U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,768,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
...I think I'm really a poor elitist who is on par to becoming a homeless aristocrat
An elitist by definition aspires to be influential (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society.

Surely you are having a huge chuckle with all the replies you have garnered here since your first post in November of 2011. What happened to you between your two inaugural posts then and August 2014 when you resumed posting again?

Quote:
I don't know if I'm really all that lazy...
In the unlikely event you are truly authentic in your desire to be a 'welfare recipient' and if your four pages of posts in the city-data forums are any indication whatsoever I would propose to you that you may certainly be "that lazy".

[quote=transientsalmon;39267636] you just gotta give up your ambitions...quote]

Would you care to elaborate on your previous ambitions which you are so willing to "give up"?

Quote:
...I mean I have to remind myself that a more successful endeavor would be to live abroad, so I may not want to get overly caught up in an american dream... maybe i can work something out and obtain a EU passport...
The "American dream" you reference may not be within your reach (it requires ambition) but rest assured that neither Europe or Montreal, Canada will welcome you with open arms. Libya may very well be a better option for you to set your sights on; just something to think about. There may be other possibilities throughout the world, specifically areas of Mumbai, Calcutta and Bangkok come to mind.

OR, as you appear to enjoy writing you could take your act on the road with your guitar, across this great land of ours and document your experiences...write a book on the "American dream".

If possible, enjoy yourself whatever you decide to do and keep us posted on your adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,709,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
He supposedly "set you up with an appointment" because that's his JOB. Besides, why should he be the only one to witness this? Might as well send you to the next person down the line so they can witness for themselves.
Yes, that is true. I was became disabled due to a degenerative illness back in 2011. The people at the Social Security office were very nice and helpful over the phone and listened patiently. They set up an appointment and told me how to go about applying for benefits.

But applying and receiving are too different animals. Even though I had medical notes, x-rays, surgical records and everything in the world, I still had to eventually hire an attorney who specialized in SSDI/SSI claims to obtain benefits. I had to wait about two years before I finally received them.

Getting these benefits is not as easy as many think. Luckily, I had savings to supplement what I received from SSI from my many decades of working so I could also afford to support myself. SSI/SSDI benefits they give you alone are not easy to live on. People who have nothing else have to apply for other government hand outs so in the case of the OP, he would be living on the dime of others.

What I don't get is where he is saying he wants to live off the government and not other people but the government is "other people."

I never had any objection to contributing towards helping people in need. For years I worked and my taxes went to subsidize schools and I have no children, elderly people on SS and Medicare when I was young and didn't need these benefits myself and to those who were truly disabled and could no longer work when I was perfectly capable of working. That was okay because this is a Society and I believe that those who are able should help others in need because we all benefit.

I joined the work force in 1963 and retired due to my disability in 2011. Then it was my turn to ask for help.

What I object to is paying taxes for the support of able bodied people who can work but don't want to do so and prefer to live off the work of others. There is no excuse for that. None whatsoever. Real artists work hard and have something to show for their efforts. No-talent con men live off the backs of others. Or try to. No one is fooling anyone here.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,709,402 times
I see a lot of meaningless buzz words here. I never considered my job as slaving. A lot of people don't. I did all the things I wanted to do besides my office job which included photography and theater work. It's called having a full life. You have a very narrow perspective.

Life is what you make of it. You can sit and whine and wait for it to happen to you or you can go out and make it happen. It's up to you. But a word of advice, if you depend upon others to pave the way for you, you will never get what you are looking for because everyone else is seeking their own life's goals.

The better people on earth are those who make their own way in the world. Someone gave me a little plaque when I was very young that had the words "Those who are protected will never know the taste of freedom." You are a slave to your craving to be taken care of by others. You are anything but free.

And so with this, I wish you the best of luck, I have nothing more to say to you except I hope you grow up and realize that sooner you realize the world does not owe you a living the better.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,015,522 times
I never considered my career choice slavery either. I actually look forward to my days at work and am glad to get a few bucks at the end of the day for it. I just wish I could work more as I truly love my job/career!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,545,092 times
Sounds like you are just better off living in the city you're in now. Nothing is going to be handed to you, which seems like what you are asking for.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:28 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,729,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, that is true. I was became disabled due to a degenerative illness back in 2011. The people at the Social Security office were very nice and helpful over the phone and listened patiently. They set up an appointment and told me how to go about applying for benefits.

But applying and receiving are too different animals. Even though I had medical notes, x-rays, surgical records and everything in the world, I still had to eventually hire an attorney who specialized in SSDI/SSI claims to obtain benefits. I had to wait about two years before I finally received them.

Getting these benefits is not as easy as many think. Luckily, I had savings to supplement what I received from SSI from my many decades of working so I could also afford to support myself. SSI/SSDI benefits they give you alone are not easy to live on. People who have nothing else have to apply for other government hand outs so in the case of the OP, he would be living on the dime of others.

What I don't get is where he is saying he wants to live off the government and not other people but the government is "other people."

I never had any objection to contributing towards helping people in need. For years I worked and my taxes went to subsidize schools and I have no children, elderly people on SS and Medicare when I was young and didn't need these benefits myself and to those who were truly disabled and could no longer work when I was perfectly capable of working. That was okay because this is a Society and I believe that those who are able should help others in need because we all benefit.

I joined the work force in 1963 and retired due to my disability in 2011. Then it was my turn to ask for help.

What I object to is paying taxes for the support of able bodied people who can work but don't want to do so and prefer to live off the work of others. There is no excuse for that. None whatsoever. Real artists work hard and have something to show for their efforts. No-talent con men live off the backs of others. Or try to. No one is fooling anyone here.
I live off SSI too (well partially ... I work when I can) but I genuinely need it. It irritates me that people like transientsalmon give the right wing nazis cannon fodder for their cruel anti-poor/anti-handicapped ideology.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,729,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I see a lot of meaningless buzz words here. I never considered my job as slaving. A lot of people don't. I did all the things I wanted to do besides my office job which included photography and theater work. It's called having a full life. You have a very narrow perspective.

Life is what you make of it. You can sit and whine and wait for it to happen to you or you can go out and make it happen. It's up to you. But a word of advice, if you depend upon others to pave the way for you, you will never get what you are looking for because everyone else is seeking their own life's goals.

The better people on earth are those who make their own way in the world. Someone gave me a little plaque when I was very young that had the words "Those who are protected will never know the taste of freedom." You are a slave to your craving to be taken care of by others. You are anything but free.

And so with this, I wish you the best of luck, I have nothing more to say to you except I hope you grow up and realize that sooner you realize the world does not owe you a living the better.
Maybe the problem is that he lives in New York, right? I imagine it's pretty ruthless working there, so maybe he needs a more laid back economy. He might enjoy working with kind and patient people and making enough to pay the bills.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 PM

21,222 posts, read 11,850,969 times
I enjoy my job. I find it mentally stimulating and I like that I help society (work at an academic medical center), even if my part is somewhat indirect. I also find my job amusing on a daily basis, but I'm probably easily amused. I also find a midday nap quite enjoyable, probably even more so because it's an occasional treat rather than a daily activity.

I even find this thread amusing - if the OP is real and not a troll (which I highly doubt), all you can do is laugh. Good luck with your career of being lazy. And I think you will find your chances of SSI aren't as good as you think - homeless people are *eligible* for SSI, not guaranteed it. But being homeless is much harder work than you think, and your lazy butt won't last any longer at that than it did for a paying job. So tell your mama not to worry, you'll be crawling back home soon enough. If she hasn't changed the locks, of course.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 AM

149 posts, read 170,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I enjoy my job. I find it mentally stimulating and I like that I help society (work at an academic medical center), even if my part is somewhat indirect. I also find my job amusing on a daily basis, but I'm probably easily amused. I also find a midday nap quite enjoyable, probably even more so because it's an occasional treat rather than a daily activity.

I even find this thread amusing - if the OP is real and not a troll (which I highly doubt), all you can do is laugh. Good luck with your career of being lazy. And I think you will find your chances of SSI aren't as good as you think - homeless people are *eligible* for SSI, not guaranteed it. But being homeless is much harder work than you think, and your lazy butt won't last any longer at that than it did for a paying job. So tell your mama not to worry, you'll be crawling back home soon enough. If she hasn't changed the locks, of course.

thank you for the encouragement! and no I'm not a troll, I'm just a massive genius, and artistic hero.

I will never be going home ever again! I'm literally chilling at the airport at this very second! If homelessness is what my fate will be, then s0 be it...I'll ride it out and live that sh*t out. But no, there is no chance that I'll be going back...unless something goes horribly wrong.

But...you're probably wrong about SSI. Who knows! Who cares!!? I will find out firsthand. But like I said, I have first hand discussions with those folks, and they seemed highly accommodating, and I felt like this would go through no prob.

I'm hopeful for the best, and expecting the worst...so we'll see what happens.

Live, Laugh L0ve, sleep, nap, all day, sup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or