U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:32 AM

93 posts, read 75,802 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! Since I am seriously considering moving from MA to down south. Most likely on my own.
Wondering what its like to move away from friends, family and a steady job

The 5-6 month long Massachusetts winters are just too much!
Already thinking about the cold and greyness of next winter

Did you acclimate quickly? Or eventually move back? Or love the move that you made? How long did it take to feel comfortable? Thoughts/Feelings

I'm 26 yr old professional and am excited about the move and at the same time have alot back here in MA

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 04:44 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
A lot depends on you. Some people have no problems leaving the nest and others tend want to stay in a place familiar to them where they feel comfortable and supported.

I think you will have two issues to deal with. The separation from a place you have known all your life, and also culture shock because of the differences between the South and Mass. I am originally from Pa and now live in Florida, and it does take some adjusting. Not only is the area different, but the people are too........not bad different, just different. But I love it here (for the same reasons you are thinking about moving ...........cold, damp, snow for months on end) and will never go back.

If you can afford it, I suggest making a short term trial move to the area you are considering. Hang out, get involved with some people there, and see how you like it. I always moved with my family, so my friends and support system moved with me, so it might be different moving alone.

But you will not miss that white stuff !

Don

Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 AM

Thanks Don - Thats great you found a new comfortable place for yourself!

I've always thought 'the snow and Boston would be nice to visit' but year-round....
I'd definitely be on my own - not married no kids..which can be seen as a perfect opportunity.
Would want to have job lined up, etc prior to moving.

Considering Charleston, Raleigh...possibly N'Orleans. Looking for a city with a booming economy.
Important to be on or near the coast.
Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 AM

526 posts, read 462,727 times
I'm 27 years old now but moved from NY to Florida for a job about a year and half ago. To answer your question, yes it is hard at times. I have zero family down here, and knew not a single soul when I arrived. You do get used to it after a while, but holidays are one thing that never gets easier. Thankfully my fiance eventually followed me down, which obviously made things easier. Had she never followed me down I am not sure if I would be truly happy today honestly. I thought living in Florida and the beaches and everything would make my life sooo amazing but its not true. After the novelty wears off (which trust me only takes a few months) you realize this stuff means nothing and family/relationships with friends means everything.

If you do do it my advice is get immediately involved in something, a club, sport, social group, ect. Loneliness is a killer so you do not want to give it time to set in. Moving south is not everything most northern people (including myself) thought. There are things that are substantially more important in life than not seeing snow. If you can establish a few good friends, it will make things a thousand times better.

In all honestly even though my post seems negative, I will probably stay here. My fiance loves it, outside of no family I now love it, but if i didn't have her idk how long I would last. One thing that is important to note is that I have amazing relationships with my family, we are very close so obviously that makes things harder than somebody who does not get along with theirs. I am finally settled and adjusted to the change. My post is not too seem like downer, its to show you the reality of moving away to a place you know nobody on the preface that no winter will make your life amazing.

Last edited by 02blackgt; 04-17-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 AM

Didn't read your post negatively at all. Appreciate the honesty behind it.

As with you, I've got a tight family. My dads as much a mentor as a friend.
Went to a college where my brother was at.
Family and friends are the only reason why I may stay.

Feel like we're in a similar situation with age, have a good relationship with family, grew up in northeast and wanting to get the hell out because the winter.
Congrats on the fiance and finding a home!

If you didn't have your fiance/gf down there...Think you would stay?
Thanks man

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Its hard to say man. Post-college professional life (I am a financial advisor) is much different then what we are used to. I moved here solely for work and when your working full time its hard to make friends. I was down here 8 months alone and in that time I did make a few friends but honestly when your working 40+ hours a week there's not a ton of time to get out. I found myself spending a lot of time thinking about all of my good friends still together and haing a blast while I am sitting in a so called paradise alone. Its then you realize how important your family and true friends are. I wont lie, I was getting pretty lonely before she decided to come and considering moving back to NY. All of my good friends are up there and even had a job at a firm there if i would have so chosen. All in all, its probably a 50 50 shot if i would have stayed or left with out her. I think i would have likely stayed another year or two then headed back. Things got substantially better too b/c my parents retired and bought a condo down here last month so they will be here next winter too. I no longer feel alone down here and together we will likely stay.

The truth is I am getting older and the young 20s lifestyle of partying and stuff is phasing out. Even if i was single and moved back home things would never be like they were 2 years ago when i was in school and had all the time in the world to party and be wild. The other truth is this is likely the last time in your life you will be able to pick up and move so easily, so i say give it a shot. Who knows maybe you will meet the right people and love it. If i can get one point across to you i guess it would be to really analyze your reasons for this move. If your list comes out and the only thing you have is weather then you may want to give it a second thought. If things such as career, new experiences come up, then go for it b/c you never know where life will lead!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 AM

56 posts, read 57,577 times
Funny, we are thinking of moving "South" to MA because the NH winters are too much.

You are young and if you are adaptable, will be fine. Yes, missing family and things going on at home is difficult.

If you can live somewhere better (quality of life?) then there are trade offs. If you are well off enough you can take a plane home when you need to!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 AM

I'm in the construction industry doing management. From what I hear the industry is booming down south (as it is in the north). I've got a good job. But I don't have the best work/life balance. Does anyone making a decent salary in there 20s though? Probably not...at least in my industry.
I'd probably have the same job opportunities down south as a I would here.

Having your parents down there is huge! I often think that once they hit upper 60's how I'll feel because they'll most likely stay in Mass..I imagine.

I'm definitely not looking for the next party because some of my friends are settling down (- which I'll admit is getting tough)
I've had a lot of fun..but am getting older and am just as content taking it easy on a Saturday night watching the Bruins.

Main reason is the weather - definitely.
Love being able to whatever I want on my downtime without being buried in snow.
Or driving in the snow to work.
Wearing the layers, starting and scraping the car off in the AM.
It would be a nice thing not to deal with

Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Yea that would be nice, especially since I'm guessing you work outside a lot. Although I will say being outside all day down here sucks in the summer rather than winter. It gets ridiculously hot and humid, but if I was in your place truthfully id rather deal with that then snow and freezing cold. The construction industry is booming in Florida no doubt. Everywhere i go they are building newer, bigger, and better roads, houses, apartments, ect. I say give it a try man, you can always go back if you don't like it. I have no idea what the salary for that type of job is down here, but honestly if you can make 45k you will will live comfortably; not luxurious but comfortably.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 AM

Sounds like you don't miss the winter at all.
Funny - even my parents will say this - even as a young kid I never liked the winter.

This past one I finally got my own apartment with a buddy, didn't have to shovel or anything but after the first storm/snowday from work the
'stuck inside so lets drink and play video games all day' got old.

And yes, unless i'd be managing an interior..I'd be working outside in the January winds..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.