Irish, and some northern European country. (Dad was adopted, and that's as much as I know about his birth parents). Heritage-wise, my grandparents on my Dads side are from England and Scotland and it shows, as they're pretty old school. If anyone has ever seen "So I married an Axe Murderer" with Mike Myers, his Scottish parents are nearly identical to my grandparents.

I use to try and not associate with my Syrian side of the family. They were big, loud, and lavish in a tacky sort of way. But now that I am older I can appreciate it a little more.

I've never had an issue with the mix of cultures however. I guess if I had to pick a culture that I would say is dominant in my life, it would be the Scottish/English side as my dad really displays his heritage. (I wore a kilt to his second wedding, and always thought they're stories were more interesting to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or