Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
okay so basically I'm living at my moms house on the east coast, I wont say exactly where...and it's time now for me to live on my own permanently.
There is no state that will help you.

I have a friend in his early 30's, and he has never really properly taken care of himself. Never worked for an extended period of time, never had his own place, has had drug and alcohol problems. He is incredibly charming, and still obtains hot girlfriends. He's lazy too, but in my humble opinion, working to him is a form of selling out.

I hope you have tons of friends and family OP, as you could sponge onto one at a time until each one gets sick of you, and just keep rotating between them all from henceforth (my friend above, does this). Maybe somebody will die and leave you a house or a life insurance policy.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 PM

25 posts, read 32,144 times
I'm going be doing something similar soon. I need to get out of this crappy town even though I'll end up homeless wherever I end up. It sucks, but that's the only way to move when you have no college degree or marketable skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 PM

149 posts, read 207,138 times
I would be okay with some employment, I just don't think full time work is going to happen for me. The last job I had, the manager said I was the worst employee in that department in history, and the department was super behind because I just didn't do the necessary stuff everyday and moved really slow... who knows.

No but if you are already homeless and then you apply for welfare, SSI--call it whatever, you can get on it...thats what a lady told me when I applied. But if you live with your parents or something, you have to go through a lawyer and do a whole bunch of pointless crap. But if you're homeless you can get right it on a needs base. So I might just need to find a place to be functionally homeless for a while and reapply. But who knows maybe I will just have a damned life from here on out

But for Oregon...isn't it only portland that is overrun by homeless crises? what if I went to eastern Oregon or one of those smaller college towns like La grande? wouldnt that be possible

Old 04-17-2015, 10:47 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Nope, even people with kids only get cash assistance for a couple of years lifetime total.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Ask not what your country (state) can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country (state).

Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 AM

whatever I'm not fixing to argue with some broads who aren't knowledgeable about this. But if you have a first world country, then its necessary to have a proper welfare system. Take out the words cash assistance, SSI, its welfare.... its out there, you just gotta give up your ambitions, and maybe some belongings, the life you thought you were living, the freedom you thought you had! hahaheehehe....its fight club stuff all over again

Old 04-18-2015, 01:45 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There is no state that will help you.

I have a friend in his early 30's, and he has never really properly taken care of himself. Never worked for an extended period of time, never had his own place, has had drug and alcohol problems. He is incredibly charming, and still obtains hot girlfriends. He's lazy too, but in my humble opinion, working to him is a form of selling out.

I hope you have tons of friends and family OP, as you could sponge onto one at a time until each one gets sick of you, and just keep rotating between them all from henceforth (my friend above, does this). Maybe somebody will die and leave you a house or a life insurance policy.
The last thing I want to be is a burden on my family, speaking for myself. I feel guilty accepting help financially from my family, but due to my condition working the only jobs that will take me (retail and kitchen work) is extremely stressful to the point I have meltdowns from the over-stimulus. So I can't really handle working more than 1 or 2 days a week, it really sucks.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:47 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
But for Oregon...isn't it only portland that is overrun by homeless crises? what if I went to eastern Oregon or one of those smaller college towns like La grande? wouldnt that be possible
Sadly, you would probably freeze to death. People in eastern Oregon are very conservative and uncharitable towards those they perceive as being slackers. I don't even think they would offer you a cup of hot chocolate, let alone a place to stay or money.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:15 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
The whole topic of this thread makes me sick. Society does not owe anyone welfare simply because they choose not to work. However if the OP is serious then he should look for liberal states with huge welfare systems. Obviously it will be easier to sponge off the people of those states simply because they choose to allow it.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 AM

hmm yea I guess no place is going to be so great. I might try somewhere on the east coast...I mean I have to remind myself that a more successful endeavor would be to live abroad, so I may not want to get overly caught up in an american dream when I could try to aim for a european dream later on down the road...anywhere I can dissappear to and dissolve into experiences and be a total outsider is the dream I think... so I may want to try for some place in new england because then I'm moving closer to real england...matter fact I think I have some irish lineage maybe i can work something out and obtain a EU passport...I'm so lazy though...ahh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.