U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,423,177 times
Reputation: 36095

Advertisements

Where did the idea come from, that all that needs to be done to improve a neighborhood is to diversify it?

 
Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,244 posts, read 24,491,477 times
Reputation: 13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where did the idea come from, that all that needs to be done to improve a neighborhood is to diversify it?
Well, it's good for portfolios, so it should work for neighborhoods too, right?
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,725 posts, read 3,678,141 times
Reputation: 16775
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
This nonprofit would not apply to poor whites, although they could utilize it too, because they do not go through the same withholding of resources as poor minorities that live in urban neighborhoods. Poor whites generally live in rural communities uninterrupted by authorities. They too have communities that foster development because those who maintain the community, the police, are from the same neighborhood as those that live in the community. This is not the case in Hispanic and black neighborhoods.
What about the Asians? Do they get to sponge off your nonprofit too? Oh, wait, they don't need to; they have something called a "work ethic."
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,211,182 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

They should have some kind of program where well-behaved&adequately-performing students from crappy school districts can attend WHATEVER school district they want.
Most school voucher programs more or less allow this.
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,934,009 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What about the Asians? Do they get to sponge off your nonprofit too? Oh, wait, they don't need to; they have something called a "work ethic."
Asians and Jews are not considered minorities according to Latinos and Blacks they are too successful.
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,244 posts, read 24,491,477 times
Reputation: 13025
We sure like umbrellas around here.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
 
Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,261 posts, read 1,483,731 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
I would like to start a nonprofit with this goal in mind for a number of reasons. Firstly, increase the competition in the labor market by giving all students of color an equal playing field from kindergarten by giving them the same educational resources that are currently available in majority white neighborhood school districts, ie. Potomac, MD or Newport, CA. Secondly, to fight anti-minority media propaganda by giving the majority citizens some real life experiences with people of color.

Also, I'd like to see the baby boomers and generation x's reaction to these people moving into their neighborhoods at high rates while getting the same education as their heirs haha.

How do you feel about this city-data?
Your stated goal of "diversifying" majority white neighborhoods is racist and reveals anti-white sentiment, most likely rooted in racial hatred. Congrats?
 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 PM
 
371 posts, read 331,170 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Your stated goal of "diversifying" majority white neighborhoods is racist and reveals anti-white sentiment, most likely rooted in racial hatred. Congrats?
Sorry in advanced for the long post, but I was waiting for this response.

Why? It's not so much white neighborhoods as it is the resources that are unfairly allocated to them. Mainly, the school districts and the funding for new textbooks, as well as, other reasons. I have attached a few links to give you insight on why white neighborhoods should be diversified to allow an equal opportunity for all American children.

Three quarters of whites don’t have any non-white friends - The Washington Post

Unequal exposures: People in poor, non-white neighborhoods breathe more hazardous particles — Environmental Health News

Access to healthy foods worse in poor areas | Reuters

How Home Ownership Keeps Blacks Poorer Than Whites - Forbes

^"When blacks buy homes in majority minority neighborhoods, we increase the racial wealth gap. Whites who want to experience racial diversity at home also pay dearly."

What if Ms. Maria Ramirez, a naturally smart Latino female from East LA, has the potential to invent the cure for cancer? However, she could never tap into that potential because she went to school in an underfunded k-12 school district. Then, there we are in American society, without a cure for cancer because the resources that Ramirez needed to succeed were withheld from her. Meanwhile, Ms. Becky Sue graduates from Chapman with a mediocre GPA in biology, but gets a job in the cancer research center because her and the interviewer grew up on the same street and both like the Beatles. You see where inequality comes into play in this situation, right?

This nonprofit would equalize this difference, thus making the whole labor market more competitive. Will it affect some white people adversely? Yes, because there will be more competition in college admissions, vocational, and prep schools when these blacks and Hispanics gain the same access of educational resources as their white counterparts. At the same token, for whites, you don't want your economic achievement to be based off of what street you grew up on and your family name, you want to be successful by overcoming adversity. In short, it's a win-win for everybody.
 
Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,196 posts, read 3,098,606 times
Reputation: 5897
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Why don't you want the live around black people? It's the least you could do per your ancestors wrongdoing.
Strawman + race baiting = TROLL!!
 
Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,196 posts, read 3,098,606 times
Reputation: 5897
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
anti-minority media propaganda
Please cite one recent example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top