U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,205,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
They don't call it the Show Me state for nothing! I've passed through it on the Greyhound and it looked fine, though I do wonder about the crime rate and stuff. Is it really THAT bad? I know there are a lot of weird murders there, but that's true anywhere, really.
Like any big city, there are bad parts to stay away from. East of highway 70 it gets very bad ... just stay away from that area. My daughter lived maybe 10 minutes from that area and her neighborhood was very different. Often times we walked around her neighborhood at night and early morning ... never any problems.

From Interstate 35, the city doesn't look very impressive until you start driving within the city and metro itself. Many very nice older tree-lined neighborhoods and also newer suburbs around Kansas City. You can find neighborhoods like on the East coast and then there are the suburbs south of KC that resemble Dallas or Southern California. Kansas City is very spread out. I'm originally from The Los Angeles area and I was very impressed with Kansas City once I explored the various areas of the metro. I think the city is very under rated.

Another city you might want to investigate is Grand Rapids, Michigan. I've never been there but hear it's a very nice city with a lot of nice scenery nearby and reasonable COL. Indianapolis is another possibility.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-15-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,724,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Like any big city, there are bad parts to stay away from. East of highway 70 it gets very bad ... just stay away from that area. My daughter lived maybe 10 minutes from that area and her neighborhood was very different. Often times we walked around her neighborhood at night and early morning ... never any problems.

From Interstate 35, the city doesn't look very impressive until you start driving within the city and metro itself. Many very nice older tree-lined neighborhoods and also newer suburbs around Kansas City. You can find neighborhoods like on the East coast and then there are the suburbs south of KC that resemble Dallas or Southern California. Kansas City is very spread out. I'm originally from The Los Angeles area and I was very impressed with Kansas City once I explored the various areas of the metro. I think the city is very under rated.

Another city you might want to investigate is Grand Rapids, Michigan. I've never been there but hear it's a very nice city with a lot of nice scenery nearby and reasonable COL. Indianapolis is another possibility.

Awesome! What are the job markets like in those cities?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 PM

3,965 posts, read 3,500,916 times
Quote:
According to the BLS Unemployment rate for Kansas City in feb was 5.9%, Indianapolis was 5.8%, and Grand Rapids was 3.9%. These numbers are metro area of course. This is the most up to date data for metros I believe.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,076,513 times
Not sure why no one has mentioned Omaha, so I will. Unemployment was 2.9 in January, rent is reasonable, and jobs are plentiful. The climate would be similar to Indianapolis.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Utility bills in the Midwest tend to be fairly low compared to other areas. The amount of electricity and gas used is higher than other regions, but the cost per unit of that fuel tends to be fairly low because of extensive supply and distribution systems. Illinois uses a lot of AC during the summer, but as far as yearly bills electricity comes in second cheapest in the country for average yearly dollars spent.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,923,550 times
Chicago is my very Midwest City by far and yes its cheaper than the East and West Coast but its still pricey. Midwestern Cities like St. Louis, Cincy, Indy and KC are pretty cheap on average compared to the rest of the country.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:12 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,037,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
There is a poster on CD who recently moved to Cleveland from Portland because of cost. Perhaps she will see this and give you more info on that city.
This. Hopefully she weighs in

Old 04-16-2015, 04:48 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,205,771 times
Quote:
I'm sure you could find something in KC, but now that I think about it you would really need a car to get around in KC. I don't think public transportation is that good or extensive. From reading these posts, Michigan or Ohio might provide more of what you are looking for. I like Des Moines, but again not sure about its public transit. I don't know about Omaha's transit, but that is another city worth investigating especially with its low unemployment and good healthcare.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-16-2015 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Not sure why no one has mentioned Omaha, so I will. Unemployment was 2.9 in January, rent is reasonable, and jobs are plentiful. The climate would be similar to Indianapolis.
It's a bit larger than the preferred range, but then again so is Grand Rapids and especially KC. If larger cities were to be in play, I'd recommend those probably before many of the smalls, Madison, Ann Arbor and places like it would be the exception.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,470,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Yes in most cases.
Heating bill's aren't to bad provided you have a natural gas furnace. If you use a full electric resistance heater to heat your home or apartment it can get REALLY expensive fast.
That's really no different than the PNW. While the midwest runs colder than the PNW, having lived in both I'll say that the difference in utilities isn't as large as one might think.

The difference in price per unit isn't the only difference (as someone mentioned), but also the heating systems that tend to be used, and also the construction of buildings. In the PNW it seems like the concept of "insulation" is entirely foreign to much of the construction, and single-pane, aluminum-framed windows are still pretty common.

I moved from the upper midwest to OR, and was shocked by how freaking cold and drafty the OR house was - despite it being 30+ degrees warmer outside vs. where I'd moved from, I had to crank the heat up. And forced electric heat is pretty common out here - one place I lived in OR even had electric radiant ceiling heat, which, you know, made sense 40-50 years ago when electricity was dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.