Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times

Advertisements

I can only speak from my own experience of moving to Phoenix and then back to Michigan and of others I know who moved away and then came back.

When we (and they) visited the new city, it was all new and exciting and the amenities that we don't have at home seemed like the be all and end all. But then, once we (and they) got there and the novelty wore off, and all of our (and their) family and friends were back home, little things that we thought would be the greatest things on earth slowly started to bother us. For me, the lack of greenery and relentless sun overhead,both of which seemed so novel and enticing when we visited, became the bane of my existence. I would have killed to have a huge maple tree in our yard out there.

I think that something along these lines is what happens to a lot of people who are tired of the same old, same old, and leap into something new with blinders on. We downplay what we have and think that the new place will be a utopia, just because it's different.

I'm not bashing Phoenix, btw, it has a lot of nice qualities for the locals, it just wasn't for us. We were terribly homesick and all of a sudden palm trees and being able to swim in our pool in the winter meant nothing. We just wanted to go home and be with our friends and family and enjoy the old, familiar things that suddenly seemed so endearing when we didn't have them anymore. It really taught us to appreciate what we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Sounds like a disgruntled employee. It's a harsh thing to say, but assuming you have your health, there's absolutely no reason any American is not firmly in the Middle Class. I don't care if you're making $12/hour----you can get rich---you'll have to work 70-80 hours/week-----but that's what my immigrant forefathers did when they moved to this country without speaking English and not having 2 pennies to rub together.

Work from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm-----six days a week. Live within your means----you'll have a comfortable retirement.

The problem is few Americans want to do this----I have no sympathies for them.
Are you saying that while the 1% is getting richer than ever, the American aspiring for a middle class life should be happy to work 80 hours a week? So the native born American should now work the same harsh life that a non-English speaking immigrant does just to be middle class? All while Wall Street is doing better than ever? Sounds like an overall decline in the economic quality of life for the average American to me...but maybe I am misinterpreting you

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM

105 posts, read 98,033 times
It sounds like Sweden.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
When I moved to Houston in the mid-1980s, locals kept telling me I would be amazed by the Gallaria. "It has a skating rink in it!!" Well, I made my way to it and saw it was like any suburban mall. And it had a skating rink in it. The rest of Houston is a suburb looking for a city.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Anyone who thinks they will find Utopia is always going to be in for a huge letdown. Even places people have flocked to for decades as so called "paradise" are not without their problems. The same thing goes for those who choose to live in the same place their whole lives, it is not perfect and never will be. Now we all have different preferences, and there are some places in this nation I would never live and see little value in. However millions of people think those places are exciting and cool places. Enjoying a new city or state is based upon the person who is relocating accepting the fact that the place will not be perfect and choosing a place that fits your personality.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
This is pretty much how I feel about the entire West Coast.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This is pretty much how I feel about the entire West Coast.
Hah! I agree. I went to LA and... Well, it was nice to visit in the middle of the winter because it was warm, but... The entire city felt totally tacky to me. Everything's stucco and look like they were built in the 50s and 60s, and you've got window ACs in every. single. freaking. house.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
lol.. Yeah, there isn't much architectural inspiration in today's world going on right now. Either you go old or you go contemporary, which is the same look that's been going on for decades. Most people seem to wanna go contemporary because "price, space, and utilities".

Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM

43 posts, read 53,117 times
Yes. This seems to happen to me in almost every U.S. city that I visit because, well, nothing compares to Europe.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
When I moved to Oregon for college, I experienced four years of just wondering, "This is what everyone was blathering about?" I felt duped. This was compounded by the incessant cheerleading and self-congratulatory prattle of locals who were baffled and/or offended that anyone might not think that everything in Oregon was the greatest thing ever. I honestly felt like I was living in the twilight zone, or a psychological experiment about herd mentality, or even some kind of elaborate TV prank show.
That's why I am leaving the state. I've lived here since 2001 (Not my choice ... my mom moved here when I was a kid and I never left) and I'm really looking to move East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.