U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you suggest I choose?
SF Bay Area 4 12.50%
Philadelphia/some NJ City 10 31.25%
Chicago 17 53.13%
Other 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,602,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have actually lived for quite some time in both cities and despite the dew point difference can tell you the "urban heat island" effect narrows the difference considerably.
In the summer in orlando you sweat your clothes out every single day. In philly you might sweat in a given day. My only guess is to that people might think philly is "worse" is because you have quite a lot of perfect summer days mixed in with warm / hot days. It's really ridiculous to compare the two, orlando is knock you out hot coming from philly.

In orlando I had to wear full clothing if I planned on driving my motorcycle more than just 15 minutes to avoid serious sun burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
In the summer in orlando you sweat your clothes out every single day. In philly you might sweat in a given day. My only guess is to that people might think philly is "worse" is because you have quite a lot of perfect summer days mixed in with warm / hot days. It's really ridiculous to compare the two, orlando is knock you out hot coming from philly.

In orlando I had to wear full clothing if I planned on driving my motorcycle more than just 15 minutes to avoid serious sun burn.
So you only sweat some days in the summer in Philly when it averages 85 to 88 degrees and it's totally unbearable everyday in Orlando where the difference is a bit more humidity or a degree (or two). Fascinating logic...

Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Well, there are other reasons, due to the extra humidity, sure, but also angle of the sun (very noticeable to any northerner, especially) etc. Just because Philly gets almost as hot as Orlando sometimes in summer doesn't give it a similar summer climate or feel. Orlando is absolutely and unrelentingly brutal all summer.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,602,914 times
Quote:
So you only sweat some days in the summer in Philly when it averages 85 to 88 degrees and it's totally unbearable everyday in Orlando where the difference is a bit more humidity or a degree (or two). Fascinating logic...
Climate Orlando - Florida and Weather averages Orlando
Climate Pennsylvania - temperature, rainfall and average

Philadelphia peaks in July at ~85 which means yes, you get about one or two weeks of maybe hot temps (for southern standards). In orlando you have over 90 for 3 months. Yes ~8 + average is the difference between uncomfortable / warm / "hot" vs taking a shower because you were outside for 15 minutes.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Philadelphia is more tolerable in the summer than Orlando is. Summer is about a month shorter in Philadelphia, and there are temperature fluctuations during the summer that just don't happen in Orlando. Temperatures can reach 100 or higher in Philadelphia, but back-door cold fronts can also keep the temperatures below 80. The chance of temperatures 90 or higher in Philadelphia typically lasts from mid-May through mid-September. In Orlando, temperatures are persistently 90 or higher from late April through early October.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Climate Orlando - Florida and Weather averages Orlando
Climate Pennsylvania - temperature, rainfall and average

Philadelphia peaks in July at ~85 which means yes, you get about one or two weeks of maybe hot temps (for southern standards). In orlando you have over 90 for 3 months. Yes ~8 + average is the difference between uncomfortable / warm / "hot" vs taking a shower because you were outside for 15 minutes.
Philadelphia does not peak at 85 degrees, that's the point. The last several years it's pushed 90 or more frequently June through August. Seriously, do the Philly homers ever admit any negatives?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,162,721 times
Quote:
Philadelphia does not peak at 85 degrees, that's the point. The last several years it's pushed 90 or more frequently June through August. Seriously, do the Philly homers ever admit any negatives?
I'm going to have to agree with you here. To imply that Philadelphia does not have many hot, no, make that damn hot, days, is ridiculous. It gets very hot in Philadelphia during the summer, oftentimes for many, many days. Though, I can't see how it could be anywhere near as bad as Orlando, which gets more hot and humid days.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 PM

6,954 posts, read 14,084,889 times
Philly gets a spring and fall. Orlando doesn't. Without a spring and fall, it's impossible for Philly to be as bad. Even if Philly was 105 every single during its hottest days of summer, they will eventually get a fall and there was without a doubt a (maybe) comfortable spring before that. Orlando goes from pretty warm and humid in winter to hot/warm and humid in spring to blazing hot and humidity that could melt you into a puddle in summer. Philly can get blazing hot and humid enough to melt you into a puddle too, but there were always be a gradual build up to those temperatures and a gradual decrease to winter temperatures.

For me personally, I've always wanted to experience Miami, but the weather holds me back. Yeah, nearly any city (besides SF) can be boiling hot in summer, but almost all of them will cool off significantly come fall/winter. Even Tampa will have highs in the 50s/60s and occasional snow. Miami is just a consistent really hot and really humid or pretty hot and really humid. That's the difference to me there. Summer might be the same or worse in other parts of the country, but at least the 3 other seasons exist to get some relief from summer.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:08 AM

4,446 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I'm going to have to agree with you here. To imply that Philadelphia does not have many hot, no, make that damn hot, days, is ridiculous. It gets very hot in Philadelphia during the summer, oftentimes for many, many days. Though, I can't see how it could be anywhere near as bad as Orlando, which gets more hot and humid days.
Right. No one is claiming that Philadelphia doesn't have hot summers. It certainly does.

But, outside of the Deep South, the humidity in Florida has no peer. It is definitely the first thing you notice when visiting there from a place like Philly. This is not being a "homer"--it's just acknowledging simple weather differences.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Philly has mild cool summers compared to Orlando and is never hotter than average than orlando.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right. No one is claiming that Philadelphia doesn't have hot summers. It certainly does.
One of the homers certainly is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or