U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you suggest I choose?
SF Bay Area 4 12.50%
Philadelphia/some NJ City 10 31.25%
Chicago 17 53.13%
Other 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:06 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,097,897 times

Advertisements

Why are we discussing weather between Philly and Orlando? He's not moving to Orlando. Let's stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,759,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, there are other reasons, due to the extra humidity, sure, but also angle of the sun (very noticeable to any northerner, especially) etc. Just because Philly gets almost as hot as Orlando sometimes in summer doesn't give it a similar summer climate or feel. Orlando is absolutely and unrelentingly brutal all summer.
I just moved from Orlando. It is BRUTAL, and the least urban city I have ever lived in. With the exception of one street in Winter Park, there is nothing interesting about the city. It is nice to take the kids to the theme parks, and indeed the summers are unbearable. Downtown Orlando is fun if your thing is getting drunk and dancing with girls in short skirts in clubs.

Chicago is hands down the best big city in America. It is the most urban per capita outside NYC and the weather isn't as bad as you would think. Of that list, I would choose Chicago. If you must not be in a mega city, medium large cities which rock are Denver and Portland. For medium sized cities with better weather but almost all the big city amenities, Austin, Nashville, and Louisville are by far the most happening places right now in their size range. Many people who have only lived in coastal big cities discount these "small" cities until they spend a couple months in them and realize they are really cool.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,389,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimes8a View Post
Philadelphia or maybe some NJ city -
- Also, I wonder if I'll feel trapped in the "urbanization" - are there nearby natural features in the area? I think the answer is yes, but I'm rather ignorant about them - Please educate me.
That's not the case at all, especially living in the more leafy sections of the city like the Northwest, Northeast or parts of West Philly. This will come off as completely homer-ish, but I really do believe that Philly has the best location in the country in terms of access to both cities and nature.

But even living in the most urban parts of Philly- Lancaster County and Amish Country is a quick 1 Hour drive outside of the city, the New Jersey/Delaware beaches-Cape May, Avalon, Wildwoods, Rehobeth is a quick 1.5 Hour drive from the city, The Pocono Mountains and Ski resorts are 2 Hours from the city, and development in the suburbs is relatively contained so there are many rural and foresty areas close to the city-Chester County for example has tons of farmland and is the Mushroom Capital of the World, Valley Forge National Park and Historical Site is in Montgomery County. Bucks County has tons of quaint towns and rural landscapes-also river country and The Delaware River Water Gap, a very beautiful area.

Even deeper into Pennsylvania it becomes almost development-less with beautiful lakes, rivers, national parks. National Geographic recently placed Cherry Springs State Park in Central PA as one of the best places in the World to view stars.

Over Memorial Day Weekend my family and I went down to St. Michael's, MD a quaint town on the Chesapeake-quick 2 Hour drive.

Even in the city itself people not as familiar with Philly seem to forget about the vast Fairmount Park-it is said that every neighborhood in the city has some type of access to the park system. The Wissahickon Gorge/Creek is the most beautiful part of the park IMO-and I am so lucky to live next door.

Everything in this picture is in the city limits of Philly:

Attached Thumbnails
Planning on moving and would like some input - Philadelphia, Chicago, SF Bay Area, or your Suggestions-unnamed.png  

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-04-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,465,557 times
[quote=Jaimes8a;39251644] I am totally ok living in a small studio as long as it has a kitchen with stove and fridge. I'm looking to pay no more then $800 to $1000 for rent.[/quote
For this I would I would post in the Chicago forums for locals input of current pricing in most sought after neighborhoods near downtown. Also perhaps the Philly forum. Don't mention Chicago there LOL.

I did see this Rental advertised on C-D classified rentals yesterday.
Great 2 Bed / 1.5 Bath Condo in Park-Like Setting in Chicago Loop!
No prices are given but having a courtyard and green space is nice. Many Chicago Apartment buildings have interior courtyards. Areas out of your price range, they sometimes recommend you consider a roommate to split cost and both have more spendable or savable money.

Quote:
Philadelphia or maybe some NJ city - What attracts me is that I'm both in a city, as well as within the large urban amalgamation that is the Northeast. The area is well connected by transportation, and there seems to be more of a walking culture since a significant portion of the area developed before the car. The rents also seem more reasonable than SF, NYC, DC, or Boston. I'm leaning more towards venturing to this area, but I have to admit that I have this skewed notion (I hope it's skewed) that crime may be too high.
- Please tell me it's skewed. Also, I wonder if I'll feel trapped in the "urbanization" - are there nearby natural features in the area? I think the answer is yes, but I'm rather ignorant about them - Please educate me.
Philly compared to Chicago in HOUSING VARIETIES are far different. Philly is PRIMARILY a ROW HOUSING CITY. Block after block many times solid Rows to even the sidewalk and curbs.

PHILLY IS 65% 300,000+ Row Home City. Much of the city VERY TIGHT ROWS ON NARROW STREETS.

You DO NOT find this in Chicago
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9436...w7AtmGaECA!2e0

Wider Philly street https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9901...-0X5oHXbbO84w!

Philly has its quaint Colonial neighborhoods with Green space and gentrified Row neighborhoods that are renewed and trees planted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9443...as2E3M6ioQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9474...lWUF5eY1DQ!2e0

Chicago is NOT a Row home city and a wider pleasant street grid width. All neighborhoods have housing setbacks and green space and vast majority separated housing and Tree-Lined. Most Towering Trees up to and over the homes in height. Also always a short trip to the Lakefront of Parks, Harbors and BEACHES in summer.

Philly though has MORE places to visit OUTSIDE THE CITY AND REGION. From Lancaster County in PA and its Amish areas to The Mountains of PA with their areas like the Pocono's. Philly promoters also like to note the JERSEY SHORE is a Hour drive at least to Atlantic City which has a direct straight line Highway with no stops.

Chicago has Wisconsin as its playground and All Lake Michigan's Shore to Michigan's attractions.

But for a MORE DRASTIC Change to a 65% 300,000+ Row Home City. You SEEM to have ALREADY MADE YOUR CHOICE of PHILLY and have TAKEN STEPS TO MOVE. Chicago you list as Option Plan B. AS NOTED in your BELOW Quote.

Quote:
So far, I have already taken some steps towards moving to Philly. I visited there 2 weeks ago and I liked it - very walkable and a decent transit system (for the US at least). I've been to Chicago several times and I'm more familiar with it - also very walkable and a good transit system, so Chicago is my option B. Both cities have reasonable rent prices. I think either one is a good option, but I'm leaning more towards Philly due to the novelty of it (for me at least since that would be a new region for me) and the fact that it's well connected to and part of all the conglomeration that is the Northeast. From what I've investigated, there should be enough of an LEP population for me to be able to get work.
Quote:
However, what detracts me is that I'm already familiar with the area, and (part of me is seeking something new). Also, Chicago seems to be kind of alone geographically. On the plus side, I did like living in the Midwest in the past.
Again you made your choice to me. FOR THE NOVELTY OF IT. Chicago has the "El" and Subway system and Good Bus system on ALL main streets. Philly has its Trolley and Subway System. Chicago is in some ways to me MORE walkable on PLEASANT TREE LINED With frontage Neighborhoods. Even the POWER LINES are in the Full Alleyway system. Hid from the fronts.

Main streets have ALL the retail and Businesses that are not tree-lined in Chicago. Examples...

Older Intersection in Chicago neighborhood near downtown.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9104...9IcSFIZKTQ!2e0

Its Neighborhoods https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9050...yU-UzkV9_g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9089...LKuMEE_TQA!2e0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have actually lived for quite some time in both cities and despite the dew point difference can tell you the "urban heat island" effect narrows the difference considerably.
A Tight Row home concrete Jungle surely can hold more heat then a bit more openness. Large Trees block more sun heat. Far more un-gentrified neighborhoods in Philly are TREE-LESS. Then in Chicago

Like this in Philly un-gentrified neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9881...hRNITT6EuQ!2e0

Like this un-gentrified Chicago neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9273...Tpd5_gnXFBVqQ!

Quote:
Chicago - I know this place the best since I have been here quite a bit during short and extended visits. I do like the city, the rents seem about even with Philadelphia, and my brother lives there, which would facilitate the transition to a new place. There is good public transportation, and there is a walking culture. The lake is beautiful in my eyes.
Yes Chicago's Lakefront is a SPECTACULAR feature they are darn Lucky city planners Protected and built. The Lake Gives one ALWAYS A ESCAPE FROM THE CITY. Even just to sit and take it in.

Since with Chicago you are a bit more Familiar with and a Brother living there. To me it is the LOGICAL CHOICE. But SEEMS you seek the ADVENTURE OF A NEW EXPRIENCE. I personally LIKE CHICAGO MORE, having lived there and CHICAGO to me is the SUPERIOR CITY.

You won't find vast open areas as in downtown Philly as In downtown Chicago in this street view
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8805...NEeA!2e0?hl=en

This Chicago Loop Plaza sinks down where you can't see and bike parking around it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8810...c2uA!2e0?hl=en

This is by the Willis (Sears) Tower.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8779...uUhg!2e0?hl=en

And of course "MILLENNIUM PARK" Downtown CHICAGO
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8820...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Philly does have its vast Fairmont Park. But with Chicago you Have the Whole Lakefront too.
AND YOU CAN ALWAYS DO THIS in Chicago, ALONG THE LAKE TO GET AWAY from the URBAN JUNGLE in the city....
Attached Thumbnails
Planning on moving and would like some input - Philadelphia, Chicago, SF Bay Area, or your Suggestions-fishing-chicagos-lakefront.jpg   Planning on moving and would like some input - Philadelphia, Chicago, SF Bay Area, or your Suggestions-chicago-fullerton-beach-jog-bike-paths_.jpg  

Old 06-04-2015, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Since with Chicago you are a bit more Familiar with and a Brother living there. To me it is the LOGICAL CHOICE. But SEEMS you seek the ADVENTURE OF A NEW EXPRIENCE. I personally LIKE CHICAGO MORE, having lived there and CHICAGO to me is the SUPERIOR CITY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This will come off as completely homer-ish, but I really do believe that Philly has the best location in the country in terms of access to both cities and nature.
Thank you both for your responses! Steeps, that was quite a detailed response and I certainly enjoyed it!
I also appreciate everyone else who has contributed so far, even if it was about debating hot and humid weather
I do think that Chicago is the logical choice, BUT, even though logic seems to be held in high regard in this day and age, I may opt for the less logical decision this time.

Both 2e1m5a and steeps seem to express their fondness for Philly and Chicago in their writing - this sways my decision-making apparatus back and forth. I prefer narrower streets, but do like tree-lined streets too. The lake is spectacular, but a nice urban park and proximity to other natural areas and cities is also appealing. One transition would be easier due to familiarity and connections, yet, I'm also seeking a new experience where I'll be pushed out a little further from my comfort zone.

A very subjective and generalizing question - which people would you enjoy more - people from Philly or Chicago? I may be opening a can of worms with this question

New responses are welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or