U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,054 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My boyfriend and I (currently located in Philadelphia, PA) are looking to relocate. We would like to move down south, somewhere with a beach. I'm trying to get an idea of some cities we should look into.
Here's what we're looking for:
Affordable rent (around $800 a month for a decent place)
Somewhere with a half decent job market (I know unemployment is higher down south right now, but any cities we may have a better chance in than others? Also I know wages are significantly lower, so any insight into what I can expect would be helpful as well. I work in banking and am also a certified personal trainer)
Somewhere with a health conscience environment (access to fresh, healthy foods, gyms, etc)
Affordable housing (Ability to purchase a nice house for $200,000 or less)

Any other details or helpful advice you could provide as well would be great.
Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Honestly, outside of Florida, the big, dynamic job growth areas are positioned pretty far away from a beach. I mean, there's things I love about parts of Hampton Roads, Charleston, and Savannah, but no one would call any of them particularly New South areas.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,478,371 times
Myrtle Beach probably.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Honestly, outside of Florida, the big, dynamic job growth areas are positioned pretty far away from a beach. I mean, there's things I love about parts of Hampton Roads, Charleston, and Savannah, but no one would call any of them particularly New South areas.
Charleston is an Old South city with New South population and job growth. It could work for the OP in some of the suburban areas.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Fairhope, Alabama

Old 04-13-2015, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 5,054 times
Thank you everyone. We've been looking a lot at Myrtle Beach, but I've read a lot of mixed things about the area. Some people love it, others say the crime is so terrible and not to move there. We're going to visit this summer to try to get a better feel for it.
Any particular areas in flordia anyone would suggest?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM

526 posts, read 462,062 times
Check out Jacksonville Florida, seems to fit your criteria

Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStarvingArtist View Post
Thank you everyone. We've been looking a lot at Myrtle Beach, but I've read a lot of mixed things about the area. Some people love it, others say the crime is so terrible and not to move there. We're going to visit this summer to try to get a better feel for it.
Any particular areas in flordia anyone would suggest?
Myrtle Beach gets more than its fair share of crime, being a really big tourist destination but I think it's mostly in the touristy areas. The biggest drawback there is the rather one-dimensional economy which focuses almost exclusively on tourism and service jobs.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM

7,747 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Salisbury- Ocean City, MD?

Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,193,333 times
South Louisiana is starting to see massive investments from a lot of industries. Many billions of dollars are going into the southern half of the state. Lake Charles is blowing up faster than any part of the state, and New Orleans is exploding with film, medical, and high-tech start ups. The reason this is happening is possibly because the nation is going back to trading by sea, and diverting some of the cargo from going into CA ports (which saves money - costs less $$ to move cargo by sea as opposed to through the mountains by rail)

You know what that means for the lower Mississippi Valley ... A hint is exports from Louisiana companies are up 100% since 2009, the second highest growth in the country. $100 billion has been announced in expected investment from natural gas and chemical manufacturing industries. Our problem right now is we don't have enough educated people (and of course the perception issue). It's being seen as one of the biggest foreign investments in the nations history and definitely the biggest in the states history. 75,000 jobs are expected to be added per year over the next 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or