U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

3,980 posts, read 3,517,680 times

Advertisements

My oh my.....

County lines were drawn long politics were so divisive and for very different reasons. I would imagine the OP looks for every reason to discredit political leanings different from their own. I know a lot of people where the very word "conservative" can insight very strong emotions and visceral reactions. Passionate they are, rational they are not. As in this instance trying to use the number of Texan counties to label conservatives as stupid hypocrites. Surely the OP can come up with better examples that aren't counter intuitive

Old 04-15-2015, 12:37 PM

231 posts, read 297,867 times
Counties in the south were formed in such a way so that if you lived on rural land (as most folks did in days of yore) it didn't take more than a day to get to the county seat to pay your taxes, go to court, also so that you could get to the county seat on Sunday for church. Also OP should note that republican control of the south is a new Phenomenon and famous arch-conservatives such as Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Robert Byrd, and George Wallace were Democratic Party members.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,665,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It seems to be their favorite state when it comes to a big state run by cons, but yet, they have almost 300 counties? SMH

Doesn't this seem to be an example of government waste and an example of government that is not limited?

While the Conservatives Boogeyman state, California, doesn't even have 75.

Any reasoning?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Okay, I get it now. The OP is just extraordinarily ignorant. It probably never dawned on them that Texas is a huge state land wise, but historically, it's sparsely populated. You don't want a county where it takes 2 hours to drive to the court house.

Wow aren't you classy, not. Your big land argument falls short since CA has counties like Kern, San Bernadino and Riverside that are huge and still function efficiently

Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Wow aren't you classy, not. Your big land argument falls short since CA has counties like Kern, San Bernadino and Riverside that are huge and still function efficiently
Um yeah, it's 2015 and Guam can be efficiently run from DC but I bet you that back in 1875 or something it was harder for county government officials in Bakersfield to property govern and control Delano, because on horse back that would've been days away. Texas and GA small counties made government more accessible. It's not a liberal or conservative thing, these places were set up differently and it is what it is. Also you forget that up until very recently (1992) California was a reliably conservative state that birthed Reagan and Nixon and frankly outside of West LA and the Bay Area I wouldn't call it Liberal. It goes democrat because of that fact that Hispanics have a tendency to vote democrat but they are pretty socially conservative. Remember Prop 8? If you look at the white vote CA would go republican and if many Mexicans didn't have BS ethnic loyalty to the Dems (same way socially conservative Catholic Italians and Irish here in NY vote Dem because "that's how it's always been" even though their views are solid moderate GOPers) CA would be a red state. The only parts of California that are truly liberal in the modern sense of the word is LA County west of the 5 freeway, SF, Alameda, and Marin..maybe Humboldt cause of the hippies. OC, Kern, the IE, SD, the Central Valley etc. are not liberal. They may not be Bible Belt places (although the country towns certainly are) but they are not Dianne Feinstein/Nancy Pelosi liberals.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,444,884 times
Texas does have some aspects that are on the liberal side of the ledger.

Texas is one of the states that, early on, ruled that sales tax ought not apply to basic internet access, as it is an educational resource, more so than just a public utility.

The tuition fees are waived in Texas public colleges for blind students, and might be the only state that does so.

Brooks County Texas is the only county in the USA that has never in its history been carried by the Republican candidate for president.

Texas is one of only six states that prohibits open carry of a handgun, even with a permit.

Texas has more gun laws than any other southern state between Alabama and California, and is the only southern state with a gun law specifically written to protect children in the home.

Alll beaches in Texas are public space, and are free and open to public use, even for camping. Same for roadside rest areas and other public lands.

There are still one or two abortion clinics open in Texas.

Texas is the only state east of California and south of Virginia that requires a front license plate, although I can't really say that is a liberal issue. But it certainly sets it apart from the rest of the traditional sout

Last edited by jtur88; 04-15-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM

13,244 posts, read 24,501,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
You don't want a county where it takes 2 hours to drive to the court house.
Quote:
Wow aren't you classy, not. Your big land argument falls short since CA has counties like Kern, San Bernardino and Riverside that are huge and still function efficiently
I have lived in all three counties mentioned above.

They all have regional courthouses. If you are arrested or have court in Kern, and live in Ridgecrest/nearby (100 mi from the county seat of Bakersfield), you will most likely have court in Ridgecrest. There are instances it sucks (in San Bernardino County: Trona, CA to court in Barstow, 97 miles), but Trona is relatively unpopulated, so it doesn't affect too many people. Most people never have a reason to go to court that often anyway.

If you get arrested for a serious offense in Ridgecrest, they ship you out to Lerdo, near Bakersfield. If you get a DUI in unincorporated Ridgecrest, you might end up in the drunk tank in Mojave (60 miles away). Either way, you have transportation TO jail.

Basically, stay out of trouble, and if you don't need the courts much, distant county seats will likely never affect you.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM

601 posts, read 715,629 times
Quote:
It seems to be their favorite state when it comes to a big state run by cons, but yet, they have almost 300 counties? SMH

Doesn't this seem to be an example of government waste and an example of government that is not limited?

While the Conservatives Boogeyman state, California, doesn't even have 75.

Any reasoning?
Someone was very high when they thought this out. Wow

Old 04-15-2015, 03:54 PM

601 posts, read 715,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
My oh my.....

County lines were drawn long politics were so divisive and for very different reasons. I would imagine the OP looks for every reason to discredit political leanings different from their own. I know a lot of people where the very word "conservative" can insight very strong emotions and visceral reactions. Passionate they are, rational they are not. As in this instance trying to use the number of Texan counties to label conservatives as stupid hypocrites. Surely the OP can come up with better examples that aren't counter intuitive

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how having more counties makes a place ...

well, anything.

Politics has fallen to this false dichotomy of left/right, conservative/liberal and become comical.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM

People pull lib/con out of their behind sometimes. I remember I once saw someone write this on reddit, it was so good I saved the quote:

Quote:
Notice how liberal states like Mass and NY are colder than conservatard states like Texas and Mississippi that are hot as hell? Well that's because liberals have warm hearts that keep them warm in the snow, but conservatards are cold hearted like reptilians so they stay in the heat.

I wonder if OP is the same doofus who wrote that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.