Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times

Advertisements

Southern California - Los Angeles to San Diego
Southern Florida - WPB to Miami.

In the Miami forum, there is kind of an general concession that drivers here are worse, more reckless, and more disrespectful. If you search on the internet, you will find Miami generally tends to top the charts in any study or survey on reckless drivers, bad drivers, or aggressive drivers.

As someone who has lived in Los Angeles, San Diego and now Miami, I don't really see a big difference however. At the same time I rarely drive here in Miami because I live in Miami Beach, and everything I need is within a small walk from me.

So I want to hear from others, *only* people who have driven in both for some period of time to make a judgement. If you just got in a cab, please don't comment. If your brother drove in both, and is very vocal about this issue? Is he on CD? Otherwise don't comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
I've only driven in Southern California for very limited amounts, but I grew up driving in South Florida (West Palm Beach area). Hands-down, South Florida is worse. Left turns from the far right lane? An every day occurrence. Traffic in the fast lane doing either 80 or 40? Completely normal. Light just turned red? Well, the first few seconds of the red can also be considered the last few seconds of the yellow! The times I've been in California, I've been amazed by the diligence with which drivers will yield to pedestrians. In South Florida? Truly, it's every man for himself.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,616 times
South Florida---without question. They drive like they've seen Fast & Furious too many times. And really just about anywhere on I-95----I once worked in Flagler County and drove to the Daytona Airport once per week on a Friday afternoon---and it seemed like there was some terrible accident every other week. It was frightening at times.

Southern Cal---I liked how they used their blinkers to signal a lane change on the highway---if you saw the blinker you knew they were coming over...just let off the gas and let them in.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,621 times
I'd say South Florida is more reckless driving but LA is more congested. With LA you really have no option to get up 80 plus whereas everytime I've been to Miami it seems like 80 is the minimum. What bus man said about turning from the far lane is very true in South Florida. In LA when the light turns red, you better wait a few seconds before going, although I didn't really see that in Florida.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 PM

635 posts, read 783,723 times
It's really a national contest. I have driven all over the country for years and people don't take driving very seriously. Funny,considering how many people get killed in accidents each year. Makes terrorist deaths almost seem trivial.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
South Florida---without question. They drive like they've seen Fast & Furious too many times. And really just about anywhere on I-95----I once worked in Flagler County and drove to the Daytona Airport once per week on a Friday afternoon---and it seemed like there was some terrible accident every other week. It was frightening at times.

Southern Cal---I liked how they used their blinkers to signal a lane change on the highway---if you saw the blinker you knew they were coming over...just let off the gas and let them in.
I've only driven in South Florida when I was on vacation once and I remember coming back from Key West to Miami Beach hearing on the radio about a tanker crashing and exploding on I-95 in Broward County shutting down the freeway, it just seemed like such a frightening, shocking accident. Then on top of that all of the crazy drivers and maneuvers I saw driving around just made it seem like South Florida driver's were really like the stereotypes I've heard.

I always loved San Diego drivers overall. They drove fast and somewhat aggressive but they seemed to know how to drive and what they were doing. They were much better at yielding to faster moving traffic in the fast lane compared to up here in the Bay Area. I recall many times being one of several drivers doing 90 in the fast line like it was nothing. LA drivers were somewhat similar but traffic didn't move as fast there b/c of the congestion.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:04 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
After just returning from a week in FL, overall the FL drivers are the worse drivers, but they do get a + for use of the blinkers.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:20 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
After just returning from a week in FL, overall the FL drivers are the worse drivers, but they do get a + for use of the blinkers.
Yeah I noticed that, most people use blinkers here. You have the people who swerve in and out of lanes, who obviously don't. I myself never use blinkers unless I need to indicate to someone what I'm doing ahead of time which is almost never on the highway.

One thing I noticed here on Miami Beach is that every now and then the people in the exotic cars will rev and race their cars on side streets. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen a Lamborghini zip by my side street going maybe 60+mph in an area with 25mph speed limit and tons of pedestrian traffic. You won't see that in California, the cars there are very respectful of pedestrians. Also honking, while exists in Southern California, can be multiplied by 2x here. I've seen people here honk even when they're in the wrong.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:26 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
^^ Yep. the wife mentioned the excessive honking too.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
South Florida is really bad, you have the slow old drivers who can't see well, the young people who drive like the Fast and Furious, the tourists who don't know where the hell they are going and the internationals from the Latin American who can't drive for crap. Only place that has worse drivers than Miami is Boston and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.