U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 2,911 times

Advertisements

I am a 42 yo single woman and recent empty nester. I am finally able to leave the Northeastern NY winters and taxes! BUT... I have no idea where I want to go. I've only been to GA and FL for a 1 wk stretch in each state. My must's are NO snow, low property taxes/cost of living and good healthcare. I will be making the move alone so SAFETY is imperative! No high crime area's. I want to be able to walk, bike and just live without always looking behind my back. (Yes I know to always be aware). I would prefer a coastal town or somewhere close to the ocean. East, West, South, it doesn't matter. Nothing rural but not right in the middle of a city either. A nice townhouse with some grass to garden and enjoy the evening's without being chased in by the bugs like here in NY. Please help this middle aged woman bitten by the wanderlust bug with towns/cities that sound like what I'm looking for as I have no idea! Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM

231 posts, read 299,435 times
Sarasota is nice, close to Tampa and a 3 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale for city stuff. Medium sized town, safe, good demographics, mix of families and retirees, beaches, no income tax, Gulf Coast has better weather. Access to good healthcare and also a lot of NY transplants including my mother lol.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM

57,235 posts, read 81,655,085 times
Where in "Northeastern" NY are you coming from? I'm asking because the cost of living is actually just below the national average in the Plattsburgh area, if that is what you are referring to. If your zip code is correct, it isn't in "Northeastern" NY or the North Country......Odd.

What else are you looking for in a town/community?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-14-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 2,911 times
I'm not as far as Plattsburgh, just outside of Tug Hill. More central NY I guess. I say northern because every time I've said NY, people have assumed NYC. I'm looking for a town where I don't have to drive 30 mins to get to anything like shopping, Dr's etc. I've done that long enough here. Close drive to the beach or park. I like to get out and walk or ride my bike. Just a safe friendly community where it will be easy to get out, meet people and make new friends.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 PM

57,235 posts, read 81,655,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisforliving View Post
I'm not as far as Plattsburgh, just outside of Tug Hill. More central NY I guess. I say northern because every time I've said NY, people have assumed NYC. I'm looking for a town where I don't have to drive 30 mins to get to anything like shopping, Dr's etc. I've done that long enough here. Close drive to the beach or park. I like to get out and walk or ride my bike. Just a safe friendly community where it will be easy to get out, meet people and make new friends.
Upstate NY would work and I'm familiar with your location. Is there a preference in terms of location? You could simply move to a nearby smaller city or a village if you stayed in the area. With this said, perhaps a major college town in a place with a warmer winter climate may work.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,023 times
colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or