U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:17 PM

183 posts, read 175,448 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Philadelphia a cultural capital?

It has the best cuisine in the country
It has the most historical sites, if fact it's the epicenter of American history
If has the most public art of any city, including the most number of murals
It hosts the largest 4th of July celebration, New Year's parade, and music festivals
Many American institutions have roots in Philly
Philly started America's 1st Fringe festival that's being copied by others
Philly started the gay rights movement (NOT New York or SF)
Philly was the 1st city to practice tolerance and accept multiculturalism
In terms of high art especially classical music Philly has a richer history than anywhere else in the Americas

and there are many more reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 PM

22,343 posts, read 32,215,169 times
Honestly the problem with this thread is believing there are 5 capitals, there is only one...

Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM

183 posts, read 175,448 times
The problem is people refusing to accept Philadelphia as America's #1 cultural hub.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,247,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post

It has the best cuisine in the country
It has the most historical sites, if fact it's the epicenter of American history
If has the most public art of any city, including the most number of murals
It hosts the largest 4th of July celebration, New Year's parade, and music festivals
Philly started the gay rights movement (NOT New York or SF)
Philly was the 1st city to practice tolerance and accept multiculturalism
In terms of high art especially classical music Philly has a richer history than anywhere else in the Americas

First one you mentioned is subjective, and a lot of other cities are just as good if not better.

Philly is great for early American History, but we've been around for quite a while now.

Los Angeles has a more vibrant and storied street art scene and probably has more murals, but I can't say for sure.

New Year's Eve in Philly has nothing on New York for obvious reasons, and compared to other cities in the world pales in comparison.

The last three cannot be measured by any means so I'll just let you have those.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,586,871 times
"the delusional urbanist"?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,197,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post

It has the best cuisine in the country Not even close. Philly cheese steaks can't even win the best sandwiches. That goes to the po boy. Quite frankly all east coast cities are overrated for their food imo. Sorry guys!
It has the most historical sites, if fact it's the epicenter of American history New Orleans has some 35,000 registered historical structures, 20,000 more than DC - number 2 on the list.
If has the most public art of any city, including the most number of murals Link? I don't doubt this actually.
It hosts the largest 4th of July celebration, New Year's parade, and music festivals. But NYC has 1,000,000 people watch its ball drop. Does Philly have a music festival that draws in 500,000+ annually? Little ol' New Orleans has 2 or 3.
Philly started the gay rights movement (NOT New York or SF).
Philly was the 1st city to practice tolerance and accept multiculturalism. What about now? I think the center of these sort of tolerant ideas are coming more from California, more specifically the Bay and Basin areas.
In terms of high art especially classical music Philly has a richer history than anywhere else in the Americas. How do you figure? Philly may have a classical component, but NOLA is home to and birthplace of Jazz, which remains to really be the only musical export of the USA and the foundation of modern pop music. NOLA also held the nations first opera and had the first opera house.

I share your view that the founding history is most important in Philly and it's a very representative city of USA history, but to represent an overall USA of today? I don't know ... When it comes to iconic US cities, it's up there but I wouldn't say top 5 for today.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,205 times
Most foreigners will only know Philadelphia for that cheese brand.

Los Angeles doesn't strike me as a major city. While it's the capital of the english entertainment industry, it isn't really that important. Going by your merits, San Francisco would also be a capital as it's home to silicon valley!

Italy is similar in size to California and Italy has several 'capitals' too (Rome, Milan, Venice, Florence, others...), but I wouldn't call them 'capitals' in the 'New York'/'London' sense.

Last edited by JMT; 04-26-2015 at 04:43 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personmanthing View Post

Chicago?
I thought hard about Chicago, but it's hard to argue against a Texas major metro considering its global impact at the current time. I just couldn't see it beating NYC, DC, LA, or SF either because they have their strong reasons as well. The world seems to be switching back to coastal front properties and doing trade by sea, and our nations industrial might isn't what it used to be for the purposes of the Midwest. Our industrial might seems to be shifting south where energy resources are found (and processed).

A generation ago, yeah, for sure... Chicago would be there. I just think times have changed.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personmanthing View Post
Economy is only one part though. Education, culture, politics, etc. would all lean in Chicago's end over anywhere in Texas.
How? Texas culture is very additive to the US vernacular as a whole, and very important to it. The south has more people in it than any other region in the USA. 1/5 of that lives in Texas, and it has a very noteworthy identity and political structure. I think the difference in academic provenance is not enough of a difference maker to lean it towards Chicago if we are looking at current times, either.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,273,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsamerica View Post

Los Angeles doesn't strike me as a major city.
LA has the world's third largest economy, and a bigger population than London, Paris, or Moscow. It has twice the population of Hong Kong or Singapore. It's the entertainment capital of the planet.

If LA isn't a "major city", then there are only two "major cities" on earth, at least in the first world- Tokyo and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or