U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,714,703 times

Advertisements

I make very little money working part time and being on SSI disability, so I can't really afford to live on the West Coast anymore without making huge sacrifices like being cold and hungry all the time. Is it Midwest appreciably better to the point it would be worth relocating there? Also, would the heating bills negate the savings from cheaper rent? Here in Portland I have to heat my apartment 7-8 months of the year, but it doesn't get frigid the way those states do.

I am planning to move this summer. I was going to move this month but some things fell apart, so I'm staying in Portland a few more months but I'm still set on leaving. I know if I stay here longer, I'm going to become a victim of a crime or eventually become homeless like so many others here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,123,177 times
The midwest DEFINITELY has harsher climates, but it depends on where you live in it. The months where you don't have to heat your apartment, you'll probably have to cool it.

But I have no doubt that rents in the Midwest are cheaper than the West Coast.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,198,274 times
Check out Kansas City, especially around the Country Club Plaza area or some of the nearby urban areas ... very popular with the professional younger crowd. Personally, I really like Kansas City. My daughter rented in Brookside for a couple years with another roommate ... a 3 bedroom upper apartment for $1050/month in a refurbished 1920 home. Charming urban area with tree-lined streets and walkable town. Also, KC doesn't get as cold as the more northern Midwest cities.

I don't rent but own an older second-floor condo in Iowa. My 1350 sq ft condo's heating/AC averages $65/mo for electric and $45/mo for gas.

There is a poster on CD who recently moved to Cleveland from Portland because of cost. Perhaps she will see this and give you more info on that city.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM

The problem with Kansas City is that it's in Missouri, even if it's practically in Kansas. Missouri is the place where the bad things happen.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I make very little money working part time and being on SSI disability, so I can't really afford to live on the West Coast anymore without making huge sacrifices like being cold and hungry all the time. Is it Midwest appreciably better to the point it would be worth relocating there? Also, would the heating bills negate the savings from cheaper rent? Here in Portland I have to heat my apartment 7-8 months of the year, but it doesn't get frigid the way those states do.

I am planning to move this summer. I was going to move this month but some things fell apart, so I'm staying in Portland a few more months but I'm still set on leaving. I know if I stay here longer, I'm going to become a victim of a crime or eventually become homeless like so many others here.

Yes, they are. They are substantially lower than the North East and New England, The Pacific North West, anyplace that I know of in California and *most* of the South.

For value, it is difficult to beat the Midwest when it comes to col. And no, I am not discussing an apartment on a bad street in Detroit.

Here are two examples of apartments in my area - River Run Apartments - a full service apartment complex in Warren OH. By full service I mean a gym, library, pool, laundry facilities, activities for residents and a movie theater on premises. All units have central air and dishwashers.

I don't know how many bedrooms you need, but they range from 400 to 700s for a three bedroom with two floors.

Less expensive, neat clean with no frills are the apartments in Garfield Manor. They have a laundry on premises and are located in a beautiful residential neighborhood of older, stately homes.

Apartments there start at 300 something. I know a woman who is on SSI disability who attends my church. She loves it, and you can't beat the price.

In my area of the Midwest - North East Ohio - there are many apartment complexes that lie somewhere between those extremes in prices and amenities.

Country Club Manor. The Candlewood and a few others that escape my memory.

If you look on Craigslist you will see many. It would be under the Youngstown OH Craigslist.
Except you would want to avoid Youngstown proper.

The following areas are fine - Warren, Niles, Howland, Boardman, Cortland, Champion, and others. BTW -- the climate is not as harsh here - unlike Cleveland (which we enjoy visiting) we are just out of the snow belt. We get four beautiful seasons. Spring and Fall are my favorites and Summer is not terribly hot.

If you want more help, send me a DM.

But yes. Absolutely. Rent. Home prices and general COL are less in the Midwest. I hope that is some help.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes, they are. They are substantially lower than the North East and New England, The Pacific North West, anyplace that I know of in California and *most* of the South.

For value, it is difficult to beat the Midwest when it comes to col. And no, I am not discussing an apartment on a bad street in Detroit.

Here are two examples of apartments in my area - River Run Apartments - a full service apartment complex in Warren OH. By full service I mean a gym, library, pool, laundry facilities, activities for residents and a movie theater on premises. All units have central air and dishwashers.

I don't know how many bedrooms you need, but they range from 400 to 700s for a three bedroom with two floors.

Less expensive, neat clean with no frills are the apartments in Garfield Manor. They have a laundry on premises and are located in a beautiful residential neighborhood of older, stately homes.

Apartments there start at 300 something. I know a woman who is on SSI disability who attends my church. She loves it, and you can't beat the price.

In my area of the Midwest - North East Ohio - there are many apartment complexes that lie somewhere between those extremes in prices and amenities.

Country Club Manor. The Candlewood and a few others that escape my memory.

If you look on Craigslist you will see many. It would be under the Youngstown OH Craigslist.
Except you would want to avoid Youngstown proper.

The following areas are fine - Warren, Niles, Howland, Boardman, Cortland, Champion, and others. BTW -- the climate is not as harsh here - unlike Cleveland (which we enjoy visiting) we are just out of the snow belt. We get four beautiful seasons. Spring and Fall are my favorites and Summer is not terribly hot.

If you want more help, send me a DM.

But yes. Absolutely. Rent. Home prices and general COL are less in the Midwest. I hope that is some help.

That sounds heavenly! Damn, we are really ripped off on the West Coast. It's beautiful, sure, but it's not really worth it just to see big mountains 50 miles in the distance. Other places are beautiful in their own way too.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
The problem with Kansas City is that it's in Missouri, even if it's practically in Kansas. Missouri is the place where the bad things happen.
Over the years, Kansas has has been a vortex of homicidal maniacs, from In Cold Blood on down. I've lived in Missouri two different times, once in Kansas City and once on the edge of the Ozarks, and my dad was from a Mississippi River town. I thought it was a very peaceful, unstressed, laid back place to live.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Over the years, Kansas has has been a vortex of homicidal maniacs, from In Cold Blood on down. I've lived in Missouri two different times, once in Kansas City and once on the edge of the Ozarks, and my dad was from a Mississippi River town. I thought it was a very peaceful, unstressed, laid back place to live.
Oh, I'm not a HUGE fan of Kansas. It's just that whenever I have to pass through Missouri, I'm gripped with a powerful urge to unbuckle my seat belt, stomp the accelerator and drive straight into a tree.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They don't call it the Show Me state for nothing! I've passed through it on the Greyhound and it looked fine, though I do wonder about the crime rate and stuff. Is it really THAT bad? I know there are a lot of weird murders there, but that's true anywhere, really.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
That sounds heavenly! Damn, we are really ripped off on the West Coast. It's beautiful, sure, but it's not really worth it just to see big mountains 50 miles in the distance. Other places are beautiful in their own way too.

I moved here from the NYC suburbs. I love it and I have a house that would cost 450K - conservatively, on the East Coast or West Coast.

Our only regret is that we didn't do this earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.