U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you suggest I choose?
SF Bay Area 4 12.50%
Philadelphia/some NJ City 10 31.25%
Chicago 17 53.13%
Other 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
Reputation: 4553

Advertisements

Your budget takes SF right off immediately. Between Philly and Chicago, Chicago has the higher immigrant population, and therefore will have more LEP speakers. You definitely need to consider places that have large immigrant populations for that to work.

You mention you lived in Indy. I go to school in Louisville right now. So if you don't mind the weather in Indy, Louisville isn't much hotter in summer. But, there's a current surge in immigration there. I have no idea why. But a large and growing Cuban population is moving in. The South End is the heavily immigrant neighborhood with Vietnamese, Cuban, Somali, and other immigrants. I even volunteered for Catholic Charities and they're currently inundated with immigrants moving to the area and are struggling to keep up. I remember there was a Spanish speaking group, Somali group, Vietnamese, group and like 2 or 3 other groups in the meeting I was at. The Pakistani population is also growing there and there's quite a few Bosnians. The immigration is nothing like it is in Chicago or Houston, and even farther from anything like SF, LA, or NYC. But compared to other cities its size, I feel like Louisville must be near the top for attracting immigrants.

The bus system isn't spectacular there, but if you live downtown there is a lot of stuff to walk to and being downtown, most buses end up there. The Highlands neighborhood is the most vibrant part of the city with every kind of restaurant you can think of. Very nice street to walk up and down and the bus goes right down the street. The waterfront area downtown has a nice new park and walking/biking paths.

Overall, if you liked Indy, you'll probably like Louisville. Its only downside for what you want is the public transit is horrendous compared to Chicago, but then again, most cities are.

Idk much about Atlanta, but as a large international city, there must be a heavy immigrant population there for LEP. If you live in/near one of its urban centers, you can walk a lot or take MARTA. It gets hot in summer, but not as bad as Houston and cools off more in winter.

The problem you'll probably run into a lot is that more urban cities with good public transit tend to attract the immigrant populations, but also are more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM
 
11 posts, read 12,572 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
...............................
Overall, if you liked Indy, you'll probably like Louisville. Its only downside for what you want is the public transit is horrendous compared to Chicago, but then again, most cities are.................................

The problem you'll probably run into a lot is that more urban cities with good public transit tend to attract the immigrant populations, but also are more expensive.
Thanks for the input about Louisville! Somewhere in another thread I also saw someone recommending this city so it's nice to hear validation. I'll leave it in the back burner for now since I won't move forward if I keep on considering new places. However, I will keep the back burner on just in case.

So far, I have already taken some steps towards moving to Philly. I visited there 2 weeks ago and I liked it - very walkable and a decent transit system (for the US at least). I've been to Chicago several times and I'm more familiar with it - also very walkable and a good transit system, so Chicago is my option B. Both cities have reasonable rent prices. I think either one is a good option, but I'm leaning more towards Philly due to the novelty of it (for me at least since that would be a new region for me) and the fact that it's well connected to and part of all the conglomeration that is the Northeast. From what I've investigated, there should be enough of an LEP population for me to be able to get work.

Ill see what happens and feel as time progresses, but whichever place it will be, I am setting myself up to be there around August-September of this year.

I think it's a shame that transit systems and walkability in the US, except for a few exceptions, are so underdeveloped, but well, I guess that's nothing new, but it really irks me when I think about it....better stop now, I'm going into a rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 PM
 
6,559 posts, read 13,757,161 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimes8a View Post
Thanks for the input about Louisville! Somewhere in another thread I also saw someone recommending this city so it's nice to hear validation. I'll leave it in the back burner for now since I won't move forward if I keep on considering new places. However, I will keep the back burner on just in case.

So far, I have already taken some steps towards moving to Philly. I visited there 2 weeks ago and I liked it - very walkable and a decent transit system (for the US at least). I've been to Chicago several times and I'm more familiar with it - also very walkable and a good transit system, so Chicago is my option B. Both cities have reasonable rent prices. I think either one is a good option, but I'm leaning more towards Philly due to the novelty of it (for me at least since that would be a new region for me) and the fact that it's well connected to and part of all the conglomeration that is the Northeast. From what I've investigated, there should be enough of an LEP population for me to be able to get work.

Ill see what happens and feel as time progresses, but whichever place it will be, I am setting myself up to be there around August-September of this year.

I think it's a shame that transit systems and walkability in the US, except for a few exceptions, are so underdeveloped, but well, I guess that's nothing new, but it really irks me when I think about it....better stop now, I'm going into a rant.

Louisville really is awesome though. It really shine for the forecastle music festival July 17-19. I would at least check it out then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd avoid SF area. It's unnecessarily expensive for what it is. Just caught in a trend bubble right now.
Yeah the Bay Area is alright, but it's not worth paying 2-3x the cost of living somewhere else. I mean, it's far from paradise IMO and even without the high cost of living there are better places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Reputation: 4857
If one wants to move to the SF Bay Area, should they do that now or wait 20 years hoping that everything will become less expensive?
Or do you guys think SF will only get more expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,604,969 times
Reputation: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you're trying to avoid hot and humid, leave Philly off your list. I lived there for twelve years and now live in FL. Philly summers are every bit as hot as FL and in some months hotter on average than Orlando (the interior of the state).
Philly has mild cool summers compared to orlando and is never hotter than average than orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 AM
 
21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Philly has mild cool summers compared to orlando and is never hotter than average than orlando.
"Mild cool summers"? And Unicorns and Rainbows too! LOL

Philadelphia's average high in June is 85, July is 87 and August is 88, which is closely comparable to Orlando, FL for those months which no one confuses as either "mild or cool".

Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
Reputation: 4553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If one wants to move to the SF Bay Area, should they do that now or wait 20 years hoping that everything will become less expensive?
Or do you guys think SF will only get more expensive?
The tech bubble WILL burst again, so wait. It'll be cheaper in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,458 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Reputation: 4344
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"Mild cool summers"? And Unicorns and Rainbows too! LOL

Philadelphia's average high in June is 85, July is 87 and August is 88, which is closely comparable to Orlando, FL for those months which no one confuses as either "mild or cool".

Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
Philadelphia Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 19107
I think we all know that Florida has a different climate than Philadelphia, even in the summer. Here is a comparison of dew points, which is a good indicator for the effects of humidity:

Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.

Orlando



https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Philadelphia



https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Last edited by Duderino; 06-02-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM
 
21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think we all know that Florida has a different climate than Philadelphia, even in the summer. Here is a comparison of dew points, which is a good indicator for the effects of humidity:

Dew point is often a better measure of how comfortable a person will find the weather than relative humidity because it more directly relates to whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid.

Orlando



https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Philadelphia



https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States
I have actually lived for quite some time in both cities and despite the dew point difference can tell you the "urban heat island" effect narrows the difference considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top