U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,725,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Are you saying that while the 1% is getting richer than ever, the American aspiring for a middle class life should be happy to work 80 hours a week? So the native born American should now work the same harsh life that a non-English speaking immigrant does just to be middle class? All while Wall Street is doing better than ever? Sounds like an overall decline in the economic quality of life for the average American to me...but maybe I am misinterpreting you
What's sad is MOST Americans are sheep like him/her ... just maybe to a slightly lesser extent. I would prefer death over 80 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This is pretty much how I feel about the entire West Coast.
Yes, most overrated place ever. People act like it's perfect, that the weather is never too hot, that there is zero crime (lmao!), that it's so modern even though everyone still looks stuck in the 60s/70s and many people still don't have basic amenities like central AC, that there is so much opportunity even though tech and med is pretty much all there is.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM

656 posts, read 1,794,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
When I moved to Oregon for college, I experienced four years of just wondering, "This is what everyone was blathering about?" I felt duped. This was compounded by the incessant cheerleading and self-congratulatory prattle of locals who were baffled and/or offended that anyone might not think that everything in Oregon was the greatest thing ever. I honestly felt like I was living in the twilight zone, or a psychological experiment about herd mentality, or even some kind of elaborate TV prank show.
This was my experience as well in Oregon. I lived in Portland twice and while there were many things I liked there were many other things that simply didn't work for me. In the end I had to leave b/c the lack of sunshine irritated me too much.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,196,385 times
I've never understood the Portland hype. Its marketing always made it seem like it was acting like the annoying child of San Francisco and Seattle. "We're weird, come see!" Yeah? what else ya got? Could you try to get some of the homeless people off of the sidewalks so I can walk? "YOU ARE SO HEARTLESS!" .. ok

Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,194,224 times
I've lived all over the United States (with the exception of New England), and the only place I couldn't believe people had bought into the hype was: Madison Wisconsin.

Madison was SUCH a disappointment! It's reputation is based on what must have been true about the city 50 (yes at least fifty) or more years ago. Now it for the most part is a typical city with a lot of run down neighborhoods and a beltway and big box stores and too many cars and too many people - and some pretty parts and good stuff, too.

I couldn't take it, and left after not quite a year.

I simply can't believe that so many people buy into the hype about Madison!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 AM

56 posts, read 57,654 times
I appreciate the replies, thank you. It helps to not be alone in my questioning.

Flashes--

Working 80 hours a week, while a nice idea, is not realistic. I am not some single guy living in a rooming house or motel making my microwave dinner and looking forward to watching Pay for View as a release.

Seriously, I have a family to take care of. I have family responsibilities. I don't know any married woman who works 80 hours a week. In this economy, unless you have a skill in demand, getting ONE job for 15-30 hours a week is something to celebrate.

As for New England, it's over-rated. Most of it looks like old mill towns (they were) that need a good scrubbing. There are some naturally beautiful places here, of course, but some of these small towns are like America 1970s--too many people smoke, drink excessively, and the weather is brutal.

At this point I just want to live somewhere the economy is okay so we both can work and our son has more of a future. That place is just not here.

Last edited by Dilnca; 04-15-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,196,385 times
The gulf coast is starting a giant boom in industry and shipping. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are being created annually down here. Look into it.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM

576 posts, read 504,675 times
The figures put out about unemployment sure are good for a laugh. For me its figuring out what weather i want to live in. Most of the country has the same stores and any older city tends to look dirty or run down. Affordability is important,When you look at housing versus wages,A lot of places don't make sense. The Great Lakes area had my interest until i saw the political thinking there.Also the added cost of vehicle replacement,Since they use deicer on the roads. I have no interest in the east coast.
Good Luck to everyone in finding a place that makes you happy.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've lived all over the United States (with the exception of New England), and the only place I couldn't believe people had bought into the hype was: Madison Wisconsin.

Madison was SUCH a disappointment! It's reputation is based on what must have been true about the city 50 (yes at least fifty) or more years ago. Now it for the most part is a typical city with a lot of run down neighborhoods and a beltway and big box stores and too many cars and too many people - and some pretty parts and good stuff, too.

I couldn't take it, and left after not quite a year.

I simply can't believe that so many people buy into the hype about Madison!!!
That's kind of a shame, I was considering Madison as a place to move. What place would you counter-suggest?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,143,619 times
Most people in Colorado think it's greatest place on earth. I like it, sure, it's my home state. But I've also traveled extensively and lived in other states and enjoyed those places as much or more.

I think some of it has to do with the "grass is always greener" syndrome. Colorado is a great place to live, but is it Utopia? No. At least not for me. But it is for people that haven't grown up with mountains in their backyards.

When I moved from Denver to the Springs, I couldn't believe how close we were to the mountains. Mountains, not foothills. Pikes Peak and the Rampart Range seemed surreal they were so close. 16 years later I still find it beautiful, but the novelty of those first few years of living here has gradually worn off.

Maybe I'm just getting older and taking more things for granted.

Last edited by Kar54; 04-15-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or