U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM

93 posts, read 76,031 times

Advertisements

Hey there - I'm from Massachusetts. Have a well-paying job in the construction industry and plan on staying in the industry for the long-haul.
I've never been a winter person...now that I have a settled career I'm looking at options where I can move and not deal with 6 months of winter (brutal!)

Its pretty important for me to be by the coast and am wondering where the best coastal cities are to settle that have competitive pay and lots of work coming up.
Is New Orleans that city?

I'm considering New Orleans as an option for the culture, weather, music scene, nightlife, younger crowd, outdoors life.
Looking to stay out of Cali.

Does this sound right?
I've also thought about Charleston (too quiet..not enough work?), Miami,
(I know not coastal)--- Austin Dallas or Raleigh.

Any recommendations would be great! Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,129,586 times
You could try the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Granted, it's not the BEST place for singles, but the winters are short (two months long, tops), we've got tons of beaches, a music scene that punches far above its weight, and a decent nightlife in some parts. Plus the area's got more females than males.

But this place isn't for everyone. Try it before you buy it.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM

98 posts, read 87,965 times
you could try Houston and the Galveston area.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
The Charleston area is booming with construction and has a sizable population of young single professionals (and is growing). I don't know what you would deem as too quiet but unless you're a party animal, think it would be a good fit for you. Further to the south there is a ton of growth in the Savannah/Hilton Head area as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM

6,325 posts, read 6,998,998 times
All of those seem like good options. All those southern cities you mentioned are experiencing growth and a tremendous number of construction projects. I'd also consider Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte. Dont really know about pay scale between them, and I too would find Charleston a bit too small.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

183 posts, read 175,566 times
Right now the most perfect city is Philadelphia. It has the complete urban package found nowhere else.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,129,586 times
Philadelphia isn't exactly... coastal. It's near the coast, sure, but it's not coastal.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM

183 posts, read 175,566 times
It's a short trip from Jersey shore. Plus, being right on the ocean means more vulnerable to flooding, erosion, and hurricanes. Philly is protected this way by New Jersey.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 PM

93 posts, read 76,031 times
Philly has many of the points that I had brought up including - workload, growing city, nightlife, etc...but the climate is very similar to that of Boston, which I'm looking for a warmer area.

Carolinas, Southern FL, Southern GA and parts of Texas sound very interesting

Any other recommendations or experience living in warmer climate cities and seeing a boom in construction?
Thanks

Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 PM

6,325 posts, read 6,998,998 times
I'm in Atlanta and Miami often and the amounts of construction going on in both is mind-boggling. In Dallas and Houston less often but I have been quite impressed when there.

I think they all offer good QOL and we're talking about >5 mil pop metros so certainly not lacking in amenities.

Miami skews very hispanic. And seemingly a bit lower income working class juxtaposed with lots of super wealthy internationals (and Americans for that matter) which can create an interesting mix.

Atlanta has a lot of black and hip hop culture, but it's definitely got much more than that to offer. Probably the most walkable and vibrant urban areas, and the most fine arts offerings.

Houston is extremely diverse...hispanic (mostly Mexican though) and a large contingent of various Asian ethnicities. I'm the least impressed with Houston's mass transit, but it is improving. Also the most brutal summer imo.

Dallas has a nice balance imo. Lots of cool gentrifying neighborhoods, a pretty good transit system, fairly moderate temperatures, family-friendly but good nightlife too.

They all have plenty of positives. Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or