U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,930 times

Advertisements

I could live in a rural area, as long as it was near a city with at least 50,000. Smaller than that and there just isn't enough amenities for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I'm most comfortable in a cozy neighborhood within a large metro, exactly like where I live now. I've also lived in a historic town of 400, which I loved.

I could be happy anywhere as long as it wasn't Wyoming-like remote, and had access to a major metro/airport within an hour or so.
Yeah, I'm sort of the same way. I don't know what it is, but I need to feel an energy coming from the place I live even if I'm not a part of it all the time. No idea if that makes any sense or not.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 AM

522 posts, read 555,798 times
100,000 at the minimum for me. I live in a town of only 6000 now and it's much too small.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,856,811 times
Currently live in a small to medium sized town of 27k and growing. 40 minutes north of dayton. I prefer a small town(15-30k) within 30 minutes of a large city, 100k plus. We plan to move in a year or two and are targeting a small town of 15k pop but lots of shopping and nightlife nearby. I feel the area we live right now is rather boring.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

1,743 posts, read 959,963 times
I would be happy anywhere as long as I had my family and friends. But I could not live in the city center. (I like Dallas) I'd still want to live on the outskirts so so I can still enjoy myself - sports games, concerts, amusement parks, water parks, movie theaters, etc.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:04 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,956 times
For me to live in a town, it would have to be somewhere walkable, quirky, and liberal that's close (within a 90 minute drive) to a major (2 million+) metro area and outdoor activities. I also need four season and good produce. The smallest place I can think of that matches that criteria is Morgantown, West Virginia.

However, there could be smaller places in the Hudson River Valley or Western Massachusetts that could work too.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
Generally would prefer a metro of at least 2 million but there are exceptions. Austin, Honolulu, and New Orleans are metro's under that threshold I would definitely consider living in.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,073,550 times
Since I've been an adult, I've lived in medium-sized metros (3 million), smallish exurbs/outlying standalone cities (35,000), and small towns (9,000 in the middle of nowhere). But ultimately I prefer progressive, outdoorsy cities between about 40k-120k with metros of 200k-400k. I've found that the size is manageable, the traffic is reasonable, you can get in and out of town easily, and you have most of the amenities that have in larger cities-and even a little bit of urban life. Cities any smaller, as my wife and I found out, will be relegated to temporary visits or vacations.

Cities fitting the criteria I desire include Santa Fe, Bend, Flagstaff, Bozeman, Asheville, Burlington (VT), Bozeman, Missoula, Eugene, and my new(ish) home of Bellingham, WA. Added points for being within a two hour drive of a decent-sized city, for cheaper flights and the occasional taste of a city.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:33 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
For me to live in a town, it would have to be somewhere walkable, quirky, and liberal that's close (within a 90 minute drive) to a major (2 million+) metro area and outdoor activities. I also need four season and good produce. The smallest place I can think of that matches that criteria is Morgantown, West Virginia.

However, there could be smaller places in the Hudson River Valley or Western Massachusetts that could work too.
Perhaps a place like Durham NH or Newark DE would fit, as the first isn't too far from Boston and the second is pretty close to Baltimore, DC and Philadelphia(NYC may be within 90 minutes too).

Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

Actually, this is true for me as well. But for my wife, we need to be in a moderately dense part of a >2 million metro. For me and for Jax she's willing to compromise to 1.4 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.