U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
The second city of Iowa is the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City corridor and the second city of Wisconsin is Madison.
The primary city of North Dakota is also definitely Fargo, not Bismarck.

Otherwise I think you're mostly right.
Although most of the metro isn't actually in the state, Omaha might actually give CR-IC a run for its money as being a "second city". It pretty much owns the western 1/4th of Iowa. CR-IC does have some competition from the Quad Cities, and to a lesser extent, Dubuque and Waterloo-Cedar Falls.

And although Madison is only about 2/5ths the size of Milwaukee, it gives it more of a push than most cities of its size would. It's arguably WI's "purely Wisconsin" city in the sense that it has more of its own identity. Milwaukee is a victim of location - it gets compared (usually unfavorably) to Chicago and at times even gets lumped in with greater Chicago-land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:43 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Indiana still has Evansville, Fort Wayne, and the NWI part of Chicagoland. These are by no means small towns.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,913,851 times
I not only disagree that Connecticut is a single-city state, I disagree Hartford is the dominant city. Connecticut has no clear dominant city.

In terms of population, Bridgeport is a clear number one, with 147,000. Then comes New Haven (131,000), Stamford (126,000) and finally Hartford (125,000).

In terms of urban-style amenities, New Haven is clearly number one, with a great pedestrian downtown with several grocery stores, and two gentrified neighborhoods immediately adjacent to Downtown. Parts of Stamford have really turned into a magnet for young professionals as well. Hartford has some downtown condos these days, but Downtown is pretty much still dead after 5PM, and the only nice city neighborhoods are way out in the West End.

It is only in terms of job concentration that Hartford really shines, due to the combination of state government and a high concentration of the insurance industry.

One state which didn't make your list, but should have, is Vermont. Burlington isn't big by national standards, with only 42,000 people, but there's no other municipalities in the state which top 20,000 people - and most of the ones which top 10,000 are suburbs of Burlington.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Although most of the metro isn't actually in the state, Omaha might actually give CR-IC a run for its money as being a "second city". It pretty much owns the western 1/4th of Iowa. CR-IC does have some competition from the Quad Cities, and to a lesser extent, Dubuque and Waterloo-Cedar Falls.
Omaha isn't in Iowa though? I see where you're coming from, but it would be like saying that New York City is the second city of Pennsylvania. I know that lots of western Iowa relies on Omaha for culture and jobs and so forth, but it's still a Nebraska-based metro area.

Davenport does (clumsily) pull its own weight, but it is 50% in Illinois, and in my experience it definitely has more pull on the Illinois side, mostly because Cedar Rapids/Iowa City is the clear leader in eastern Iowa. Iowa is like Wisconsin in that it has lots of smaller cities that each have their own clear identity instead of one gigantic one with more than half the state's population (like Illinois and Minnesota), but Des Moines and CR/IAC are for sure the top two imo.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Honestly, Maryland shouldn't be listed. The fact that you had to put excluding the DC metro proves it.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Do you mean simply the city or also metro areas? Minnesota would belong on the list if only considering metro areas, as would Washington.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Omaha isn't in Iowa though? I see where you're coming from, but it would be like saying that New York City is the second city of Pennsylvania. I know that lots of western Iowa relies on Omaha for culture and jobs and so forth, but it's still a Nebraska-based metro area.

Davenport does (clumsily) pull its own weight, but it is 50% in Illinois, and in my experience it definitely has more pull on the Illinois side, mostly because Cedar Rapids/Iowa City is the clear leader in eastern Iowa. Iowa is like Wisconsin in that it has lots of smaller cities that each have their own clear identity instead of one gigantic one with more than half the state's population (like Illinois and Minnesota), but Des Moines and CR/IAC are for sure the top two imo.
Nail. Head.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

1,743 posts, read 958,771 times
I don't know how long a thread like this can continue because there are only 50 states and a limited number of these "one-city states" but here are some more that the OP did not include:

Alaska - Anchorage
Arkansas - Little Rock
Mississippi - Jackson
New Mexico - Albuquerque
South Dakota - Sioux Falls

Also, I would think North Dakota's "one city" would be Fargo.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM

Until the turn of the millennium, I would agree that Arkansas was a "one trick pony", but NWA (Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc) has really blossomed the past few years. At its current pace, it should overtake Little Rock as the state's largest metro by around 2050.

And South Dakota's second city is easily Rapid City. It means just as much to Western South Dakota as Sioux Falls means to Eastern South Dakota.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Jeez I wonder what category NJ would fall under...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or