U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:25 AM

231 posts, read 296,502 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I live on Staten Island and although I have no direct plans of moving, I am trying to see if there is a place that fits my needs.

Climate: four seasons
Politics: variable. I lean right but politics don't control my life although of course I would like s state that agreed with my views it's not the be all end all. it is important that the state has more permissive firearm laws than NY because I would like to be able to possess a CCW

Culture: somewhere that isn't transplant saturated and has a local culture. a heritage of lots of european culture with some enclave neighborhoods would be quite cool. I like different european culture and I also like established and generational ethnic neighborhoods (hypothetical example: you can say a neighborhood to someone and they automatically think "oh that's where the irish/polish/Germans/Portuguese/Russians etc. live") lots of old school and authentic businesses.

Population composition:
middle/working class, and somewhere that hasn't experienced family flight completely and there are still urbsn type city neighborhoods with middle class families and children who can go to public schools. For me nothing is more depressing than a neighborhood or a city without children. The city doesn't have to have the most amazing economy or be growing. It can even be shrinking a little bit, I just don't want a transplant city where everyone and their mother is coming in and gentrifying everything. Every city has a handful of "cool" areas but I don't want a city where every decent neihjborhood that is close in is in danger of gentrifying and getting filled with DINKS/artists because like I said I prefer neighborhoods with long term residents with a connection to the area and I like seeing kids growing up in the neighborhood. I would prefer if the "cool areas" were genuinely alternative neighborhoods with wierdos and quirky stuff and a little grit like the Village in NYC in the 70s or the Haight Ashbury in the 60s. Not somewhere super sterile and disneyfied with a forever 21 and urban outfitters on every block. Somewhere with a local culture and an accent and loyal sports fans, I think that ties into having a mostly local population. As for racial demographics, it is my personal preference that the city is at least over 1/2 white non hispanic. It's a personal preference I guess, nobody likes being a minority if they can help it..I hope that didn't offend anyone but it is human nature to want to be the biggest demographic. I can budge on that if the suggested city is at least plurality white non hispanic (for those who don't know the meaning of plurality is: less than 50% but still the largest group for instance if s city is 45% white/15% hispanic/20% black/20% Asian than it is a plurality white city). I don't want to get into s racial debate I sm simply trying to express my honest preference. I also prefer somewhere with a more blue collar ethos where not having a degree won't get you looked down upon. I have an affinity for other blue collar people and would like to one day open a small business like a deli or a laundry or a barbershop (I will soon be going for my barber license)

Pricingf course "cheap" is relative, but I would like somewhere that is affordable enough that s blue collar guy can afford to purchase a nice home in a family friendly city neighborhood. Somewhere that I can rent a 1 bedroom for under $700

Thanks in advance for your help. I was thinking maybe Minneapolis but I read on here that it is losing a lot of local culture and getting lots of transplants, is that true in the family neighborhoods of the city or just some districts downtown? Also Saint Louis seems appealing at least the Southwestern part lf the city. Doesn't hit my criteria in re:demographics but STL county seems to have some adjacent areas that could feel like a neighborhood of the city at least in vibe/culture/aesthetics

Btw sorry for typos I an using my phone to type this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Given all (or almost all) of your criteria I would say Cleveland would fit you like a glove.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 AM

56,689 posts, read 80,995,527 times
I'll stay in Ohio and say Toledo based on racial demographics and the blue collar vibe.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,322,771 times
The first cities that came to mind were Minneapolis-St. Paul (moreso St. Paul), Chicago and Cleveland, but I don't think any one city has everything you want. The closest may be Minneapolis-St. Paul, and again, St. Paul is much moreso the working-class, transplantless, neighborhood-centric mecca you're looking for -- all the while still being 60% white, has some good public schools, has four seasons, and has tons of children. The only thing that misses the mark a bit is the level of ethnicity within the white community there. It's not quite like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, etc. where there's been a long established history of different cultural groups putting down roots and claiming entire neighborhoods. There is to an extent, but not to the extent you may be used to. St. Paul has a fairly strong Irish presence, but most of the highly cultural nabes are inhabited by non-whites, like SE Asians (Hmong, Vietnamese, etc.), Africans (Somalians, Ethiopians, etc.) and Hispanic groups. I hope it's not too big of a reach to assume you're Italian -- if so, there's a small Italian group in St. Paul, but it'd pale in comparison to most large Midwest/Northeast cities, especially NYC and Staten Island -- so that might be a big letdown for you, IDK. Also, your concern about transplants may be somewhat justified, but MSP is hardly the next Seattle or Denver either, so take that advice with a grain of salt -- it's pretty average in that realm.

I think St. Louis may be another good choice, as well as Cincy, Milwaukee, and possibly parts of Detroit, Philly, DC and Boston. Sorry, I just named basically every big city in both regions (left out Columbus, Baltimore and Indy I guess). Of the two regions (NE and MW), the Midwest is the only one that's going to be super affordable (I've heard Philly is too, but it's more expensive than any Midwestern city, I think)

Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 AM

I thought about Pittsburgh too.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 AM

5,688 posts, read 3,655,932 times
Philadelphia might work for you, especially South or Northeast Philly. If you want to consider Baltimore, South Baltimore (in particular the area around Fort Avenue) might do it for you; though it might be too gentrifying for your tastes. Also, while that particular area is predominantly white, the city as a whole most definitely is not.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,141,695 times
All good recommendations. Especially the Detroit area if your feeling up to a personal renaissance.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:42 PM

231 posts, read 296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
All good recommendations. Especially the Detroit area if your feeling up to a personal renaissance.
But then I would have to live in the suburbs right? Besides the gentrified downtown, I don't think most of the neighborhoods are safe, and middle class places that would be a safe place for a young 5 foot 5 white guy.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
But then I would have to live in the suburbs right? Besides the gentrified downtown, I don't think most of the neighborhoods are safe, and middle class places that would be a safe place for a young 5 foot 5 white guy.
If you can get a deal in one of the neighborhoods in northern Detroit around Woodward(University District, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, etc), I think you would be alright. Perhaps parts of the Warrendale neighborhood and SW Detroit may work too. Besides that, the Downriver area of Metro Detroit may be worth a look.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,722,614 times
I've heard a lot of good things about Pennsylvania from people. I can't vouch for them though since I've only passed through Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.